Wanted Homopus in the USA - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Classifieds > Other For Sale/Wanteds Classifieds > Turtles/Tortoises

Notices

Old 03-05-2021, 07:20 PM   #11
capuzzi2
Xavi has a CITES contact but there would be stuff to do on your end. If you are on FB, you gotta check him out. He also breeds psammabotes (?sp) as well as almost all super rare and beautiful chelonians. There is nobody in the US anywhere near his resourcefulness. He is doing in Europe now what Zovick did here in the 70's and 80's

Old 03-05-2021, 07:25 PM   #12
Tpa1679
CITES vs. federal CB wildlife permit

I see CITES and USFWS endangered status confused all the time- CITES only regulates trade between countries. All tortoises for example are listed by CITES in Appendix II.

The Captive Bred Wildlife Permit for interstate sales is a requirement of the Endangered Species Act and is implemented by USFWS for species they consider to be endangered- but that listing is independent of CITES.

For example, Pancakes are now listed as CITES I, but they're not listed as endangered by the US Fish and Wildlife Service. Therefore, they can be be bought and sold across state lines.

I hope this helps and clears up some confusion.. Fortunately for us, if an animal does go CITES I, it means they can still be bought and sold across state borders, until, and if, the federal government would list that species as endangered.

Now that all being said, there's once again a federal bill pending that would prevent the USFWS from listing animals that don't live in the U.S. as endangered. If that legislation were successful, the whole CB permit system would go away.... Thanks for reading! -Tom

Old 03-07-2021, 12:21 AM   #13
Potawatomi13
Dan; Are you familiar with Victor Loehr? (spelling?)

Old 03-07-2021, 08:02 AM   #14
gelegans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potawatomi13 View Post
Dan; Are you familiar with Victor Loehr? (spelling?)
Thanks William. Yes I am and I am in contact with him.
  Contact User Check User
Old 03-07-2021, 03:40 PM   #15
Mighty J
In case anybody is interested in learning a bit more about Parrot Beaks, there is this, notwithstanding its vintage: Barzyk, J.E. 1994. Husbandry and captive breeding of the parrot-beaked tortoise, Homopus areolatus. Chelonian Conservation and Biology 1: 138-141.

Old 03-07-2021, 04:01 PM   #16
PA2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty J View Post
In case anybody is interested in learning a bit more about Parrot Beaks, there is this, notwithstanding its vintage: Barzyk, J.E. 1994. Husbandry and captive breeding of the parrot-beaked tortoise, Homopus areolatus. Chelonian Conservation and Biology 1: 138-141.
Homopus = my dream tortoise. Diminutive size, coloration and adaptations to such a harsh environment. Thanks to those who explained CITES and the book reference. I'm following Xavi as well, he is the real deal.

Sure hope Dan finds what he is looking for...

Old 03-07-2021, 04:18 PM   #17
Bay Area Chelonia
FYI - Xavi has been raided by feds before for his interesting ways of "acquiring and selling" animals. Maybe not your best model to follow...

Old 03-07-2021, 04:43 PM   #18
capuzzi2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Area Chelonia View Post
FYI - Xavi has been raided by feds before for his interesting ways of "acquiring and selling" animals. Maybe not your best model to follow...
He lives in Spain. Do you have documentation of this?

Old 03-07-2021, 11:17 PM   #19
pfds31
Anyone have any idea how he acquires the Homopus because the wild population is already dying off because of illegal collection, or for the pet trade.

Old 08-15-2023, 07:51 PM   #20
HoosierTorts
Homopus in the USA

I realize this is an old thread, but yes they are here in the US at two different facilities(possibly more but at least two).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!