My jacksons stopped eating!!! - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Chameleons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-02-2006, 06:12 PM   #11
PsychoBillyNiki
Okay I'll take the pictures when I find my camera.

UVB light source. I have a basking light (clamp light) attached to the roof pointing in.

hydration quantity and schedule. I spray him by hand. I use the bottle to spray the leaves and stuff inside until it drips down. I do it twice a day, when I first get up and then again in the afternoon.

heat source. UVA bulb on a clamp lamp. It usually gets the top cage up to 80 when the cage itself is around 65. I do have a fan on top to keep the air moving. I was told that they dont like it hot, that they like it cool and breezie-like Hawaii.

the brand of supplements. Jurrasi Cal mixed with ZooMed vitamins.

Please tell me what I can do to make things better. I dont want my chameleon to suffer anymore.

Old 09-03-2006, 12:37 AM   #12
Dave W.
Howdy Nicole,

Take a look at the UVB tube and let us know the mfgr and the style. You may see something like ZooMed 2.0 or 5.0 or 10.0 or some other brand and type. This could be an important data point.

If you are using a typical trigger-style sprayer that requires a trigger squeeze every time you want to squirt water then I suggest picking-up one of these mist bottles for about $7 at Home Depot:

It's the middle one in this photo...
http://rlflomaster.com/sprayers/hand.htm

You can partially fill it with warm water (gets cooler when misted), pump it up and mist the enclosure plants and him until he drinks. It may take 5-20 minutes to trigger his drinking process. He will get used to the warm mist and enjoy it after a while. It is very likely that he needs a lot more access to mist water than he has been getting. This may help quite a bit. Think about an excess water drainage plan for your enclosure...

I' a little concerned with the supplements. The ZooMed vitamin has a lot of things in it. Vitamin A is one of those vitamins that can be overdosed in chameleons. Some need it much more than others but I think that Jackson's are one of the chameleons that are sensitive to O.D. I'd suggest that you switch to Miner-All (I) as a source for Calcium with vitamin D3 and use Herptivite multivitamin as a source for vitamins. Also pick-up a can of Miner-All (O) as a source of Ca/with no D3 to use once in a while instead of the Ca/D3 product. Try Ca/D3 once a week and Vitamins once every two weeks. Maybe add Ca/no D3 once a week.

The photos will be very telling...

Old 09-03-2006, 07:23 AM   #13
PsychoBillyNiki
I actually got him to drink water from a kitten ottle tonight. We have to give him medicines and he actually used a little water bottle. Well off the top of my head I know its ZooMed but it actually broke yesterday. Which is the best bulb for them? I put him in a feeder tank, for crickets. How does gut loading affect his vitamin intake?

Old 09-03-2006, 11:41 AM   #14
Dave W.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoBillyNiki
I actually got him to drink water from a kitten ottle tonight. We have to give him medicines and he actually used a little water bottle. Well off the top of my head I know its ZooMed but it actually broke yesterday. Which is the best bulb for them? I put him in a feeder tank, for crickets. How does gut loading affect his vitamin intake?
Howdy Nicole,

You still want to give hime the warm water misting for 5-20 minutes 2-3 times a day to help him out of his dehydrated state. He will still be taking in water even if you don't see him gulping it down while he is being warm water misted.

The ZooMed 5.0 tube will be safe to use. It needs to be mounted so that it is above him and not on a side surface. He needs to be able to get within about 6"-12" of the tube. No glass or plastic should be between him and the tube.

For some reason I was under the impression that he was being kept in a screened enclosure. If he is in something other than that, then this will lead to more health problems in addition to his present condition.

Photos...

Old 09-03-2006, 11:46 AM   #15
Dave W.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoBillyNiki
...How does gut loading affect his vitamin intake?
Howdy Nicole,

The vitamin supplementation schedule that I mentioned is ok to follow in addition to properly gutloaded crickets. What are you using to gutload?

Old 09-03-2006, 04:00 PM   #16
PsychoBillyNiki
Im using Fluckers gut load. And I feed the crickets fruits too.

Old 09-05-2006, 03:17 AM   #17
PsychoBillyNiki
I bought him a screen cage and a new bulb. Hes looking great! Its making me so happy to see him healthy. I still want to buy that spray bottle. I guess they came sick... they were the worst kind of cham... wc

Old 09-06-2006, 02:48 AM   #18
Kaa needs a wife
One thing I don't noticew you having is a Dripper. I never kept chameleons myself but I know a few fellows who do and I have always seen all there cages with a large water dripper that drips water into the cage at a semi constant rate.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!