Odd thing I noticed - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-30-2009, 12:58 PM   #1
outlawkatt
Odd thing I noticed

Recently my boyfriends mother has agreed to watch one of her co workers little beardy. She had been informed that she would have to force feed the little fellow as he does not eat other wise. That was the first thing that tipped her off so, she did some research on line (good move). She found a forum on beardies and thought that the reason he might not be eating is because he was trying to hibernate. Later that day when she got him out it was discovered that he was having problems moving his back legs, and one of his fronts. Her friend had said that when she got the little guy he was fine up and walking around and eating with no problem. He can move only by trying to slither around like a snake. He has the will to move around he just can’t do it as well. I was wondering if anyone else had seen this. I am thinking he had a fall and some nerve damage was caused by it, or he was sick and nerve damage happened. I tried to ask where she bought the little dragon because; I have had problems with animals purchased from pet smart. Thanks for your time and, please no negative comments. We did not hurt this little fellow we are just trying to fix him.

Old 09-30-2009, 02:01 PM   #2
angie.h
It probably has a severe case of calcium deficiency which leads to metabolic bone disease.Could also have partial paralysis from eating prey item that was too large.Ask what size crickets it was eating.They should be no longer than the width of his little head.In treating the cal.deficiency,it's best to take it to a reptile vet.If they can't/won't,then get some liquid calcium [like calglucon] from a drugstore and use small syringe to administer.You MUST have a 100 degree basking spot and proper uvb light like Repti-sun 10.0.Getting it in the SUN will DO WONDERS...and works much more quickly than the bulb.Don't leave it out to fry..if it can't move well,take it out supervised for 35-40 min.a day if you can.If it does have impaction[from substrate or large prey item]soak in lukewarm water[ while you watch that it doesn't drown]This can help to move it's bowels.Can you list how the dragon is set up?Hope you can help the little one...

Old 09-30-2009, 04:23 PM   #3
outlawkatt
yes, I will get info from the temporary care taker when she gets home. The owner had tried soaking the little one in warm water under the advice of the care takers husband. They once had an iguana that was fed a hot dog and the owner of the pet store they bought her at told them to soak her in a tub or warm water. The little one seemed to do better after the first soak so maybe we should try again. I will pass the word along as well and will see if we can get this guy back onto his feet.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:06 PM   #4
angie.h
The reason that newer beardie owners don't suspect cal. deficiency is b/c many times they are using the powder.What they don't know is that too low of a basking temp,not enough uvb can keep them from absorbing it..that's why putting them in the sun can make an improvement even in one or two days.If the weather permits,make sure that they try it.Just let it lay in the grass if it's really hot[in Utah?]On a cool but sunny day you can still get them out by putting in a plastic tote[the plastic will absorb the heat,clear bins don't absorb anywhere near as much as a colored bin] but again,be sure to supervise .

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!