You know what bugs me.... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-21-2007, 11:55 PM   #1
Biscuit71
You know what bugs me....

I hate it when someone lists a snake for sale in the classifieds as a "pastel sibling"... I mean really.. is it really anyhting more special than a plain old normal? And to top it all off, they sell it for about 3 times what its worth. I think they are hoping people will bite thinking that it is Het for Pastel or something... I know it is petty, but it jsut drives me nuts when I see it.

Old 02-22-2007, 10:04 AM   #2
LadyOhh
I agree...

Usually I just ignore it, but when I see someone interested, I will usually PM them and explain the genetics behind it to make sure they don't get swindled and they know what they are getting into.

Old 02-22-2007, 10:24 AM   #3
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
hhhhmmmmm

I never thought of it that way. I advertised my pastel siblings this year using the term "pastel sibling". I did it that way so people would know there was nothing special about thier genetics~ but there is about thier breeding. They are not Captive Hatched, and they are not normals produced in a possible het to possible het breeding~ they are Captive Born and Bred Normals from a clutch I bred to get pastels.

Old 02-22-2007, 11:16 AM   #4
droogievesch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
hhhhmmmmm

I never thought of it that way. I advertised my pastel siblings this year using the term "pastel sibling". I did it that way so people would know there was nothing special about thier genetics~ but there is about thier breeding. They are not Captive Hatched, and they are not normals produced in a possible het to possible het breeding~ they are Captive Born and Bred Normals from a clutch I bred to get pastels.

Wouldn't advertising them as captive bred normals do the same thing?

Old 02-22-2007, 11:33 AM   #5
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
I suppose it would. But I like to know as much as possible about an animal and knowing the female I was purchasing is a Pastel Sibling assures me that she is in fact CBB. When I had mine for sale I sold the males cheap~ but the females at a premium as I think CBB females are worth more and I didn't mind keeping them. In fact I still have 3 of them~ they didn't sell for my asking price so I kept them.

Maybe next year I'll make a point in the ad of making sure it is understood that Pastel Siblings are normals (I honestly don't recall if I had in the ads this year~ but I most certainly made it clear if I thought someone was confusing them for a het and let people know not to trust anyone trying to sell you a "Het Pastel") But I think I will probably still mention that they are Pastel Siblings. Just like when I was selling the CBB normal 05 females I mentioned in the ad that they were the product of breeding two possible het Axanthics that did not prove out. It would make a difference to me~ knowing why a clutch was bred (Such as they are pastel siblings, or they are from an unproven poss het breeding, or normals were what was being looked for out of the clutch). The more information given like that the less I suspect the animals of being CH and just advertised as CBB to get a premium price.

I don't know if I'm making sense~ I sometimes find what I am trying to say is not what people are getting from what I wrote. I hope I am making sense. I will probably still use "pastel sibling" for advertising Pastel Siblings~ and I am not trying to rip anyone off. It's the kind of information I Like to see in an ad.

Old 02-22-2007, 12:34 PM   #6
droogievesch
I think the best way for people to know you're not selling CH as CB is to have a solid reputation, and the more information (which can seem confusing or contradicting) can impair getting said reputation. When I buy something I want to concisely know what I am getting, but I don't want the family tree (although it should be available upon request). As for hets not proving out-I do believe it should be mentioned for the first few clutches (if they don't prove out after 5 times of trying chances are they won't ever prove out and therefore their offspring have a greater chance of being plain normals).

If you list things as pastel siblings so people don't think you're selling CH do you also list things as normal siblings?

Old 02-22-2007, 12:46 PM   #7
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
I could list pastels as normal siblings if it makes you feel better~

Old 02-22-2007, 12:51 PM   #8
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
The point I'm trying to get at is I honestly don't understand what your problem with the term "Pastel sibling" is. When my het pieds produce for me if I get any pieds in the clutch you can bet I'll be listing any 66% hets I have for sale as being a sibling of a pied.

Anyone lising pastel HETS is trying to rip people off. But Pastel Sibling is just information on the animal. They are normals~ that were CBB for a purpose~ and the truth is I do look with a bit of suspicion on "nromal CBB" ads unless I know why the breeder chose to breed those normals. Is it a pastel sibling? A spider sibling? Or a CH baby your trying to sell for a premium?

Edit~ a little more (I'm really not good at getting my point across)~ to me it is also important to know if it is a Pastel Sibling or a Spider sibling. It may not be important to you~ but I don't know what causes the spiders to spin......but I do know pastels lines have not been reported to show what may be a genetic abnormality such as that. If I were purchasing a "Normal CBB female" with the intent of breeding her to a spider someday~ i'd sure want to know if she is a sibling to a spider.

Old 02-22-2007, 01:40 PM   #9
Wilomn
Cheryl, I wouldn't worry over your wording. You were quite clear in your ads that the siblings you were selling were just normals that had sibs that were expressing traits. There was no room for misunderstanding unless some dimwit was looking to split hairs.

I had no problem understanding anything you've put up this year. I'm sure I'm far from alone alone in having NO problems with the wording of your ads.

Old 02-22-2007, 01:58 PM   #10
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
Thanks Wes,
I actually just popped back in because I was thinking.........
I'm just in a bad mood and taking this whole Pastel Sibling thing entirely too personally. I know I run my ads with as much information as possible and that I'm not trying to scam anyone. No one has accused me of trying to scam anyone.....why am I taking it personally???.....it's that week where things just seem a bit more personal. Time for me to apologize for being snippy and SHUT UP! (LOL~ If I'd learn to shut up when I know I'm a bit over the edge emotionally I wouldn't have to apologize so often)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!