Hognose temps (is 100 degree basking too high?) - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Hognose Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-12-2015, 02:59 PM   #11
humanmeerkat
How old is she? If it's a baby I used to put an old toilet roll tube in the viv and just pop the feed in there. Also I don't normally attempt to feed for around a first week of them coming to me to let them settle in. Don't worry about feeding just yet but none of my hogs strike to the tongs

Old 09-12-2015, 03:31 PM   #12
lupegirl8
That's good to know. The only other snake I've fed regularly is my girlfriend's ball python, who always strikes at the food right away when fed from tongs. It makes sense that a hognose would be different.

She's a baby. The people at the pet store didn't know exactly how old she was. But she's about the width of one of my fingers so my guess would be pretty young.

I'll give her more time to settle in before I try to feed her again. And I'll try putting the pinkie in a toilet paper or paper towel tube. I'm assuming that it would be less stressful to feed her in the cage than out of the cage? I'm worried about pieces of aspen sticking to the pinkie and getting swallowed. Does the tube basically take care of that? She won't drag the pinkie out of the tube after she's started eating it?

Thanks for your help by the way!

Old 09-12-2015, 04:28 PM   #13
humanmeerkat
They are quite inquisitive snakes always burrowing or running the edges of the tank..my viv are full of clutter for them..plant pots..paper towel/toilet roll tubes they love climbing on under through anything so a nice suprise meal found in a toilet tube is always nice. Yeah the baby's normally eat it in the tube solving the problem of swallowing Substrate.
As for feeding in the viv I see no benifit from feeding outside the viv although this is heavily debated by herps across the world on every forum in every language....so I don't really want to bring that up lol

Old 02-11-2024, 06:24 PM   #14
._.Dre._.
If your worrying about them eating the aspen then put a pice of paper towel and feed it on that

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!