One More Reason to Test for Adenovirus - Page 5 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-27-2007, 04:24 PM   #41
CheriS
Tere,

I had wanted to respond to this from the first day you posted, but have to be very careful what I say as there are a few that depend on dragon sales as their sole income, who DO NOT want this information out there and have worked overtime in promoting others to sell their infected stock too.

I commend you for taking the stand you have, following what the vet researchers that have worked with this ask and not falling prey to the business as usual attitude that is promoted by other breeders, who this is their sole means of income so can not let go for the sake of the species and do the right thing.

As you said
Quote:
The only way we can get some control over this virus is to test our animals and learn from what we find
and also not breed them or expose non positive animals to them. This is what DR Wentz has been promoting since 2001
Quote:
If it continues to spread throughout the industry, it could ruin the market. For these reasons, ethical consideration should always be considered if an animal is diagnosed with adenovirus. The main question is should any animal be suspected of or diagnosed with Adenoviral infection be sold or bred? At this time, this author believes the answer is no. Since many of the asymptomatic carriers can live a long and natural life, they can be kept separate. Precautions must be taken to prevent the accidental spread of the virus if one chooses to keep positive animals.
back then there were only a few areas of the country that had positive animals and it would have been easy to contain. But that breeder elected to dumped a large amount of their infected stock to the public and other breeders and some of those other breeders elected to sweep the issue under the rug and also sell stock they had that was infected... which bring us to what we have in not only this country, but also throughout Europe too.

Denise said
Quote:
I only wish everyone had her integrity.
A lot of people wouldn't say anything. What you've done is right and brave, just the person I've always known you are.
I wish just 2 breeders back then and two now had the same integrity, then I do not think Wendy or Tere and many others would be dealing with what they and their dragons have had too.

Marissa said
Quote:
It seems very possible that if some breeders are selling off babies from adeno positive parents, that could infect and devastate breeding projects EVERYWHERE
they did, it could and it has- just as Dr Wentz warned would happen 6 years ago when he present to that to the INTERNATIONAL HERPETOLOGICAL SYMPOSIUM. I think it only a matter of time now before everyone realizes where this came from and who was instrumental in spreading it.

Marissa, no breeder should have carte blanche, that is what created this mess to begin with and I encourage you to talk to ANY admin or webmaster that it seems allows that and if they continue that thinking, there are plenty of other sites out there that would welcome you and others that do not want to help some breeder for the sake of $$$ ruin a species.

Tere, again, I am sorry you and your dragons that are you beloved pets first and foremost, got caught up in this. I am sure you will see the naysayers swooping in on you also and trying to hush you up .... just consider the source and what their personal agenda is... time will expose them

Old 01-27-2007, 06:35 PM   #42
CheriS
test post to bring up 9th page

Old 01-27-2007, 06:46 PM   #43
Tere Salazar
You said it way better than I did. Thank you, Cheri.

Old 01-27-2007, 07:30 PM   #44
Tere Salazar
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheriS
But that breeder elected to dumped a large amount of their infected stock to the public and other breeders and some of those other breeders elected to sweep the issue under the rug and also sell stock they had that was infected... which bring us to what we have in not only this country, but also throughout Europe too.
Cheri-

I know I've seen it posted somewhere, but can't locate it now. How long has the virus been in the U.S., and where did it start? Maybe if people had a clearer understanding that this virus isn't some "virus of the week", and that it has spread the way it has...and that there really is a way of tracing back where it came from, they would understand the gravity of the situation.

Old 01-27-2007, 09:16 PM   #45
CheriS
I will try to summarize what I know, although everytime I put any of this information up is starts the snide comments from breeders and their "buddies" that do not want this known for obvious reasons.

Some history for those interested
Contrary to what some would like other to believe and continue to lie over, Adenovirus has been in the wild population and other countries captive breed population since 1981, but very limited- not epidemic like it is becoming in the US and now Europe too. The reason people can not find prior history is 10 they do not want to, 2)that it either is not online (Australia was not big on computers in the 80's) but in other country publications AND 3)they were not pogona then, but Amphibolurus and the people claiming it do not even know that.

