Reasonable price for a Mexican Kingsnake? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Kingsnakes & Milksnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-01-2013, 07:55 PM   #1
Reisreptiles
Reasonable price for a Mexican Kingsnake?

Hi, I'm going to be getting a MKS in a few weeks. I'm planning on getting it at either a reptile show on April 20th, or from Petsmart (I know it's a gamble. But I've bought snakes from them before and they're all fine). Everywhere online seems to sell them for $80+ for babies, but I think that's ridiculous, especially since Petsmart is selling them for less than that, and they usually have terrible prices.
I'm probably going to be getting the snake from the reptile show, since it's better to buy from a breeder than a pet store, but I want to know what prices to look for. What's the general price of a Mexican kingsnake hatchling? Is $80 too much, or is it the normal price?
Thank you.

-Rei

Old 04-01-2013, 08:43 PM   #2
middlefork
What type?
Depending on what you want there's quite a bit of difference in prices.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:22 PM   #3
Reisreptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by middlefork View Post
What type?
Depending on what you want there's quite a bit of difference in prices.
Mexican black kingsnake hatchling.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:22 PM   #4
middlefork
I just can't in good faith buy from the big box stores. If I were you, I'd wait for this years hatchlings. I found MBK's down as low as$50 which is way less than I paid for my greeri.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:40 PM   #5
bcr229
I don't care to frequent the big box stores unless I'm in dire need of supplies, such as my local PetCo which was open Easter morning when a large tank heater decided to fail and we didn't have a spare.

That said, the manager of our PetSmart at least has a clue about herps, and since he's one of the customers for my business (not herp-based), he is willing to cut us a break when he can. He gave - yes gave - us a Mexican Black King snake hatchling after she had languished unsold for several months while the more colorful king, milk, and corn snakes were easy sells. He suspected it was because wild black rat snakes are very common in our area, so that's probably what people thought she was.

Anyway, this little girl was way too sweet to be "sent back to be euthed" (his words) so he gave her to us, and he sold us her tank, heater, etc. at his cost.

She really is a sweet little thing and was a little shy initially after spending a few months in the store, but has come around well to being handled. Just like our other king snake, she is a ready eater and is perfectly healthy.

So, if you find a MBK locally and you know the store has had it for more than a few weeks, offer half what they're asking for it and be prepared to bargain. The manager may accept your offer just to move it along.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!