"Hypo gene = (co)dominant test breeding" - the next generation (pics) - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-27-2006, 08:53 PM   #1
rhac
"Hypo gene = (co)dominant test breeding" - the next generation (pics)

Hi,

this is just a short update for you, about my Hypo-project.
It is more or less proven, that the Ray-Hine-line-Hypo gene is dominant or co-dominant.

So my goal for this season is to find out if there is a Super form of this morph, what means that those geckos which have both Hypo alleles can be told apart from those with just one copy of the Hypo gene, by looking at the phenotype.

My guess is that the head pattern may be the key.
This is the original Super Hypo female that started it all, bought in 2001 from Ray Hine:

and this is her head pattern:

I hatched about 30 Hypos from:
"Super Hypo x Normal"- and
"Hypo x Normal"-crosses

But all of them had black spots on their heads. This is a holdback female from last season:

As you can see, she has spots on her body as well. But that is not the case with all Hypo hatchlings. Some have no spots on body, just on head and tail.
This is what the females head looks like. As you can see: black spots (she is by the way one of those Hypos I hatched out,with the most reduced black spotting on head...but it is still black!):

So this year I'm doing:
"Hypo x Hypo"- and "Super Hypox Hypo"-crosses.

The "Super Hypo" I breed to a Hypo this year, is the female I bought in 2001. Most of those 30 Hypo hatchlings were hers. I bred her to a wild caught male the last years. Of corse it is a small number compared to the number of peas that Mendel used...but I think one can be relatively sure that she is the Super form.

This little cutie is the first male that hatched from "Super Hypo x Hypo"-cross:

He already has his first sheds...and untill now he only shows few spots on head:

I hope that he is the Super form. I cannot be sure yet...but a few sheds more,and we will know more.

I will post update pics of him.
I hope to hatch out some more babies soon. I got more than 90 eggs untill now but just got 4 babies...males needed nearly two mounth to hatch...a crazy season.

I'd like to hear your opinion on my project.

Thank you very much for our interest,
Greetings from Germany, Johannes Knierer

PS: Another interesting notice I made: The orange on tail seems to be dominant as well. I would not call my Super Hypo female a carrottail...her tail is just orange but not as intensive as what i would call a carrottail. But this orange on the tail shows up on some tails of her babies as well.