Does reptile relief kill the eggs? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:39 AM   #1
Kingetula
Does reptile relief kill the eggs?

I was poking around the internet and came across Reptile Relief. (Kills mite on contact) but does that include the eggs? I lost some snakes a few years ago while on vacation because of mites. I think this might be good just to have onhand, just incase. Just curious if it kills the eggs on contact or is a retreat needed

Old 08-27-2009, 05:41 AM   #2
hhmoore
I've never used the product, but the sales blurb says
Quote:
The active ingredients in De Flea products work together to soften the waxy exoskeleton of fleas, ticks, lice, mites, and other insects. Once the insect's armor has been penetrated, its internal organs are saturated and the insect quickly bursts. De Flea products work for all stages of an insect's life cycle, eggs, larvae, pupae and adult--effectively eliminating all insects from the home
I generally take those things with a grain of salt until I have first hand experience, or hear enough positive feedback to make it believable.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:25 AM   #3
SPJ
All this junk does is make things smell like an orange.
It's worthless IME.
Pick up a can of provent a mite.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:56 AM   #4
TripleMoonsExotic
I use the Nix Mite Treatment method. All of those chain store mite treatments are junk in my experience.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:36 AM   #5
Gina Gauvin
Lightbulb

The key with treating with the reptile relief is you have to actually saturate the mite or egg. If you have a lot of tanks, or it get's out of control before you realize it, it's hard to cover every surface, and that includes woodwork, carpet, curtains. And you don't want to kill your reptile so you have to be careful.
If you find you've got them, remove the snake or lizard, soak in a bucket, use a toothebrush to rub off any you can see, rinse, if it's infested, you may want to use an antiseptic like povidone from a pharmacy, dilute to a weak tea color, dry, spray with reptile relief or any other reptile safe spray but not in eyes, put in a shoebox.
Leave it there while treating the reptiles room. Wash tank and supplies in hot soapy water, soak in a 10%bleach, water solution, rinse well. Dry and then soak well with reptile relief. Let dry. Put branches outside to sun dry for the day.
If you have a rug and furniture in that room, use flea powder to dust the rug, couch mattress, etc. But remove curtains, sheets and wash. Let flea powder stay on for the day. If you have wood frames or a wood tank stand, use furniture polish and soak. It sounds like a lot, but a few hours of work once a week for a few weeks is worth it rather than losing your reptiles.
You have to vacuum fleapowder off floor and furniture before bringing reptile back in room. Use newspaper in tank instead of substrate and don't put any wood ornaments in it for a few weeks. I think it's hard to find all the eggs so you should be prepared for a new generation a couple days later and a repeat cleaning of the tank and spraying it again should help till they die off.
Here's a few links that you can get more info from;
Click here: Melissa Kaplan's Herp and Green Iguana Information Collection
Click here: Getting rid of reptile mites
If they don't work, try googling the topic.
Good luck!

Old 09-26-2009, 02:29 AM   #6
pestodeculo
If you can still find some Black Knight, it works quite well. That along with the Nix treatment mentioned above^^

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!