MVB's...good or bad? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-08-2008, 11:01 PM   #1
Valley Dragons
MVB's...good or bad?

I want to get your opinions on this one. I am nervous about using them. I've read bad things about them...like eye damage and immune system problems being linked to exposure to these bulbs - both in reptiles and their owners. What are your experiences, good or bad?

Jamie

Old 01-08-2008, 11:39 PM   #2
dragonss
MVB what is this?

Old 01-09-2008, 12:16 AM   #3
bullfrog100000
I've heard they are good. Ask Tracie, she will probably find this thread. She has researched all the light bulbs. Seems like some compacts and coils are the problem.

We do wonder if our male BD rescue had light issues before we got him... he doesn't have real good aim at his food.

One thing we like about these is they are both UVB and heat so no need for 2 bulbs.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:55 AM   #4
Drache613
Hello

Hello,

The Mercury Vapor Bulbs are actually much safer than some of the bulbs that have come out in the last year or so.
All of the test results that I have seen none of the Mercury vapor bulbs have not emitted any harmful or low wavelength UVB's which are known to be harmful especially to the eyes.
The main thing you have to be concerned with is the distance you are keeping the bulbs from your dragon. They do need to be kept at 12 inches if you have a 100 watt or 18 inches if you have a 160 watt.
The minimum tank size that they should be used in is a 30 gallon for a 100 watt. If you are going to use a 160 watt I recommend a taller tank, at least a 2 foot tall one just due to the distance requirements, & at least a 75 gallon.
The bulbs that have been causing problems with eyes & immune system problems are the compacts, coils & the Zilla desert T50 series flourescent tube bulb, & most recently, the Reptiglo 10 flourescent tube bulb.

If you want more information, just ask.

Tracie

Old 01-09-2008, 10:04 AM   #5
JimD
I used to use them and they were good. I had some of the domes mounted inside the tank and my dragons would sit so close to the bulb I thought theyd get burnt for sure but they were good with it.

Jim

Old 01-09-2008, 10:52 AM   #6
Valley Dragons
Thanks for the replies, guys. I usually use the ReptiSun 10.0's, but I bought some of the ReptiGlo 10.0's to try out a couple of months ago. Oops.

What about the dangers of UVB lighting in general to humans? Was this just from the old-school MVB's? I try not to look directly at them, but it can be kind of hard when you spend hours a day in a room that is chock-full of UVB lights. I also recently read that the makers of MVB's recommend using eye protection when working around these bulbs. I just wonder if it is truly a risk, or if people are just being overly cautious. I really don't want to go blind for the sake of my reptiles, lol.

I also have a question concerning UVA. I have assumed that the UVB tube lights also give out adequate amounts of UVA, which I have read is important to mood and breeding. Is this correct, or should I spend the money to buy a seperate UVA bulb for my dragons?

Jamie

Old 01-09-2008, 10:54 AM   #7
Valley Dragons
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Dragons
I try not to look directly at them, but it can be kind of hard when you spend hours a day in a room that is chock-full of UVB lights.
I was referring to looking at the tube lights that I use (not MVB's)...I just wanted to make that more clear, lol.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:46 PM   #8
Drache613
Hello

Hello,

Yeah sorry about those Reptiglo 10 tubes, they just turned out to not be a very good light so far. I know that Dr. Baines is working on a report to send to Exo terra, but has only done the compact & coil lights. The tube bulbs, she is still working on.
The tube bulbs, unless you stare right at them, should not affect your eyes, as long as there is enough bright light in the room to cause your pupils to constrict which allows less light into your pupil to reduce damage just as they do when you go outside in the sun from being indoors, or vice versa. Your eyes have to adjust. I don't think you will need to wear any eye protection or SPF around them.
The Mercury Vapor Bulbs are bright, yes, & most of them put off a slightly off white to yellowish hue on the color spectrum. I feel that alot of times, you may need a bit of extra lighting to enhance the brightness for the overall Kelvin readings. To save electricity, assuming using a MVB will heat up the tank sufficiently, you can just use a basic white flourescent tube bulb to increase the overall brightness of the tank. You would actually be amazed how much that increases the appearance of the light in conjunction with a MVB.
If you have a MVB on one end, just use a long flourescent tube starting at the end where the MVB is & run it maybe 3/4th of the length of the tank. It really makes it look nice. Plus, it doesn't use much extra electricity, either. That would fulfill any extra UVA requirements that they need in conjunction with MVB usage. They do give off adequate UVA's but if you want the extra brightness, try the flourescent, too.
As far as eye protection or skin protection, if you are going to be spending a decent amount of time around those lights, you should probably play it safe. I would use SPF especially if you are fair skinned, as well as some type of eye protection. Again, it just depends on how long of an exposure timeframe you are talking about.

I hope that helps.

Tracie

Old 02-10-2008, 01:08 PM   #9
GREGORY J HALL
so full spectrum coiled bulbs are bad? have one in a clamp light so I should not use it & get a long tube light?

Old 02-11-2008, 07:00 PM   #10
Drache613
Hello

Hello,

The coiled full spectrum lightbulbs are fine. They do not emit any UVB light just UVA so they are fine & perfectly safe to use to brighten up the tank with.

Tracie

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!