to bread or not to bread (feeder mice/rats) - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Classifieds > Other For Sale/Wanteds Classifieds > Caging, Supplies & Services For Sale/Wanted

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 12:21 PM   #11
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooing Tricycle
but Breading in the Oven makes em very crispy and delicious! especially with franks hot sauce!
The big controversy in the South is whether to use breadcrumb breading or cornmeal breading. I think catfish definitely taste better with cornbread, but I haven't an opinion on mice.

Old 09-30-2006, 04:51 PM   #12
jaxom1957
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucille
The big controversy in the South is whether to use breadcrumb breading or cornmeal breading. I think catfish definitely taste better with cornbread, but I haven't an opinion on mice.
Catfish are best dredged with just flour, salt and black pepper, then pan fried, same as fried chicken. "White Trash Cooking" didn't teach my family nothin'!

Old 11-30-2007, 07:29 PM   #13
Lucille
I am considering changing my mind and breeding a few rodents. Where does one get starter stock?

Old 12-06-2007, 10:49 PM   #14
fhayden1
Rodent Breeding

I've been breeding my own rodents since 2003. At first, I had some mice for corns that I used to breed. But eventually, I got into boas and certain pythons and rats quickly became the main food source for my snakes. I don't breed mice anymore and have a modest colony of rats that consist of about 20 pans. It's work and the food bill isn't really that expensive. The convenience of having my own supply like Clay mentioned is awesome. I can't see paying someone. Now, the smell is something else. I change my trays every 5 days because I keep the rodents in the garage. However, when I open the garage door sometime the smell is strong. My wife hates the smell of rodent piss. So we decided that to buy a shed for out back. I think that'll be the best compromise.

Once I sold a rodent rack to a police officer who told me he kept the rodents in his bedroom. Jesus, that's just gross.

You can get started stock from various sources: shows, breeders, trades, or the pet shop. Just be aware if you buy from a pet shop you'll be paying out the nose.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:37 AM   #15
DThomas
How about taking this to the appropriate DISCUSSION forum instead of dragging up old, inappropriate threads in the classifieds.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Closed Thread