PETA again - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 04-23-2003, 12:18 AM   #1
midnightline
PETA again

PETA Urges Hamburg, N.Y., to Change Name

HAMBURG, N.Y. (AP) -- A national animal rights group has offered Hamburg officials $15,000 to change the town's name to Veggieburg.

"The town's name conjures up visions of unhealthy patties of ground-up dead cows," said Joe Haptas, spokesman of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, or PETA, in a letter faxed Monday to Hamburg Supervisor Patrick Hoak.

PETA offered to supply area schools with $15,000 worth of non-meat patties for the name change.

"Our offer is serious as a heart attack," Haptas said.

Hoak immediately declined.

"With all due respect, I think it's a delicacy in our community," he said about hamburgers. "We're proud of our name and proud of our heritage."

The Buffalo suburb, named Hamburg since 1812, claims to be the birth place of the American culinary staple. Hamburg commemorates the birth of hamburgers at the annual Burgerfest.

In 1996, PETA proposed that the Hudson Valley town of Fishkill change its centuries-old name to Fishsave, since the group believed the name conjured up violent imagery of dead fish.

The town was named by Dutch settlers in the early 1600s. "Kill" is the Dutch word for "stream."

The article

Old 04-23-2003, 01:17 AM   #2
Clay Davenport
The arrogance of Peta and the sheer stupidity of pretty much everything they suggest is a never ending source of amusement.

With annual revenue in excess of $10 million though, they apparently don't want the town's name changed that bad, only offering them 15 grand.
Heck they gave 3 times that much for the legal defense of animal rights terrorist Rodney Coronado when he fire bombed that research facility.

Old 04-23-2003, 01:27 AM   #3
Darin Chappell
Since PETA is so big on name changes these days, I have this suggestion for them. How about:

Monetarily

Oriented

Radicals

Organizing

Nothing

Soundly

I think its appropriate!

Old 04-23-2003, 04:04 AM   #4
WebSlave
I've always liked this:

People
Eating
Tasty
Animals

Old 04-23-2003, 04:44 PM   #5
Uffern
The only reason I am saying this instead of keeping the name to myself is because I will probably never be able to get it started. My thought was:

PETRO
People (for the)
Ethical
Treatment (of)
Reptile
Owners

Old 04-23-2003, 05:14 PM   #6
Seamus Haley
I've got one of the People Eating Tasty Animals T-Shirts...

Not sure where he gets them made up but Ken Foose out in Las Vegas sold me mine.

It's always popular wherever there are people who have never eaten wheat grass in their lives congregating.

Old 04-24-2003, 08:00 PM   #7
John Apple
Ya'all forgot this one
peta=stupidity

I am truly amazed that they have this much time on thier hands,
actually I am glad they have all this time on thier hands.
Imagine the trouble these 'folks' could do to our hobby if they had some focus.

Old 04-24-2003, 09:09 PM   #8
E2MacPets
Some friends of mine are considering planning a BBQ in Virginia Beach at PeTA headquarters..... Anyone interested?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!