Venomoid PM??? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-13-2006, 07:35 AM   #1
Steve Hamm
Venomoid PM???

Don't know if this is the right place to put this but I thought all of you might be interested in this.I got a PM from this guy by the name of Don Mcdougel screen name I thinks is fedupdon don't really know what thats supposed to mean.Anyways he PM'd me about Venomoids telling me it wasn't cruel to butcher the poor animals that it was just like getting a cat or dog fixed.I am wondering why he PM'd me,did any one else get a PM from him?I copy and pasted the PM for all of you to see,maybe he got me confused with someone else,either way I didn't care for the message cause I am not a Venomoid fan.

Private Message: VENOMOID
02-12-2006, 01:15 AM
fedupdon

Name : don mcdougal
Karma Power: 0
Trader Rating: (0)

Warning Level: 0 VENOMOID

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The main reason i was told is because in most cities it against the law to keep venomous. they vet i spoke with says thatis like nutterring a dog or cat dose not harm its not torture if done correctly just thought you might be interrested in this opion

Old 02-13-2006, 10:24 AM   #2
Karen Hulvey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hamm
The main reason i was told is because in most cities it against the law to keep venomous.
A venomoid snake is still considered venomous in EVERY city so that point is moot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hamm
they vet i spoke with says thatis like nutterring a dog or cat dose not harm its not torture if done correctly just thought you might be interrested in this opion
When an animal is neutered, it can no longer reproduce. Does that mean a venomoid snake can no longer reproduce? No, therefore it's not "like nutterring a dog or cag" now is it?

nuttering - that has to be the funniest misspelling of a word I've read lately.

Old 02-13-2006, 10:28 AM   #3
Cat_72
Well, I haven't heard of anyone else that got a smilar PM, Steve....I know I didn't.

But if I had, I would have been MORE than happy to share my views on the whole disgusting idea.

Old 02-25-2006, 09:07 AM   #4
fedupdon
Venomoid

Thanks i was looking for opinions on what this vet had said. i don't approve of any kind of surgery. he claims that the procedure has been improved to the point that it is no longer the butcher job that it used to be . My local
animal control officer stated as long as there was papers proving it had been fixed and not allowed to bred then it could be kept, Steve im sorry i pm you your name was given as some who would be willing to comment on this procedure,

Old 02-25-2006, 09:28 AM   #5
Art Klass
Quote:
nuttering
Karen, That is sooo funny. Thanks for the crack up.

Old 02-25-2006, 02:14 PM   #6
bcfos
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedupdon
Thanks i was looking for opinions on what this vet had said. i don't approve of any kind of surgery. he claims that the procedure has been improved to the point that it is no longer the butcher job that it used to be . My local
animal control officer stated as long as there was papers proving it had been fixed and not allowed to bred then it could be kept, Steve im sorry i pm you your name was given as some who would be willing to comment on this procedure,

Sorry but even the state of Florida who has the (IMO) best venomous laws set up and the best system of inspections considers "voids" venomous. So your animal control officer is like most of them not very well informed due to the fact they rarely deal with reptiles at all.

The key to this whole situation is education. Education on the mortality rates of snakes which this surgery is preformed on, education on how some "venomoid" snakes have in fact shown venom still somehow being produced, and education that just having a "cool looking snake" isn't doing the hobby any good if you do not know how to properly take care of its needs.

Old 02-25-2006, 09:53 PM   #7
coyote
Quote:
nuttering
I think there is something subliminally Freudian about this word.

And yet, for some reason, right now I'm thinking about peanut butter.

Old 02-26-2006, 01:32 PM   #8
fedupdon
Thanks
ive already decided not to take the snake after reading your replys and talking with
the zoo its still to much of a risk. the vet is the one who did the surgey and the snake is over 3yroks and is a common snake in thus aera. have not got a answer from the TP&W. it might help if someone could post how they do this procdure . some stated they still venomous please explain

Old 02-26-2006, 09:45 PM   #9
nicolai
There is a vet that frequents the hamburg and pottstown reptile shows with his venemoids and swears by them and i have seen him sell a lot of snakes at the shows. I have never kept venemoids and know little about them other then there seems to be a market for them. PA fish and wildlife were at his table at the last show talking to him (appently they know him well) ansd asking him how busines was and stuff like that. I asked the F & W guys what they thought about venemoids and they thought they were a bad idea years ago because no one knew how to devenomise properly but said this guy specializes in it and is well know for being one of the best (cant think of his name but someone that goes to those shows regularly will pop on this thread with his name). He offered to show me one but i declined as i didnt feel comfortable about holding one. I am not one to judge anyone for what they keep and what people do with thier own animals I just prefer to stay on the safe side and not hold a venemous snake even if it is supposedly devenomised. I think this is a contreversy that will go on for years and years.
Look at all of us bearded dragon keepers that never knew beardeds had venom glands !! Are we all going to get rid of them just in case??? We all live and learn!!

Old 03-01-2006, 07:51 PM   #10
crotalusadamanteus
If this doctor knows his stuff, than the ducts, and the glands will be removed completely, and it will in theory be an affective voiding.
However, A HUGE AMOUNT are done in basements by Dr. Frankenstein(s) and not complete. They merely snip the duct and they have been known to regenerate. They do not always use sterile environment and death is a common occurance for the reptile. Check this out...........

Dr. Frankenstein in Action

Rick

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!