Home Fecal Tests - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-22-2007, 12:59 AM   #1
Robust_Beardies
Home Fecal Tests

We are looking into getting the necessary supplies to perform our own fecal tests on our dragons. Resources of information seam to be a bit scarce . . . but since everyone on here is so helpful and seams to know a little about everything, here's our question!!!

What kind of microscope would we need to properly view the sample? (We managed to acquire a microscope that has 4x, 10x and 40x lenses that can be magnified to 40x, 100x and 400x. Will this do the job?) Can anyone recommend some literature to help identify what we would be seeing? We understand that we will need test tubes, slides, slip covers and the proper fluid to mix the sample with. Where could we possibly purchase such a fluid or what is the recipe to make it at home?

Thanks for the help!!

Old 01-22-2007, 01:20 AM   #2
techgirl
The scope you have should be fine. Fecasol is a good solution for floatations. I remember a mixture of sugar and water, but can't remember the correct proportions. I would tell you about the book I have but I can't find it right now.

Old 01-22-2007, 01:21 AM   #3
techgirl
As for slides, slip covers. That's good. For the container to put the poo in, empty film canisters work well.

Old 01-22-2007, 08:59 AM   #4
Donnie Smith
A good book:

Understanding Reptile Parasites: Manual for Herpetoculturists and Veterinarians By Roger J. Klingenberg

Old 01-26-2007, 06:47 PM   #5
Robust_Beardies
Thanks for the book reference. We'll have to go to a Barnes and Noble to pick one up. One more question though. How long should we keep the slipcover on top of the flotation solution/fecal mix for? Some sources say 10 minutes while others say 30 minutes. Make it an even 20 minutes maybe? Thanks!

Old 01-26-2007, 07:47 PM   #6
techgirl
10 to 15 minutes tops. Too long and the solution starts to crystallize and then you can't read anything.

Old 01-27-2007, 01:31 AM   #7
calientedragons
There is some good info on beautifuldragons.com I have their laminated sheet and I use Understanding Reptile Parasites: Manual for Herpetoculturists and Veterinarians By Roger J. Klingenberg as reference I do wish there was some better info on it though, I have search the web endlessly! Sometimes I am just so lost! For me it is very time consuming and I am not sure of myself yet, But call me a sick O, I think it is fun! LOL
If you do find better info let me know!

Old 01-30-2007, 01:15 PM   #8
Valic0729
Yes I do my own! I have the above mentioned book and fluid, but I have a fecal sample container I found online at a vet supply store KV VET SUPPLY! They have sample stuff there! I put the poop in the sample container and fill it way give it a quick side to side shack and fill itto the top, almost over flowing it so that the para if any will reach the slide! Put the thing on the top, I wait 15 min then put it under the scope!

I will share this with you, when I started it was a bit hard to tell what you are looking at evn with pic's! I thought for sure my dragon have Threadworm or whipworm some call it! lo but instead it was pin worm larva so becareful thing look alot like each other and somthimes you can't tell them apart! The beauti of it it that most para can be treated with one med Panacur! Good luck!

Old 02-11-2007, 11:21 AM   #9
Robust_Beardies
We'll we got all the supplies we needed and cool enough, the microscope has a camera attachment so we can take pictures of what we are viewing. From what we were able to decipher from internet sources, it looks like one of our dragons has pinworm. Is this what that is? *We looked for the book everyone recommended, but no store is carrying it right now because it is being reprinted in March*

Some of the cells appeared to be broken on one end. We're guessing that they already hatched? The second picture is an example of this.

Where would we get the necessary medicine to rid him of this? What mathematical equation would we use to establish the correct dosage?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!