Mouth Rot - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:47 AM   #1
AtrociousOne
Mouth Rot

i just noticed my baby central american is having some issues. i believe it's mouth rot, mucus, blowing bubbles, "yawning" a lot. what's the best way to treat this? is there anything in-home i can do? it's not very defined and there's not much dead skin yet, so i think i caught it pretty early. anything help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:46 PM   #2
hhmoore
"Mouth rot" does not cause increased mucous or bubbles, so you can probably add RI to the list; and, if it's got both of those, it may have more problems.
Not being able to examine the snake, or knowing what you are doing now, there isn't much to offer in the way of suggestions....other than the generic optimize the temps and get him to a vet

Old 12-30-2009, 02:04 PM   #3
AtrociousOne
if it is a RI, that would most likely be humidity correct? i'm going to take her to the vet in the next couple days when they have time, but i'm wondering what i can do to make her comfortable until then

Old 12-30-2009, 03:14 PM   #4
hhmoore
As I said - we don't know what you are doing now, so we can't offer reasonable suggestions....well, it could be done, but you'd be a fool to follow advice given by somebody that didn't know any of the specifics. (You clearly missed the hint, and an opportunity to provide those specifics....I probably won't be participating in this thread after this; but, if you opt to share, somebody may offer some suggestions.)

Old 12-30-2009, 03:17 PM   #5
AtrociousOne
uh, what specifics? i'm not really sure what you're referring to... i've moved her to a tub and have her on a heat pad, with mild humidity. that's the only thing i've done.

Old 12-30-2009, 03:47 PM   #6
Twizted Paths
Specifics = Cold side temps, basking temps, ambient temps and humidity level. Exact numbers for all.

Old 12-30-2009, 03:54 PM   #7
AtrociousOne
humidity is 65%, i don't have a basking temp or cold side right now. the tub she's in is at 85

Old 12-30-2009, 05:09 PM   #8
Twizted Paths
You don't have the temps or you have it set up so she can't thermo-regulate? They need to be able to regulate themselves.

If 85F is as warm as she can get then she can't get warm enough even for a healthy boa.

Old 12-30-2009, 05:11 PM   #9
AtrociousOne
well the pads on one side, i don't have a thermo over on that side, but it's much higher than 85.

Old 12-30-2009, 05:45 PM   #10
Twizted Paths
Ok.

You should have been able to answer the questions I asked before the snake ever even went in the set up, let alone became ill. As it's keeper you need to be able to know and maintain the proper temperature gradients at all times.

Get a simple point and shoot thermometer gun (about $25) and get it to a herp vet.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!