Lighting What can I use NOW? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-11-2008, 11:32 PM   #1
lizardsrock
Lighting What can I use NOW?

Hello!

My head is about to explode with all of the lighting information out there. I do appreciate the information and research that was done to list that.

I have Bearded Dragons and a Veiled Chameleon.

I had another Chameleon, which was closer to the bulb, that died last week.

So what do you all recommend for lighting. I do not use any of the strip lights, I only use Spotlights. What UVB for Bearded with what bulb?

What UVB / UVA for Chameleon?

Actual brands and watts, numbers, etc, that are good would be great!

Thanks for any suggestions!

Old 01-12-2008, 12:34 AM   #2
LauraB
Personally, I use the same lighting for my chams and my beardies ... ReptiSun 5.0 tubes for UVB and good old (clear glass) household bulbs for heat/basking.

The wattage of any basking bulb you use will depend upon several factors: the type of cage you have (tanks for beardies, tall screen enclosure for chams); the distance between the uppermost basking area and the bulb, and the age of the animal.

Make sure to measure your temps and keep them consistent and suitable for each species. Adjust either the wattage or the position of the basking area to achieve optimum temps.

Old 01-12-2008, 12:42 AM   #3
LauraB
Should have mentioned ....

On my larger tanks and cham enclosures, I use two 5.0's instead of 1 10.0. I suppose one 10.0 fixture would do on the larger cages; I just prefer the added light and flexibility of using two fixtures for UVB.

Old 01-12-2008, 11:35 PM   #4
Drache613
Hello

Hello,

The best flourescent tube UVB bulbs are the reptisun 10's, but NOT the compacts or coils, they are hazardous. Next in line is the reptiglo 8 flourescent tube UVB bulb.
The reptisun 5 is ok, but with bearded dragons, I personally don't feel like they are quite strong enough.
Regular bright white household lightbulbs are great. If you use a house hold lightbulb, make sure it is a natural daylight type, you know, the type with a bluish tint to it. The light is much whiter than the regular soft white lightbulb.
If your tank is larger than a 40 gallon, you could opt for a Mercury vapor bulb.

Tracie

Old 01-12-2008, 11:50 PM   #5
lizardsrock
THANKS!

I was wondering if the bluish lights would be good. I thought yes, but I wanted to check first.

THANKS!

Old 01-13-2008, 12:02 AM   #6
The BoidSmith
Could someone post the link to the UK information? I lost track of which thread it was and it's very good, and unbiased.

Thanks.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:58 AM   #7
Drache613
Hello

Hello,

If you are talking about the UK lighting report, here it is:

http://www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor.htm

Yes, the regular daytime household lightbulb that has a light bluish tint to the bulb puts out a bright white light. It is a nice spectrum for them.

Tracie

Old 01-14-2008, 09:16 AM   #8
lizardsrock
Thanks to all!

I kicked up the wattage with a 100 watt bluish bulb and hung another light on Aggie's cage. I extended his basking spot six inches and he was so proud. They have such a personality!

I think that he gave me a thumbs up!

THANKS!

Old 01-14-2008, 07:36 PM   #9
The BoidSmith
Thanks Tracie!

Old 01-15-2008, 05:32 PM   #10
Drache613
Hello

Hello,

No problem at all! I am happy that i was able to help out with your lighting!

Tracie

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!