A whole room to herself?! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-28-2017, 06:57 PM   #1
KattChaos
A whole room to herself?!

So, I have a 6ft female Boa named Ruby. I moved about a month ago and when I did I had to move her into a long tub. Well, I am now settled and I can move her out of said tub. I have a room that is about the size of a half bath or maybe a little bigger. I planned on putting a heating pad on the floor with a blanket or dog bed on top of it, along with hides. I was wondering if anyone has done this before and what did you learn from it? Best way to go about it, etc? Also, I need an idea on how to keep the Heater I use to heat the room away from her so she can't hurt herself?

Thank you in advance for all the Help!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Old 10-28-2017, 07:29 PM   #2
JCCS
Honestly, this would be a bad decision in regards to husbandry. It's just too hard to control. If you got the humidity up to where it needs to be during shed cycles, you're going to cause mold and corrode drywall and paint. It would be excessively expensive to heat to ambient and the room heaters that could do that would kill the humidity. If you want her to have a nice big environment, get a commercial 6x2x2 cage. Boas and almost all snakes spend almost their entire lives in spaces they can barely shove themselves into in order to feel secure. It's a weird concept when you think of animal rights, but providing large, open areas to a snake, you are generally lowering it's quality of life due to stress levels. At best, you're wasting the space as the snake will rarely, rarely utilize 95% of the room.

Old 10-28-2017, 07:35 PM   #3
KattChaos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCCS View Post
Honestly, this would be a bad decision in regards to husbandry. It's just too hard to control. If you got the humidity up to where it needs to be during shed cycles, you're going to cause mold and corrode drywall and paint. It would be excessively expensive to heat to ambient and the room heaters that could do that would kill the humidity. If you want her to have a nice big environment, get a commercial 6x2x2 cage. Boas and almost all snakes spend almost their entire lives in spaces they can barely shove themselves into in order to feel secure. It's a weird concept when you think of animal rights, but providing large, open areas to a snake, you are generally lowering it's quality of life due to stress levels. At best, you're wasting the space as the snake will rarely, rarely utilize 95% of the room.
I didn't think of that. I'm gonna build her a enclosure that will fit in the room. Thank you.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!