Ohio Falls - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > General Legislative Discussions

Notices

General Legislative Discussions Any general discussion concerning legislative issues or events. Not necessarily specific to a particular region, or even a type of animal group.

Old 05-25-2012, 05:59 AM   #11
snakemansam
Reduces liability insurance requirement to $200K (from $250K)
when party has five or fewer dangerous wild animals.

Changes application fee to $250 (from $500) for persons having
not more than three dangerous wild animals.
367-368 54-56 Changes application fee to $500 (from $1,000) for persons
having 4-10 dangerous wild animals.
369 57-59 Changes application fee to $1,000 (from $2,000) for persons
having 11-15 dangerous wild animals.
370 60-64 Changes application fee to $1,000 plus $125 per additional
animal over 15 for persons having more than 15 dangerous wild
animals.

Not quite the same is it Ed....the most dangerous part is they can add any animal any time with just a vote..no due process....Maybe Jersey will pass something like this and then add some lizards....not quite so funny is it Ed

Old 05-25-2012, 02:20 PM   #12
Ed Clark
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakemansam View Post
Not quite the same is it Ed....the most dangerous part is they can add any animal any time with just a vote..no due process....Maybe Jersey will pass something like this and then add some lizards....not quite so funny is it Ed
Not funny at all,sounds rather excessive.

Old 05-25-2012, 02:36 PM   #13
sschind
Things like this are very controversial within the hobby. Its not like an all out ban which we all, for the most part are opposed to. Well, I guess in the long run it will be an all out ban because no permits for new animals will be issued but what I am referring to is a permit system in general that would allow new permits to be issued.

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with requiring anyone wanting to own a bear or a lion to have to purchase a permit. I don't see anything wrong with requiring someone who wants to own an alligator or a reticulated python or a Nile monitor to have a permit. Where the problem comes in is where do you draw the line. Should it be a size limit? Should it depend on the number of exotics owned (an irresponsible owner with one animal is worse than a responsible one with 5 or 10 or 20) Should it be all exotics from the anaconda to the viper gecko? Of course part of the reason I don't see problems with permits is because I have no desire to own any of these "dangerous" animals. On the other hand, even if I did I don't think I would have a problem with permits. After all, I need a license for my dog (and he can't even drive)

My biggest beef with things like this is the intentionally vague wording that seems to be all too common with legislation like this. In my opinion if the government is going to tell us we can't own something we should know exactly what it is we can't own. If we are going to be required to have permits for animals we should know exactly what animals will require the permits. Terms like "exotic" and "dangerous" have no place in legislation like this. What is and is not allowed needs to be spelled out. If they want to regulate (ban, require permits for or whatever) pythons does that mean all pythons, children's and balls included, or just the big ones. The illegal stuff needs to be listed and new illegal stuff down the road should not be allowed simply at the whim of a few people. What is and is not allowed should not be open for interpretation.

I have not read the exact proposed legislation for Ohio but from the articles I've read here and on a few sites while doing a quick google search I am lead to believe that exotics means pretty much EVERYTHING. From lions and tigers and bears to pac man frogs, corn snakes and hedgehogs. I don't know if this is spelled out or if these fears are just the interpretations of some of the most paranoid people. Please don't be offended by my use of the word paranoid. If you in fact interpret the proposed legislation as a worst case scenario it just goes to prove my point about the vagueness of such legislation.

Anyway, back to the permits. I do not think they are unreasonable for certain animals but those animals need to be specified and the cost of the permits must not be too substantial. No one should have to pay anything to keep 1 or 2 or even a half a dozen leopard geckos but if you own a crocodile an anaconda and a tiger I don't see a problem with a $25.00 or $50.00 per year permit. Granted, I don't know what that $25.00 or $50.00 per year would accomplish.

I'll leave you with this final thought. Every single person who has ever committed a crime has already broken an existing law. Are MORE laws really the answer?

Old 05-27-2012, 05:38 AM   #14
Kodieh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Clark View Post
Not funny at all,sounds rather excessive.
I think the best honest example, which I think makes more of a fool out of you than your own words, is "If we outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns". Basically, what I'm saying is, how is it fair to ANYONE if you make it financially impossible to maintain a collection? Under this law, I would have to pay eight $250 "permits", and would have to establish a $1,000,000 liability insurance policy. We'll say, conservatively, that the MONTHLY fee for this insurance is ONLY $500.

