Pythons Apparently Wiping Out Everglades Mammals - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:24 PM   #11
Outcast
I personally believe that the pythons are filling a niche that people created by killing primary and mesopredators off for hundreds of years. I also believe that in the next few decades we will be seeing a spike in small prey animal numbers, as well as the numbers of wading birds growing. The raccoons are being taken down to a manageable level, and everyone knows that they eat anything they can get their paws on.

It is very interesting that they discount the fact that they saw more of certain animals in the areas. It makes it seem to me as though the survey was extremely one sided. Makes me happy that I am going to school to become a wildlife biologist. I hope to do some studies in the Glades one day. In fact, I am writing a paper about the Pythons of the Everglades for my FWCE 255 course.

Old 08-13-2016, 10:16 PM   #12
bcr229
Yes I know - necro thread. Michael Dorcas, the lead author of the study in the OP and no friend of the herp hobby, has been charged with having inappropriate online chats with underage girls.
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/new...e94506872.html

The comments under the article could use some input from responsible keepers.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!