Anyone have a blue-tailed monitor (Varanus doreanus)? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-18-2010, 10:03 AM   #1
Sssnakemom31
Anyone have a blue-tailed monitor (Varanus doreanus)?

I am getting a baby soon, and would appreciate hearing from anyone else who has or has had one of these beauties! Please respond with details and photos - thanks a lot!

Kathy

Old 02-18-2010, 01:21 PM   #2
TailsWithScales
What information are you looking for???

I will have to see if I have photos of my doreanus saved on a disk.

I've owned two. One was for sure a male the other unknown. Both were a handful and not 'pets'. The unknown had a better temperament then the male. The male was flat out rude. Most doreanus are this way especially once they hit sexual maturity around 2 years old.

They get good sized so they'll need a very large cage. They average 4-5 foot but 6 foot isn't unheard of. You'll need at least 6'x8'x6' cage. The guys are huge climbers and need to eat everyday! They require high humidity being from a tropical climate. Humidity around 80-85%. Hot spot 130, ambient 88-90, cool 78-80.

Again be mindful of the fact that 95% of the time doreanus is a display only animal.

Old 04-02-2010, 05:33 PM   #3
eschmit04
I have a bit of info. Acquired one myself recently. Amazing monitor!

What are you after?

Old 04-02-2010, 05:39 PM   #4
Sssnakemom31
Thanks s much for replying ... alas, I was not able to get the little one after all; some family medical issues came up that I had to deal with, as well as my car taking a dive ... I'd love to see what yours looks like though!! I certainly have a soft spot for them now!!

Kathy

Old 04-02-2010, 11:51 PM   #5
eschmit04
I will see of I can post some pics of him soon. He is awesome! I am working with him daily and he is becoming very tolerable of human interaction and very fun to work with. Not for everyone... but if you really love working with reptiles (even on their terms) this monitor can be a lot of fun!

Thanks,
Ed

Old 04-25-2010, 05:45 PM   #6
s4sainz
Best Recommendation, is to get one as a baby, and work with it. Most that are imported are wc adults, that have already reached sexual maturity, and have no history background, and are typically not pet quality. I found this species to be more similar to Varanus Indicus as far as temperament wise, but very similar in resemblance to Varanus Jobiensis, only difference is the peach coloring of the throat. Ive had better luck keeping peach throat monitors though, more docile in my opion, and not as flighty or aggressive as blue tails, and they look the same, just add a peach throat coloring.

Old 04-25-2010, 05:47 PM   #7
s4sainz
the blood is due to minor nose rub

Heres some better picture

Old 04-26-2010, 06:59 PM   #8
eschmit04
Why is he in that cage? that is no where near a proper cage for that species. The nose rub could also be from stress if there is no proper hides in the cage. they do stress easily but with the proper husbandry and care seem to calm down well.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:05 PM   #9
s4sainz
Ed, before you jump the gun, that is not his permanent cage, that was just a cage i had simply put him in to get some rays, i put all my lizards in screen cages for about an hour or two to soak up some rays. Nose Rub is very common on ANY WC Species, that doesnt necessarily mean stress is the cause. I keep multiple hiding spots in all my enclosure's, but some animals just never really settle down especially WC Adults, who have never been handled.
As far as my experience with this species, they are very flighty, timid, and some what aggressive, in my opion. Well the WC Adults are, babies are much better.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!