help mouth rot!!!!!!!!!!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 01-28-2005, 01:21 PM   #1
puertorab
help mouth rot!!!!!!!!!!!

hey im in need of some help. i have a savannah monitor which i believe is suffering from mouth rot. how she got it? i believe it was from her previous owner who feed her with a fork. the reason for doing that, i have no idea just stupidity to me. so hey can you please help me with it. i believe its spreading. im a lil low on cash and need an alternative to visiting the vet. so please if you have any ideas let me know. thanks to all who reply.
-Naem
by the way you can email me responses to puertorab1@aol.com if you dont want to reply here on the classifieds.

Old 01-28-2005, 01:27 PM   #2
jglass38
Get him to the vet. When you purchase an animal, you make the commitment to take care of it. You dont even know that it is mouth rot. Do the right thing and get him checked out!

Jamie

Old 01-28-2005, 01:31 PM   #3
puertorab
i cant until next week when i get the money to. i had to take her in cuz the owner didnt want it anymore. so i need to find something to help her out in any way before i get her to a vet. i know the commitment i made by taking her in. so please if you have any ideas let me know. something that will slow down that infection until she sees the vet. thansk a lot
-NAem

Old 01-28-2005, 01:45 PM   #4
DAND
Bump up the temp. If you can get it's mouth open, any of the cottage cheese it has in that you can remove will be helpful.

Old 01-28-2005, 09:10 PM   #5
hhmoore
sorry, but I have to take this approach - why do you think mouthrot? what are you seeing? how is it acting? does it eat? drink? are its nostrils clear? what temps and humidity are used? how big is it and what are you keeping it in. depending on what you have available, fixing this may be costly (not even counting vet bills). I specialized in monitors for several years, but will not give advice (other than to say HEAT, HEAT, HEAT) until these questions are answered. I think it is great that you want to help the animal, but have to wonder why you would take it on if you don't have the resources to deal with it. (do you understand how much and how often a properly kept monitor will eat??) Anyways, I am in NY also - so maybe I can be of help - where are you located?

Old 01-29-2005, 09:09 AM   #6
puertorab
hey

hey im in brooklyn new york near the city. heres what i know. she has a terrible scar/injury thats directly located on the tip front of her bottom jaw. then all around the mouth you can notice some white stuff building up and when i remove these white stuff there looks to be little holes. i believe the injury caused an infection in the mouth which is now spreading. she is being housed in a plastic bin because we wanted to seperate her from her mate. but before the bin she was housed in a 90 gallon tank with an undertank heater and a basking light.she is about 2.5 to 3 feet in length. she also very big. she is feeding on dog food and often a boiled egg. she will not take mice, rats, pinkies or crickets or anything that moves. she did take one cricket once but thats it. the bedding i used was crushed walnut but im changing it to wood chippings. i noticed that it gets in her mouth and when i open her mouth up i see that there is some of the walnut in the wounds/ holes she has where the white spots are located. by the way there is no need for heat to get pumped up to make her open her mouth because this lil woman here is quite angry and will open her mouth when grabbed but she does settle down and wont bite. she just does this to scare me but it doesnt work so shes gets calm after a while. if you have anymore questions please do ask. by the way thanks for all the help guys. the savannah isnt really mine its my brothers but i gave him enough money and now were taking her to the vet. one more thing i was treating her for these injuries or what ever they are with a bird medication. its ORNACYCLINE which contains TETRACYCLINE. a breeder recommended that to me so i used it. thanks yall and dont stop with the replies. i can use all the help i can get.

Old 01-29-2005, 10:37 AM   #7
hhmoore
ok - first of all, skip the wood shavings. just fold up some newpaper and put that down for substrate. at this point you don't want anything that is going to get in its mouth. it is good that it is still eating, and that it readily opens it's mouth - makes it easier for you to clean out the wound (more on that in a minute). you didn't say what the cage or room temps are - this is important. the heat has nothing to do with getting it to open its mouth (though higher temps will probably make it feistier), it is to incresae the metabolism and improve its immune response. Plastic containers don't work well for this, as I am talking about the "hot side" of the enclosure being 110-115 degrees and the cool side being 80-85. cooler at night: 75-80 is good. obviously keep water available (on the cool side), and offer food at least 3x/week.
Now, cleaning the wound. using a clean swab, clear as much of the exudate (the off-white cheesy lookin stuff) as you can, then use another swab to clean the wound (hydrogen peroxide, novasan, etc...an antibiotic wash is sometimes used, but I have never used tetracycline for this, so I cannot speak to its effectiveness or adverse responses). do this every to every other day. you kind of have to balance out the good you are trying to do with the amount of stress you are causing the animal...stress slows recovery. if the wound is as bad as you make it sound, the vet will likely recommend injected antibiotics.
"simple" mouth rot can be fixed relatively easily, with the necessary care. judging from your initial post, I would say you don't have a tremendous amount of experience...that is in no way a negative comment (some people are quick to take offense to such suggestions)...so don't just try to deal with this yourself. DEFINITELY FOLLOW THROUGH WITH VETERINARY CARE.
Good luck.
***I know that a bunch of people will will dispute the temps I recommend. I have been dealing with that for years. but finally, after suffering much abuse, articles by some of the best in the monitor business were published, stating pretty much the same thing.

Old 01-29-2005, 11:59 AM   #8
MGReptiles
Give it a mouth wash of chlorhexidine.. This will slow the spread of the infection.. Then take it to the vet!!!!!!

Old 01-29-2005, 08:03 PM   #9
puertorab
lots of thanks to all you guys. i really appreciate all that you have recommended i do. so for that i thank you guys a hwole lot. i took her to the vet and got some sort of antibiotic which i must administer every day as recommended by the vet. i thought the vet bill was gonna be in the hundreds but it really wasnt. it came out to a total of 62 bucks. not too much for my pockets. well once again i thank you guys. i would tell you what the vet said but i wasnt present at the time i had to work.(what a bummer) well again thanks to all you guys who helped me out in all the ways possible. tonight i will crank up the temps becuase on both sides of the enclosure is in the low 70's. except on the heated side which has the floor temp at around 90 something. well i will do as much as i can in my part to help out that savannah and hopefully she'll get much better.
-Naem

Old 01-29-2005, 10:14 PM   #10
MGReptiles
Awsome! Thats the right thing to do... The antibitotics might throw its eating habits off a bit but do biggy.. It will be back to mormal before ya know it...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!