Status check on Warning System Mod program - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

View Poll Results: Is the warning points mod progam making a positive difference?
Yes! 5 13.89%
Things are somewhat better but need some changes 20 55.56%
Things are somewhat worse, actually 1 2.78%
It's too early. Needs more time to tell 5 13.89%
No! It's not working at all. 1 2.78%
What program? 4 11.11%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-02-2007, 08:41 PM   #1
WebSlave
Status check on Warning System Mod program

This program has been in place for just over 4 months now, with some people complaining about it, and others who apparently think they are making a difference with their participation.

So I want to do a status check via poll to see what the handful of people who give a damn either way think about it.

I am setting this up so your member name is visible, btw.

Old 06-02-2007, 08:47 PM   #2
Jim O
First vote

Old 06-02-2007, 08:50 PM   #3
Jim O
Hey Bobby,

I thought you were done with this place... (j/k...just couldn't resist).
Attached Images

Old 06-02-2007, 09:27 PM   #4
Seamus Haley
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave
This program has been in place for just over 4 months now, with some people complaining about it, and others who apparently think they are making a difference with their participation.

So I want to do a status check via poll to see what the handful of people who give a damn either way think about it.

I am setting this up so your member name is visible, btw.
But... there have been a few adjustments to the rules which are being enforced and as recently as last night to the point value associated with a given warning and total warning level required for removal... And not every individual who you have participating has had that status for very long.

Given that there were changes made as recently as they were, it's impossible to tell. Given that you've recently come down with a hardline "I don't care if they're criminal scum as long as they pay me the fee to get the status" position, it's too early to tell if it'll be abused and tanked.

You can say that the program as a whole has been in place four months, but every time a new individual is added as a mod, everytime there's a clarification on a rule emphasis and everytime a change is made to the point values (of individual warnings or total till removal) it resets everything. Given the strength of conviction people have been expressing their viewpoints with recently- I doubt you'll get many, if any, logical analysis out of anyone- just kneejerk responses based on recent argument and rebuttal.

Unless of course the point is to simply compose a list of people who have a negative view of the system as it currently is. Thinking back on things, the number of decent folks who have been driven off and crucified for simply disagreeing is staggering, as are the number who have been proven correct in retrospect. I suppose it'd be easier to start twisting their motivation and characterising their dissenting opinion as something far more malicious than it actually is if you've got a list you can just fill in with checkmarks.

Holy Lucille-style-bullshit, Batman!

Old 06-02-2007, 09:48 PM   #5
Bill & Amy
For the most part, I think the system had some great potential. Maybe we should require mods to have a GGC in good standing, if they fall below "par" , then they can't be a moderator on this forum. I'm just thinking out loud.

Old 06-02-2007, 10:52 PM   #6
romad119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill & Amy
For the most part, I think the system had some great potential. Maybe we should require mods to have a GGC in good standing, if they fall below "par" , then they can't be a moderator on this forum. I'm just thinking out loud.
I think you would be crossing the moderator portion with other aspects. It is based on how someone moderates not other areas. Also it is not a popularity contest and GGC could be used as a way to get back at a moderator by voting him a bad guy. If he is a bad moderator there are things that deal with that. Seperation of Church and State to use an analogy.

Let us do peer critiques and be supervised by Rich and the Super Mods. This performs the checks and balances better IMO then casting a vote. As you now see mods being put under closer scrutiny, justifiably so, with some of the warnings being revamped.

Old 06-02-2007, 11:11 PM   #7
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
I'm trying to choose, and I guess since things have already changed then "things are somewhat better but need some changes" is the closest to how I feel about it.

I agree with pretty much everything said by Seamus~ Bills idea (with some tweaking as Alan suggests) sounds like it may help resolve some of my reservations. I'm very worried by a couple of the people I see have purchased moderation ability (particularly a few that never paid the higher membership until they could use that to moderate their fellows)

But when it comes right down to it~ I guess I just want to know why we have to do this again. I'm not trying to be nasty~ so please try not to interpret what I have to say that way~ but can't anyone else see this pattern? Seems to me over the several years I've been here whenever things begin to get bit slow and predictable~ some major change is installed~ that then flies promptly flies in the face of what ever the predictable "norm" has become....all the "old timers" (clique~ dirty dozen, whatever you want to call them) get up and arms....the new guys try to tell the old guys the way it should be.....the oldtimers spit in everyones face and half the "predictable standby" posters wind up walking out in a huff or banned. Things will start to die down again eventually~ but once it starts to get slow and predictable again~ another major change will be installed.......

Maybe it's just a function of my hating to be "upgraded"~ I like it kind of predictable. After all this finally calms down again.....can't we just go with predictable for a while?

Old 06-02-2007, 11:27 PM   #8
Stardust
I am not a poll person but I went with it anyway. My choice was based on the recent changes that mod abuse holds a higher warning which I totally agree with.

Old 06-03-2007, 12:25 AM   #9
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill & Amy
On the surface this sounds like a workable plan, but thinking deeper about it exposes some substantial problems.

