BALTIMORE PEOPLE PLEASE HELP!!!!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-13-2007, 04:46 PM   #1
mdtrdtaco
BALTIMORE PEOPLE PLEASE HELP!!!!!

I WENT TO PETCO TO GET A NEW STAND FOR MY TANK AND AS I WAS LOOKING AT THE LEOS, I SAW 4 ORANGE ONES ( STILL NEW AT THIS SO I DON'T KNOW THE MORPHS JUST YET ) IN A TANK WITH A BUNCH OF BIGGER NORMAL ONES, AND THREE OF THE FOUR WHERE SMALLER AND ALL 3 HAD BROKEN TAILS!! I TOOK A PIC WITH MY PHONE SO THE QUALITY IS NOT THAT GREAT. I'M THINKING OF GETTING ANOTHER SETUP JUST TO GET THEM OUT BUT I DON'T REALLY HAVE THE ROOM. I'M HOPING PEOPLE AROUND TOWN CAN HELP THE LITTLE GUYS OUT.

Old 03-13-2007, 07:32 PM   #2
Hypancistrus
Purchasing animals being mistreated in a store won't help anything. The store will simply use those funds to replace said animals with others who will also suffer. The only way to end this kind of abuse is to not support the store for ANY reason. Don't buy foods there, don't buy supplies there, don't buy animals there. If enough of us vote with money against them, they will be forced to shape up or ship out.

I do not purchase from PetCo. They disgust me.

Old 03-13-2007, 09:14 PM   #3
Leighanne
Yeah, I had the same experience today and it made me sick! I also agree don't purchase them but ask if they are for adoption or if they will give it to you because it looks deathly, but only if you have the room.

I saw one tank with one baby all by himself. He had no lights or heat like they were trying to get him to die and he was A. Very small, I mean I've never seen anything smaller. He looked like he was premature. I've seen hatchling pictures on here that look better. B. Just lost his tail. C. Shed all over him. I was disgusted. Then in another tank they had two that were also extremely small and one looked like a Mack Snow. SO beautiful! I hate this because I absolutely have to go there for food but when I get this car I'll see about changing that and I want to report this Pet Co to there Corporate. Isn't Pet Co supposed to take these Critters to the Vet?

I really wanted to take the Mack Snow home but realistically had no room with my current 7 Rescues and they wanted me to buy him! HA! I still feel really sad and almost like a traitor to the animal I saw because they will always be in business the way I see it. There are to many mammal lovers out there that will always support Pet Co. So what do we do?

Old 03-13-2007, 09:56 PM   #4
mdtrdtaco
after this i'm not going to petco , but i also feel bad for the little guys. plus with them in the state they are in they will be there longer because no one will want to buy them with a broken or regenerating tail. now i don't even want to go to petsmart or petco, niether of them seem to know how to treat reptiles.

Old 03-14-2007, 02:15 AM   #5
Snakepliscan
Their fish aren't in much better condition than the reptiles. It's sad to see but all the more reason not to support these stores financially.

Old 03-14-2007, 05:04 PM   #6
garweft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypancistrus
Purchasing animals being mistreated in a store won't help anything. The store will simply use those funds to replace said animals with others who will also suffer. The only way to end this kind of abuse is to not support the store for ANY reason. Don't buy foods there, don't buy supplies there, don't buy animals there. If enough of us vote with money against them, they will be forced to shape up or ship out.

I do not purchase from PetCo. They disgust me.

Old 03-14-2007, 06:33 PM   #7
JoshuaTrana
Luckily my local petsmart takes pretty good care of their animals. My friend worked their, and helped keep knowing how to take care of fish and lizards. I have only seens one large leo there most of them are juvies.

Old 03-14-2007, 08:39 PM   #8
geckogrl6
I have to agree with the rest of them. Buying those animals will only put more money in their reptile budget to repeat the process again. The best solution is to try as hard as you can to avoid giving them any money. I sent you an email with a very good reptile specialty store who knows who to care for their herps. They are a petstore, and they do need to meet the bottom line, so conditions are not ideal. But far from what you will see at any of those major chain stores. I'm not trying to sound self-serving here, but really that's why you need to try to buy from experienced breeders.

Old 03-17-2007, 12:15 AM   #9
Hypancistrus
Quote:
Originally Posted by geckogrl6
The best solution is to try as hard as you can to avoid giving them any money. I sent you an email with a very good reptile specialty store who knows who to care for their herps. They are a petstore, and they do need to meet the bottom line, so conditions are not ideal.
Which store?

Old 03-17-2007, 04:35 PM   #10
geckogrl6
Email or PM me if you are local.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!