Nile monitor vs Savannah monitor - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

View Poll Results: What monitor makes the best pet?
Nile monitor 12 18.46%
Savannah monitor 53 81.54%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-26-2008, 06:16 PM   #11
Kjetil_m
Hey everybody! I'd like to thank you all for your exellent advice, and it seems there are quite some interrest in monitors. Well.. I went to the Daytona reptile breeder expo this weekend, and i ended up buying a Argus monitor. He is two months old and about six feet long and is a real beauty! I'll show you guys a video of him here..

What do you think?

Argus monitor

Old 08-26-2008, 10:50 PM   #12
Digby Rigby
2 months old and six feet long?!?!?!?!?

What are they feeding it, for it to be 6 feet and two months old? Argus are a very fun monitor. They are eating, breeding crapping machines. Always active. They will need dirt to dig and a lot of room to move and climb. Basking spot at least 130 degrees. This is my favorite Argus picture! Someone showed it to me a few years ago I kept it in my favorites.

Digby Rigby balboa28279@mypacks.net

Old 08-27-2008, 12:32 AM   #13
dimperdoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digby Rigby
What are they feeding it, for it to be 6 feet and two months old?
lol - yeah it's a little shy of 6'
Quote:
That's probably one of the most badass pictures I've ever seen of herps...
-it looks like they are standing on someone's porch waiting for them to answer the door?

Old 08-27-2008, 04:04 AM   #14
DJReptile
If you want a big lizard get yourself an Argentine Black&White Tegu or a Red Tegu. They're gonna be a whole lot nicer and calmer animals from the start than either of the monitors you mentioned. If you must get a monitor, of the two you mentioned the sav is hands down the better animal. As previously mentioned Savannah Monitors are much more content to respond with violence AFTER you've mishandled it while Nile's like to get their responding in first. Additionally a Nile Monitor can get a foot or two longer than a Sav and is going to be far more active and water loving than a Sav. In closing, don't get a Nile, don't get a Nile, don't get a Nile.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:03 PM   #15
Kjetil_m
Quote:
What are they feeding it, for it to be 6 feet and two months old?
Hehehe.. Sorry for the typo I off course meant 6 inches Hehehehe XD

I have given him a cage measuring 3x3x4 from cagesbydesign. Hopefully it will last him six months atleast.. We are feeding him large crickets and we have also given him a few pinkies after we got him home. He loves chasing those crickets!

Anybody know what would be an exellent diet for this little man?

Thanks for all the replies to this post!

Old 08-29-2008, 01:23 AM   #16
dimperdoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjetil_m
I have given him a cage measuring 3x3x4 from cagesbydesign. Hopefully it will last him six months atleast.. We are feeding him large crickets and we have also given him a few pinkies after we got him home. He loves chasing those crickets!
Keep in mind he will want to burrow - you'll probably notice him dig at his substrate even if it's something he will never make a dent in - I don't know what the best sub is - but people recommend potting soil (be careful for stuff w/ additives) and even finding ideal soil in the wild (which would get baked)
Quote:
Quote:
large crickets... ...a few pinkies
F/T mice should be adequate - maybe dust w/ your favorite vitamins occasionally - maybe he'll prefer live - they sure seem to enjoy the chase...

Old 08-29-2008, 01:44 AM   #17
MicroZooKits
Quote:
Chicken
Steak
Pinky or Fuzzy Mice
Full Size Crickets
Superworms
Roaches

All dusted with reptile vitamins and calcium

Make sure you give him a generous amount of calcium while he's growing to ensure proper bone development

Old 07-01-2009, 12:16 PM   #18
lizardlover101
i think they are both beautiful animals
i personally own a savannah moniter but am looking for a nile as well
if you know anyone willing to trade for an iguana that is about 2 feet in length
nile must be at least 1.5 feet
i can be reach by email
clutch29@ymail.com

Old 07-02-2009, 08:11 PM   #19
lizardlover101
well u see monitors can be much more aggressive then geckos and iguanas...regardless.i have a savannah and it isnt the nicest thing in the world but if u work with them every day they should be alrite but dont risk it...and also feeding it live food makes them more aggressive

Old 02-10-2010, 04:51 AM   #20
davidc555
yeah im 16 i have had both and i have had the water monitors i would definatly get a sav its way calmer and nicer but i wouldent go wit one that aint captive bred the wild cought ones are mean and have really bad attitudes i hava nile baby rite now she is about 2 foot nose to talk i got her like 3 weeks ago i gave her a week to get use to her new invroment i went to grab her she was fin for a second the she snaped her tail and turned her head around and bit me it dident hurt bad cuz shes only a baby but i cant wait to get bit when shes bigger thats gunna hurt a lil bit lol

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!