It showed up in the US heavily in bearded dragons that I know of, that were imported from Germany in 1997-2000 to Florida, in the german giants and redflame lines, later the orange glow line and those were all crossed together. Don't panic there were lines from the both GG and redflame that were healthy/clear of the virus so do not assume if you have a dragon from those line, that it is infected. Some of those were shipped back to Europe *(this is significant later) but also sold heavily in the New England (PA, NJ, NY) and Southern(FL, NC. SC, GA) states at reptile shows and also a group went to Arizona. Still it could have been contained, as it was pretty well known what lines and who had it back in 2001-2002. But again, some breeders elected to continue to sell stock they knew were infected.

Among those also were some rarer infected morphs coming back into the US from Europe, mainly Belgium and England, but the same infected dragons were also shipped to Japan, Sri Lanki and Italy, so you had outbreaks there also. Many people thought these were weaker animals due to inbreeding as they were all related, but I am pretty sure the fact they were infected with adenovirus played a huge role in the higher death rate of the offspring and the failure to thrive of the ones that did survive. True they were inbreed, breeders did that on purpose to have the trait which even with sickly looking dragons they were selling for $750-$1500, but we now know that they also were carriers of the virus and as far as I know, those tested even this year have all been positive. It was even noted as early as 2003 by a breeder breeding them, on Kingsnake.com, that they were failing to thrive and had much higher mortality rates... still people bought them for the novelty and added them to their existing colonies, infecting their own prior clear dragons if they dodged the other lines earlier. This is where many of the breeders in the west got infected from.

It is interesting that at the same time adeno was spreading so rapidly in the US, Orient and Europe that some of the new morphs were showing up in the us and testing positive for adeno, buy other normal imports were clear......it really makes me wonder if the two are not related somehow?

So, now it is not unusual for someone testing more than a few pets dragons, to find at least one infected or more since they come from those same well known online breeders...... that is what it seems some breeders set out to make happen a few years back and they continue to do so still, knowing they are selling adeno positive animals. Some breeders having this are now and back then, have tried to spin the tale that it is okay, everyone's dragon carry adenovirus and it is not a problem, or the worst I have heard is to infect all dragons so the ones that survive are immune and it is not a problem anymore, that is really stupid thinking, don't believe it. First, they have no way of knowing that is going to happen and ever indicator we have is that this virus can be very destructive to some young baby dragons and can infect any dragon in contact with them or any age for years to come. Secondly, as more people test and it does show they are clear, it dispels the falsehood that infected breeders use to justify their actions in selling and spreading adenovirus. NOT ALL DRAGONS HAVE IT AND ARE INFECTED contrary to what some breeders want to convince others of. There are owners and breeders with totally clear colonies as this thread alone has shown and I know that for a fact as I have seen and helped with some of the PRC and fecal test. There are even some very large breeders that have never had an infected dragon in their collection out west as they never bought from the breeders in the south and east that have spread this, but I know that it also is showing up in collections out there now, since so many newer breeders from the past few years have bought dragons from the south and east and were not aware that there was a problem with those lines.

That is the history of what I know and how it has spread. 2002 is was still contained in a few colonies/breeders, 2004 it spread significantly, and 2006 it blooms to a massive level. I suspect with the amount of dragons we know just a few breeders are putting out right now that are infected, it will be chronic next year....... but at least now people are testing and we are also seeing there are many clear colonies still. I feel especially sorry for people like Tere, Wendy, Brandon and Suzanne who had to deal with this when they were innocent victims also, not to mention all the dragons.... but commend each of them for being cautious and doing the right thing to help NOT spread it. It tells you who really cares about the animals and who only sees them as dollar signs.

Not only has Dr Wentz advised not to breed or sell infected ones, but also Dr Elliott Jacobson, University of Florida and leading herp researcher or IBD and paramyxo, who has done what he can to curtail the spin doctor's tales of everything is fine and business as usual. His letter to the community can be found here Dr Jacobson's letter to the bearded dragon community And still... some breeders tell you all is well and the rest of us are out to "get" them!!

One final note: Do not trust ANYONE that has personal or financial interest in this matter.... even me, look to the professionals and that is not a breeder or people in the human medical field, but the vet/researchers that know and have worked with reptilian virus already, which are very different from human virus. No one has the answers about this virus right now, not that it needs a another virus or parasite to be a problems, or that it is something else killing them or that ANY University is telling them it is okay to breed/sell them, that is not true and each person that has claimed these things and we have checked with their source, denies they ever told them any such thing, in fact they claim they told them the opposite.

