Housing for California King Snake - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Kingsnakes & Milksnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-11-2004, 06:06 PM   #1
antwan212k
Housing for California King Snake

I just changed her tank a few days ago. I use to have the wood chips and just the log. I added the plant with a branch and put down the reptile carpet, she is much more active now with something to crawl around on, but the only thing I need to figure out is what I can use for a hiding spot on the cool side. The last thing I need to know is what is the best way to feed her because I wanna start feeding her in the tank now. I plan to drop the mice in the front, left corner when she isnt looking, would that be ok?
Attached Images

Old 08-12-2004, 09:09 PM   #2
The Reptile House
Cage looks nice but...

Do not start feeding it in it's living cage, always feed in another cage, the reason is they will asociate you with being fed so every time you want to go in and get it to take it out you may very well be struck and and bit when done so. it will think every time you go in it is being fed. Always a great idea to feed in another container. You can also put some climbing branches in there if you like, some do like to climb. They sell all sorts of cool looking caves, some look like real rocks some like trees you can use those for great hide spots. With the cage carpet make sure you take it out often and clean it off since there is nothing for the urin to soak into you do not want her to keep slithering back through it. Just clean it off with soap and water but do not put it back in wet dry it off first. Hope this helps but definatly don't feed her in the same cage she lives in.

Shanell

Old 08-12-2004, 09:18 PM   #3
jenn_jeffery
No kidding on not feeding in the same cage it lives in!! I made the mistake of doing this with my Cal. King, and if I so much as touch the lid to his cage, he's surfing the top, waiting to tag the first thing that enters. It's pretty embarrassing to have to wear gloves or use a hook to get a 2-2.5 ft. kingsnake out....

Old 08-12-2004, 09:46 PM   #4
The Reptile House
Did you switch it back to feeding it in another conatiner, if so it should tame back down after a few feedings or so. They learn pretty fast as to where they are fed at!

Shanell

Old 08-13-2004, 09:14 AM   #5
jenn_jeffery
Nah, I've never bothered. Once he's out, he's calm (for a cal king...) and I really don't handle him unless I'm cleaning his cage or doing maintainance. I have an 18 month old baby so I really don't have time to work with any of my critters--which most appreciate I'm sure!!

I'm sure the bite wouldn't actually hurt, I just have a bad jump reflex, and I'm more afraid I would hurt him than anything.

Old 08-17-2004, 01:25 AM   #6
RNPreptiles
I feed mine in their enclosure, no problems at all. I take them out a lot too so they dont think they are being fed until they see the brown bag, then they get excited. My female also sees the mouse though the glass and pulls her head up with her mouth gaping sometimes. When I pull them out, however, Ive never had a problem.

Old 01-25-2013, 03:54 PM   #7
Allen Kaz
I feed all 25 of my kings in their cages, they are all fine except one male who is always ready for food. I have never had a'' feeding cage'' for any of my snakes, its just a personal preference.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!