Bad Guy Steven Bostwick - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 04-16-2015, 12:03 PM   #1
KBenker
Steven Bostwick

I saw the ad for Cape York spotted pythons here and on facebook. I really liked the pattern of the one offspring pictured, so decided to purchase a pair. The ad had listed 2013 & 2014 cb for the same price and since most of my current Antaresia collection are 2014's, I decided to try for 2013's. Contacted Steven via facebook and he was quick to reply. Stated he had some 2013 left and would send me pictures on the weekend. I sent the funds for 2 snakes plus shipping. Pictures were sent as promised on the weekend and I picked out the 2 I liked best. Asked for weights and he stated that he does not weigh as he has so many snakes. Asked for feeding and was told they were taking f/t peach fuzzy mice. We arranged for a shipping day the coming week. When I checked my temperatures, noticed we were going to have a cold front, so requested the snakes be held at the main FedEx hub for pickup. Tracking was sent by Steven on Tuesday, I went into town yesterday morning and picked up the box. Got home and opened it, first container was a 6 oz deli cup, labeled female. I grab the container and take off the lid. The snake is so cold it can barely move! I briefly place her on my scale (I keep my scale and camera on hand when unboxing), she weighs in at 14g! Get the male out of his deli, he's just as cold and weighs in at 13g. Here I had two 20 qt bins ready for them to go into - they'd get lost in there. I quickly set up some bins in my empty hatchling rack and get these 2 situated. For a comparison, my 2014 pair of spotted pythons weigh 42g & 56g. The 2 I received are supposed to be Cape York, which is at the larger end of the size. Initially I think there must have been a mistake, maybe he sent 2014's instead. I message Steven and he assures me they are 2013 hatch and have been maintenance fed.

This is not about the money for me, I just can't fathom how one can have such complete disregard for living creatures. I thought I had done my research on the seller, but really wasn't able to find much. It's time this gets out there.

Attached are pictures of the snakes upon arrival and our conversation prior and after me receiving the shipment.
Attached Images

Old 04-16-2015, 12:06 PM   #2
KBenker
Converation on facebook:
Attached Images

Old 04-16-2015, 12:18 PM   #3
MissFirefly
He has too many snakes to weigh them!? Even if he doesn't do routine weights, he should have a scale to measure for customers, measure for shipping (rates are partially based on weight of the package), and measure if medication is needed. Not wanting to share weights is a red flag in my opinion.

Hopefully in your care they can grow accordingly but just sad that this person thinks this is acceptable.

Old 04-16-2015, 03:53 PM   #4
yeloowtang
I'll start by saying that i'm glad you got the snakes and that they are alive, I'm sure they will do well in your care..
However !!!!
this is the second time I read about people that maintenance feed snakes ??
WTH is up with that mentality, to me that"s the same as saying they just barely feed them enough so that they don't starve to death, HEY Sorry but you know it cost money to feed them so I decided to cut that corner ???? that is such a bad thing to do , i can't wrap my head arround the fact some breeders are that dumb and iiresponsable to do this.
shame on the seller and anyone else who does this..
#1 rule of breeding , if you can't afford to feed the offsprings, DON'T BREED THEM..

Old 04-16-2015, 04:26 PM   #5
Walter1
I agree with yeloowtang. Growth curves for ALL snakes are fast early. Somewhere between maintenance feed, which means stunt/starve, and power feed, you breed them, you're obligated to feed them to grow.

Old 04-16-2015, 06:24 PM   #6
Guy Castro
Reading the facebook comments,he is obviously suffering from BDBH disease!

BrainDeadBoneHead

Old 04-16-2015, 09:20 PM   #7
SeamuSnake
I am glad they are in your care now...
I can't really understand his responses... Why does he respond with random sentences about making laws against us? I don't..... why or how is that relevant when he's the one who is neglecting them in the first place? Since when do you know you're sending your snakes to a state that is going to be high 40's and not put a heat pack in there!? You have to know that FedEx and other places can't be 100% reliable, and prepare your snake as such... But obviously the health of his snakes aren't any type of concern to him.

From the get go his responses and answers sound SHADY A/F if you ask me- My breeder answered every single one of my questions about health, weight, age, shed, feedings, and he did it all immediately and with photos AND he called me on the phone when the shipping was delayed due to weather... He hatched over 1600 babies in a few months and still took the time to weigh and photograph my single baby... That's how it should be done

If this guy were any type of professional breeder he would make sure his animals are a priority and care about his customers and customer service, but that's obviously not the case.

I'm glad you brought this to light, it's important for people to know these things ahead of time- the unfortunate thing is that we have the advantage due to others being taken advantage of- and that's so sad.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!