new boa has mites - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-11-2012, 01:12 AM   #1
mikepanzarella
new boa has mites

so i picked up a new red tail boa i have him in quarantine
but today i noticed a few mites on him ive found a total of 3 mites
the few questions i have are
1:whats the best way to treat the mites to get rid of all of them on the snake and also to treat the enclosure
2:can these things climb glass and get into my other tanks and enclosures
3:he has a small impaction at the anus im not sure of the cause of this (weather or not its the mites) but can they cause this i know they like the eyes and pits
guess ive learnt my lesson about getting animals from lesson
the pics are the best my phone can really take i hope that helps i dont wanna put him in with the others till everything is all cleared up and i check out a few other things
Attached Images

Old 01-11-2012, 07:00 AM   #2
allreptiles1966
Go to Wal-mart and buy a can of lice bedding spray($5),this will be what you put into the cage.
Buy a bottle of reptile relief for the snake.Pet smart.($8?)
Get a plasctic tub,rubber gloves(put on) and spay your hands with the reptile relief,then wipe the snake and place into the new tub.I think its better to spray hands then wipe, over spraying the boa.
Not sure what your using for a quarantine tank,but if its a fish tank take plastic Saran wrap and tape and seal most of the tank off except the last few inches,this is where you will place your hand inside the tank and spray for several seconds.Then seal the part of the tank you left open.Let that sit for awhile.Then take off the saran wrap and let it air out.Then wipe tank with warm water and spray with the reptile relief thoroughly and let site.Wipe clean later and add boa.
Yes,mites can climb and will walk in a straight line to the next tank or cage.Or from you to the next spot.

We did this to my buddies boa back 2 years ago and it worked great.I found the how to on here and it was about the difference between pro vent a mite and the Wal mart lice bedding spray,which are the same ingredients.
I now have the boa he had to treat and it never brought mites into my home.She is very healthy it appears.
Sorry i cannot help with the impaction.
Has she /he defecated since you had it?Can it be cleaned up.
BAD PICS! Try to show the people on here a clear pic,ok?There are some very knowledgeable people on here and will try to help.Especially the ones that love the snakes.
Good luck
If you have roaches you use as feeders,keep the lice bedding spay away!
Good luck

Old 01-11-2012, 08:03 AM   #3
Metachrosis
Use the Forum SEARCH feature,
there is more then you need regarding feedback
on the topic.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:10 AM   #4
mxracer4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metachrosis View Post
Use the Forum SEARCH feature,
there is more then you need regarding feedback
on the topic.
Totally agree. There is only ONE true way to get rid of them and that info is on here. Buy a can of "PAM" (Provent-a-mite). Can't go wrong with it.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:17 AM   #5
allreptiles1966
Not true about only 1 way to kill mites.There are several that work fine.! I dont lie man.The method works well and many have used it.
The lice bedding spay is the same thing as the $18 can of pam! Cheaper too.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:20 AM   #6
allreptiles1966
heres another ad from on here!
a0.5% Permethrin is what you are looking for
Go to Walmart and in the camping section is a product called Repel Permanone (orange can, blue cap). The key ingredient in Provent A Mite is 0.5% permethrin and 99.5% inert ingredients. It is exactly the same stuff as Repel, prolly has the same patent number. Use it exactly as you would use Prevent A Mite.

Heres 1 too-----Forget WalMart and run out to PetCo/PetSmart or your local reptile pet store and get some Reptile Relief. It works very well!!! Just follow the directions on the bottle. It kills mites almost on contact by dehydrating them.

Scott Nellis

These are on here under how to kill mites.
Whatever you do,good luck.There are alot of opinions on killing mites and what to use.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:49 AM   #7
mxracer4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by allreptiles1966 View Post
Not true about only 1 way to kill mites.There are several that work fine.! I dont lie man.The method works well and many have used it.
The lice bedding spay is the same thing as the $18 can of pam! Cheaper too.
PAM is the ONLY reptile approved mite spray. I don't use anything else but PAM and most on this site will agree. Using something other than PAM on a reptile is like giving your dog a bath in cat flea shampoo, I wouldn't do it.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:52 AM   #8
allreptiles1966
Yea,but same ingredients either way.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:58 AM   #9
mxracer4life
They do not have the same ingredients. Read the ingredient label on both, they only share 1 ingredient if I remember correct.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:05 AM   #10
allreptiles1966
Will take a look.
I know from what i was told on here,use the lice bedding spray because it was the same.
We did,it worked well and no side effects i can see 2 years later.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!