People have already expressed complaints about people using the GGC voting mechanisms in relation to situations unrelated to the BUSINESS aspects of the members participating in it. Although I am not too restrictive about such an interpretation, I can see where adding in yet another level of interpretation, such a person's actions as a moderator, will likely produce a precedent that I would likely regret in the future.

The warning point system mod program was designed with it's own inherent self contained feedback loop whereby all who are participating within it can effect corrective enforcement of the other participants actions via the warning points (Warning System Abuse). A rogue member in that group can be suspended and fined if the other participants collectively find this necessary to do. And as each will likely consider every other participating member as being representatives of the WHOLE group, it is in their best interests to enforce some minimum level of standards among their peers in how they act in this capacity.

Most people probably are not aware of it, but each time a WS mod uses the warning system they are presented with this warning:
Quote:
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Assessing warnings to members should be used responsibly and with due care. The warning should be issued ONLY for posts which violate the site rules, in the strictest of interpretations. Personal vendettas or grudge point battles may result in your losing this privilege without warning.
Only one warning per violation in a single post should be issued by YOU. Do NOT issue warnings for posts that do not violate any site rules and done frivolously or maliciously. Warnings have the potential to suspend members from this site, and therefore ANY members who abuse this privilege without justifiable grounds may find themselves fined and suspended as well as potentially LOSE their membership status.
So it's not like any WS mod using this tool will be unaware of the consequences of abusing that power. Each and every time they use the warning system, they will be reminded of this risk they take if it is abused. Yes, a WS mod most certainly can be fined and suspended from this site IF the other mods determine it is justified.

Tying the WS mods to being answerable to vindictive feedback from members via the GGC voting who they have warned for rule infractions may in fact neuter the entire program as those mods may resist enforcing the rules for fear of losing their GGC standing because of it. Any Participant level and above member can vote on the GGC poll as well as the Traders Ratings, which are directly tied to the GGC ratings. So in effect, it exposes the WS mods to a substantial amount of retaliation for doing what I had hoped they would do with this program. Which is, of course, enforce the rules here and take the burden off of my shoulders, as well as the system mods who carried this load for so long.

Combining the GGC with the WS mod program then makes BOTH systems at risk of failing in their respective roles. The GGC because it would lessen the actual business focus of it's design, and the WS mod program because it would put those mods in jeopardy of having their business reputation unfairly impacted from the votes stemming from blatant retaliation for enforcing the rules here. Which means, of course, that they will be reluctant to do the job they were asked to do because the risk would be too great.

Honestly, it would be pretty much the same as setting up an individual poll for each and every mod (of all types) being utilized as a popularity contest. Pretty much you can guarantee that anyone who a mod has had to reprimand will then vote negatively against this person in retribution. Which, of course, would be demeaning to those people to have them subjected to such belittlement. I am not about to subject them to such abuse.

Sorry, but no, that is not what I have in mind for this WS plan. Those members who opt into this plan are going to be answerable to me, the system mods, and their fellow WS mods exclusively. That was what I originally had in mind, and thus far I don't see any reason to change that direction.

In any event, I hope this explains my thought processes sufficiently. Thank you for the suggestion, but I hope you see why I would have difficulties implementing it.

Old 06-03-2007, 02:41 AM   #10
Seamus Haley
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave
Honestly, it would be pretty much the same as setting up an individual poll for each and every mod (of all types) being utilized as a popularity contest.
Minus the "popularity contest" part... there may be something in that worth examining and refining.

Not polls open the the general membership of course, but as a hypothetical... Say there was a forum where the mods were the only ones with access, if concerns are raised about the integrity of a mod BY another mod- a poll could be created within that mod only forum- perhaps semi-anonymously; sending a request to see a poll opened through Rich who'd create a simple and straightforward thread which did not allow responses. "Should _____ have their status revoked" open it for say... three or four days and then require both a certain percentage of the active moderators to vote and then a certain substantial percentage voting for removal.

I'm not sure, offhand, what the number of active moderators is these days but let's say- for the sake of kindergarten level math, there are one hundred. Moderator A believes that there's a problem with the credibility, integrity or intentions of Moderator B. They use the PM system to request that a thread be generated with two poll options; one positive and one negative and the poll is left open for three days. In order for any changes to result, let's say 2/3rds of the mods need to weigh in with a vote, so 66-67 votes need to be cast by other mods. In order for a mod status to be revoked, 3/4ths (or whatever substantial percentage feels "right") of the votes need to be in favor of removal. If fifty people or more vote for removal... it happens.

This would restrict the decision making process to those individuals who have met the "invested in this site's success" requirements as set forth- AND leave it in the hands of those individuals who have some direct interest in keeping the group in line AND remove the responsibility for making the decision solo based on posts. If the percentages are set high enough, it would protect itself from abuses, since it'd need to be an overwhelmingly large group to convince if the basis for the "please start a poll" is something personal or petty. Straight "popularity contests" wouldn't generate the required minimum vote base to begin with and individuals who's status might be in doubt would never meet the majority voting negatively to actually remove them.

Mods who directly abuse the system have the warning point thing that might catch up with them, or in the best case scenario, correct their negative behaviors. Some of the recent objections were based more on the allowance of criminal scumbags into the ranks.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!