Nevada Exotic animal ban - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > General Legislative Discussions

Notices

General Legislative Discussions Any general discussion concerning legislative issues or events. Not necessarily specific to a particular region, or even a type of animal group.

Old 07-18-2012, 03:22 PM   #1
EricWI
Nevada Exotic animal ban

Chimps' escape prompts push to ban exotic animals in Nevada

Las Vegas, NV (KTNV) -- Long before Buddy and CJ escaped from their cage at home in Las Vegas, moves were underway to ban private ownership of exotic animals in residential neighborhoods.

According to State Senator Michael Roberson, "The Humane Society contacted me. They wanted to see this kind of legislation in Nevada based on what happened in Ohio last year when you had 50 or so wild animals intentionally set free."

Roberson says last week's episode highlights the need for legislation he's working on now.

He says, "Right now. you can have a wild animal that can be incredibly dangerous anywhere in Southern Nevada as long as you get a permit from Clark County. I'm going to try to stop that."

Wild animals ranging from primates to lions live in at least 14 county neighborhoods.

Until about a month ago, six tigers lived at 6775 Whispering Sands in the northwest part of the valley, but the next door neighbor says she was ok with that. She does not think private ownership of exotic animals should be banned.

The woman did not want to be identified, but tells Action News she was not afraid of the wild animals. She says, "They were locked down. There were several cages that they were into. It wasn't just one door that got in and out of there."

But cages are a concern.

There are no rules on what types of enclosures should be used for specific wild animals. Only animals involved in commercial ventures fall under the U.S. Department of Agriculture's purview. Buddy and CJ performed as Chimps-R-Us.

Even then, according to U.S.D.A. spokesman David Saxe, federal inspectors only check for health and safety under the Animal Welfare Act. Saxe says, if a private citizen wanted a tiger or a chimp as a pet, the U.S.D.A. would not be involved.

Roberson says he plans to have a draft of his exotic animal ban ready for the public to view within a couple of weeks. The U.S.D.A. will investigate Chimps-R-Us, and have a report ready for public view within 21 days of an inspection.
www.ktnv.com/news/local/162664626.html

Old 07-19-2012, 12:15 PM   #2
sincitydragons
I'm not going to say that I condone the private ownership of primates like chimps but when they use a general term like "exotics" it worries me. Especially so because I live in Nevada and keep "exotics", none of which are illegal or primates. I find it interesting that just a couple of months ago a 1 year old was killed by the family dog in one terrifying and tragic instant for no apparent reason and no ones up in arms trying to ban dogs. But two chimps get out of somewhere they've lived for years and don't even hurt anyone and all of a sudden theres a need for a ban?

Old 07-19-2012, 02:35 PM   #3
bullies&balls
the most worriesome part of all this, is the fact the government offical LETS HSUS tell him what to do. All forms of Goernment should tell the to back off !!! They (HSUS) have no problem using threats, like in Ohio towards the farmers to push their agenda. Last time I looked that was a crime!!! Pretty sad that our state and federal gov is spinless towards these freaks..

Old 07-19-2012, 02:55 PM   #4
Jasin
I'm sure it he did not let them "tell him" what to do. It probably went more like this:

HSUS/PETA: "We will donate ($$$insert large sum of money here$$$) to your campaign if you push this legislation."

Politician: "Oh, well, let me think about it. How bout you make it ($$$$$insert EVEN larger sum of money here) and we got a deal!! I need that money to get my pathetic, worthless, useless job back in November!!!!"

Sad, but it's how the game works...........

Old 07-20-2012, 12:39 AM   #5
Snakeholic
More people die and attack by dogs and horses every year!
Im not gonna have a corrupt politician dictate my life what I can and cant keep as a pet!
Laws will not keep the public from keeping illegal pets, whats gonna get hurt is when these politicians goes to extreme and goes into banning rampage.
Ive read some part in article that large snakes (pythons) is also being look at. (now thats over the line if you ask me).

Old 07-20-2012, 12:48 AM   #6
Snakeholic
heres the link, "large constricting snakes"
http://www.lvrj.com/news/state-senat...162589176.html

Old 07-20-2012, 10:20 AM   #7
salottimc
Look how far out of their way people in Nevada went to save the dog that killed a one year old boy.

http://www.examiner.com/article/neva...ted-a-reprieve

Old 07-21-2012, 03:20 AM   #8
Arachno
Why hasn't USARK said anything about this?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!