So, 8 x 250 = $2,000.
Plus the $500 to begin the liability.
So, start up alone is $2,500. On top of all my other expenses for food and bedding. Then, thereafter, I would be paying $500 a month (On my, you know, $600 typical paycheck at the part time job I work to fund my hobby while I'm in school).

That's not very small or modest, is it?
But wait! I have till 2014 to get everything "in order"! Oh wait, I've got a couple snakes on payment plans because of tax refund. And, I planned on going to the next large scale reptile show to get a couple new genes to put into the pot. So, conservatively by my words, that's minimum four more "dangerous animals". So, another $1,000 to come up with by 2014.

You're an absolute moron if you think this bill establishes anything good. The only good in it is about a permit system, which yes I agree that we should have those so people don't just release them in the park, but this permit price is ridiculous.

Old 05-27-2012, 11:44 AM   #15
middyman717
Here in pa we dont need permits for exotics! or none native to pa i have fallow deer no permit needed but if i keep whitetails i need a permit.if i keep lions or tigers/leopards ect! i need to have 2 years Experience working with big cats! they inspect my pens to get a permit !fact there are more people killed by whitetail bucks than big cats in pens its just so they can keep a eye on what you have ! Not for peoples safety if i do have permits for exotics whats to stop somthing from getting out of my pens or me just letting it go! its all B.S Any animal can be dangerous if i have pittbulls i have to regester them with the police here so they know i have a dangerous animal

Old 05-27-2012, 11:50 PM   #16
Dulaney's Cresties N More
Ed Clark you are a moron and should keep you idiotic comments to your self. $250 per animal and $1,000,000 liability insurance is a little bit different then you $15 to $100 permit don't you think. And with there lack of specification to what is actually on this bill is more aggrivating then anything. They could put my cresties on there and cost me $2,000 for them per year since they are "exotic". The biggest problem with this issue is that most of these people that are deciding for us have probably ever seen half of the animals they are trying to ban, I am sure they know nothing about them, and are going off of hear say from people that are doing anything they can to take our animals out of our hands. Ed I would have no problem paying $100 a year for my animals but $250 each is absolutley redicilous. I think the funniest thing is there are exotic animals in 99% of the homes in the U.S. considering dogs and cats had to be imported into the country hundreds of years ago because there were none here to begin with!!!!!

Old 05-27-2012, 11:56 PM   #17
AbsoluteApril
Warning: name calling is not allowed

Old 05-28-2012, 12:22 AM   #18
Ed Clark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulaney's Cresties N More View Post
Ed Clark you are a moron and should keep you idiotic comments to your self.
Perhaps you would be better served taking your arguments to your Legislators and governor letting your feelings be known in a more positive manner than calling me names.

Old 05-28-2012, 01:42 AM   #19
middyman717
if this ban goes thru in ohio and you owen exotic pets you wont be able to sell any exotic in ohio because you will have to put a number of each species you have and wont be able to sell to anyone in ohio with or without permits and certain cities animals wont be able to cross state lines and any cats with spots or stripes cant cross state lines! tigers/leopards/servals/ect they could pass a law if you have it you can keep it with permits but no breeding it! and dont say it cant happen ask some of the ranchers in texas and other states who have scimitar horned oryx /addax/and damma gazelles !

Old 05-30-2012, 03:21 PM   #20
mbm6
The question is why does a person with a 20 ft retic need a permit? There is no real need to protect anyone in Ohio eight months a years they wouldn't last but a day outside.
There is no real danger no one is endangered by large snakes In Ohio. Why are other reptile owners of corn snakes or leopard geckos so quick to agree to permits? because it won't effect them not today anyhow. Your day will come. look at how many new silly laws are passed each year to "protect us" from what? this is just on other tax.

as for Terry Thompson there is much more to the story. ever wonder why a person with keys to cages would cut fencing and locks off of cages to let them go, instead of opening them with the keys, them commit suicide?

animals which he loved and cared for for years.
a lot of things don't add up unless you want to pass a law.

If the law required the same of dog owners ,which have caused far more injuries to humans in Ohio, as they do for snake owners, this bill would have failed and if passed every legislator would have been voted out of office.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!