Old 01-27-2007, 10:01 PM   #46
Tere Salazar
Cheri-

I appreciate you informing us, even with the probability of reprisal. This one of the most informative posts I've seen concerning this virus in a long time. Thank you, as I can tell you put a lot of time into this.

In my own personal experience, this information would have been very nice to have a couple of years ago. It certainly would have changed my mind about where I purchased from.

Quote:
in the german giants and redflame lines, later the orange glow line and those were all crossed together.
As well as this:

Quote:
but also sold heavily in the New England (PA, NJ, NY) and Southern(FL, NC. SC, GA) states
Those breeders who sold infected dragons, and their blatant disregard for other people, their dragons, and this community is absolutely heartbreaking.

Old 01-27-2007, 10:18 PM   #47
fstop2100a
I for one would like a list of breeders that have sold infected dragons. I hope I have not purchased one of them. There are laws to protect us from harmful negligence and those who sold dragons that they knew were infected.

Old 01-27-2007, 10:42 PM   #48
Denisebme
Quote:
Originally Posted by calientedragons
Hi Denise,

I am here is CA also I am in need of some info from you, I have about 22 Dragons I need tested and I have no idea were to go, Can you please email me with you Vet info where you had yours tested? calientedragons@msn.com

I would greatly apprietiate it! I live in Rancho Cucamonga area so I am not so far from you, I have been having a hard time finding a vet that really knows much about Dragons..

Thanks so much for any help,

Heidi
Sorry, I've been out in the Jeep so I didn't see this until just now. I actually think there is a vet way closer to you than the one I use in the Valley, but I'll send you information in the morning when my brain is working again. I'll also see if my vet can refer you to someone closer.

Old 01-27-2007, 11:10 PM   #49
CheriS
Tere,

Only one thing I want to stress, do not assume that all GG, Redflame or Orange Glow lines are a problem, they are not, in fact the first generations of RedFlames were some of the most heartiest and largest dragons ever produced as are many of the GG lines. If they were already out of the Florida breeders colony in the mid-late 90's they were safe and the problem in the Orange Glow lines started in 2000.

Same with the areas, there are many good, decent and clean breeders in the states listed above, just there are also thick outbrreaks of it there also. Example, I have a RedFlame cross from a New Jersey breeder and tested clear as many of his siblings have and their offsprings have and almost all my dragon are German Giant crosses. On the other hand, there are some other states involved early on like IL which is where the first case we are aware was documented and confirmed from.

The above infomation was where the BULK of the virus cases came from, that has spread it to many of the popular lines and breeders today.

Old 01-27-2007, 11:16 PM   #50
Denisebme
Ok, second wind. I talked to a couple of friends closer to you to see who they use, and you'll have to decide who is closer and more convienent for you.
I use Studio City Animal Hospital. All the vets there handle exotics, and I believe they all handle reptiles too.
There are 2 vets closer to you, one in Yorba Linda, one in Pasadena. Dr. Stien in Pasadena is supposed to be one of the best (he used to work with my vet in Studio City). The phone number I have for him is 626/441-1137. He's at Raymond Street Animal hospital.
The Yorba Linda vet, who I don't know personally, Dr. Greek, is also supposed to fairly familiar with Adenovirus, and is very familiar with bearded dragons. You can find him at Yorba Linda Veterinary hospital, 714/777-2314.
What I can tell you is that in my experience, finding someone that knows a lot about Adenovirus may be difficult. Finding someone with the ability to do the PCR testing for it isn't. Once you have your results back, then you'll find the rest of the information you might need in the adeno threads on this forum.
Someone told me a while back that there is a vet in Riverside that handles reptiles, but I can't find the information they sent me. I'll make a few phone calls in the morning and see what I can find out. There is also supposed to be a place in Loma Linda, both places way closer to you, so hopefully I'll be able to get some information on one of them to pass along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calientedragons
Hi Denise,

I am here is CA also I am in need of some info from you, I have about 22 Dragons I need tested and I have no idea were to go, Can you please email me with you Vet info where you had yours tested? calientedragons@msn.com

I would greatly apprietiate it! I live in Rancho Cucamonga area so I am not so far from you, I have been having a hard time finding a vet that really knows much about Dragons..

Thanks so much for any help,

Heidi

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!