New Mexico state law issues - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > USA State Specific Issues

Notices

USA State Specific Issues Issues that are specific to a particular state, or subregion within a state, should be appended to the existing relevant thread. NEW threads cannot be created in this forum.

Old 07-23-2003, 07:31 PM   #1
Adamanteus
New Mexico state law issues

State Homepage - http://www.state.nm.us/

State Legislature - http://www.legis.state.nm.us/

State Statutes/Code - http://www.state.nm.us/category/governmentnm.html#laws

Old 07-28-2005, 11:39 PM   #2
areptileguy
proposed legislation in Albuqurque NM

Albuquerque is proposing a new city animal ordinance. You can read it
here, all 60 some-odd pages of it:

http://daystar2.cabq.gov:81/attachments/3174.doc

This ordinance looks invasive all around, not just for reptiles. If
you keep any animal in your household, and you don't want your city
or county to adopt a similar ordinance, please write to the
Albuqureque city council and let them know your thoughts on this
ordinance.

The proposed ordinance calls anything not a dog, cat, or rabbit
an "exotic" and requires a $35 ANNUAL permit for anything not a dog,
cat, or rabbit.
There are also some pretty silly
requirements, such as submitting a letter to the mayor every time one
wants to transport an "exotic". So the mayor needs to know when my
iguana goes for her annual check-up?

The AR is looking at this ordinance as a template for more cities. If
it gets passed here, it will get passed elsewhere.

I spoke with Martin Heinrich's aide today, and Mr. Heinrich is
interested in hearing from the public.
Sally Mayer is the sponsor. You can contact them and other council
members at:

Mailing Address: P.O. Box 1293 , 9 th Floor - Room 9087, Albuquerque,
NM 87103 .

Telephone Number: (505) 768-3100, Fax Number: (505) 768-3227

Email Addresses:

Miguel A. Gómez, Council District 1 - mgomez @ cabq.gov
Debbie O'Malley, Council District 2 - domalley @ cabq.gov
Eric Griego, Council District 3 - egriego @ cabq.gov
Brad Winter, Council District 4 - bwinter @ cabq.gov
Michael J. Cadigan, Council District 5 - mcadigan @ cabq.gov
Martin Heinrich, Council District 6 - mheinrich @ cabq.gov
Sally Mayer, Council District 7 - smayer @ cabq.gov
Craig Loy, Council District 8 - cloy @ cabq.gov
Tina L. Cummins, Council District 9 - tcummins @ cabq.gov

Old 05-24-2010, 03:00 AM   #3
Silverdragon
When I went to pick up my corn snake's dinner from petco I found that many of the pets couldn't be sold or shipped at this time. They employees said that it is only because they came from outside New Mexico and until the ordinance is figured out they must stay put. I am happy corn snakes seem to be unaffected, but this just isn't right.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:22 AM   #4
Outcast
Yeah, NM is starting to get pretty dumb.. I was in Las Cruces the other day when I found out about the new permit requirements for people selling many pet store type animals.. Saltwater fish, tarantula's, and nearly all snakes are on the list of things that permits are needed in order to sell them now.. Unfortunately it seems as though the state is trying to put the pet trade out of business as a whole.

Old 06-11-2010, 06:35 PM   #5
dustinNMpythons
The permit hasn't actually passed yet from what I've heard but apparently they are trying to pass another one different than the one that states you need a permit that would ban all pythons in NM. http://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/docu...rdsandFish.pdf That is the link if anyone wants to check it out and let me know what all this communist bullshit means. Im glad i go fight this war over seas to come back to crap like this....land of the free my ass. We need some media attention thats on our side, if they are banning common household pets whats next?

Old 06-11-2010, 09:50 PM   #6
crotalusadamanteus
Your freedoms, and your guns. Not necessarily in that order.

Congress and government officials have been slowly undoing our constitution for years. These laws pertaining to our pets are but a small example.

Old 06-11-2010, 11:07 PM   #7
dustinNMpythons
Maybe its time for someone to let them know they don't own this country (although they like to put it in debt). There needs to be a modern version of a boston tea party to put them in check. The only way they'll be able to take the guns is bullets first haha. Richard, I read something a while back about Texas banning venomous snakes and reptiles whats going on with that?

Old 06-12-2010, 05:27 AM   #8
crotalusadamanteus
I haven't heard anything. Tim Cole would be the guy to know anything along those lines. He keeps up on that stuff pretty good.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:29 PM   #9
Tim Cole
Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalusadamanteus View Post
I haven't heard anything. Tim Cole would be the guy to know anything along those lines. He keeps up on that stuff pretty good.
I haven't heard anything along those lines. I know for a fact that TP&W could care less if a Green Anaconda is escaping from it's enclosure as long as the person has spent their $20 for the South Florida Permit as I like to call it!

Old 10-21-2011, 08:53 AM   #10
varanus21
Could someone give me a quick synopsis of the New Mexico laws regarding the keeping of reptiles? Specifically Green Trees, monitors, venemous and hognose snakes. Thanks!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!