too much vitamin supplement? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-10-2004, 12:08 PM   #1
ShannanD25
too much vitamin supplement?

Is there a thing as overdosing your Leo?

I ask because I found the strangest thing last night. I keep a dish of vitamins in their bins...but for some reason as I was carrying aroun one of my girls she made a nose dive into the open jar of vitamins and began eating it by the mouthful....I experimented with all of my Leos, they all ravenously dug into it off the spoon....yet they aren't as excited about it in their dish...
Can they eat too much? I am thinking of letting them do this once a week....it was amazing....they would bite at the spoon and gulp it down...

Old 09-10-2004, 12:48 PM   #2
Vince
I don't know about ODing but they will definitely be dehydrated, would you your self take more then the recommended amount of a vitamin supplement? I mean would you sit there and chew down vitamins like candy? usefully to much of a good thing can be bad. just gut loading your feeders and dusting once a week is plenty.

Old 09-10-2004, 12:52 PM   #3
Vince
hey you said something about they dont eat it out of the dish, maybe they are eating it up becuse of the movement of the spoon???

Old 09-10-2004, 01:49 PM   #4
ShannanD25
It is possible but the girl that took her nose dive into the bottle of it wasn't attracted by the spoon.....very odd

Old 09-10-2004, 02:09 PM   #5
Vince
Yeah that is something, don't leos naturally eat sand for extra calcium? Maybe that's what they are looking for?? you should really stop giving them large amounts until you talk to an expert on leos, and see if there will be any ill effects.

Old 09-10-2004, 02:26 PM   #6
Elmo
It is possible to overdose on Vitamin D3 I think but not calcium (as any calcium not utilised by the D3 passes through their system). I only dust with multivitamins once a week, calcium on all other feedings, and leave a dish of CALCIUM in the tank for Amos.

I'm sure a one off won't be too detrimental but don't let them at the whiskey jar too often!

Old 09-10-2004, 06:04 PM   #7
Xelda
The chances of ODing will depend on a lot of variables, such as what you gutload with, how often you supplement, what brand you supplement with, etc. Once a week does sound like too much though if you're letting them eat it straight from a spoon. I think Vitamin A is the one you have to keep an eye out for the most.

Old 09-10-2004, 06:17 PM   #8
Xavier
It is very possible

I wouldn't recommand any more than lightly dusting for vitamins and minerals outside of pure calcium which there no need to worry about. From what I've read over dosing of Vit D3 is pretty much just as bad as the effect of not enough vit. D3.

Old 09-10-2004, 06:34 PM   #9
groovygeckos
dunno

any book ive read or pro i talk to recommends a dish of calcium w/d3 so they can take it as they need it ! i am sure that they need the d3 to help use the calcium effectively though ! ide say just to be safe , offer straight calcium only in a dish , then offer it w/ d3 from time to time !!(maybe once a week ) only my opinion and of course i do not know for sure how much d3 is enough (or too much) ! but at least that way they wont take too much d3 , they can eat calcium all day long though (not litterally) u get my drift ! anyone please tell me if this makes sense to you ? thanx dan

Old 09-10-2004, 10:58 PM   #10
shrap
Just a thought.... but how long do you go between throwing out the old calcium in their enclosure and putting in fresh calcium??? Could this be a stale issue?

Or even contamination....in the sense that crickets have been in the calcium and pooped in it?? Or any other feeders you may use....

Like I said, just a thought.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!