preparation? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-10-2007, 12:18 PM   #1
breakdown
preparation?

What are the best kinds of non-venomous snakes to keep to prepare for the real thing? Now obviously i know there is no substitution for the real thing but i'm just wondering what would make good practice. I think venomoid is barbaric so i'd never go that route.

Old 03-10-2007, 12:53 PM   #2
constrictorcrazi74
agression

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think etb's and gtp's are some of the coolest snakes on earth i'm seriously considering getting one or possibly a jungle carpet python. the only problem is ive heard all of these snakes are quite agressive and quick to bite. I dont care to much about being bitten, it comes with the territory, but my girlfriend doesnt want agressive snakes, so which is the best choice and can they be tamed? also whats the average size of each of these snakes as adults?

if your girlfriend dosent want u to have an agressive snake i dont think a venomoid would be the right choice 99.9% off venomous snakes are extremely agressive just my oppinion .And i dont think there is really any snake that can prepare u for a venomous snake but if there is any thing arboreals are the choice because they strike extremely quik and can strike a good percent of there body length ....... good luck with your choice
joe

Old 03-10-2007, 03:54 PM   #3
hhmoore
You are correct in that there is no substitute for the real thing...but good practice is good practice. Treat every snake you own as if it is venomous and wants you dead. Learn to use a hook, as well as other tools, for snake "handling" and cage maintenance. Always be aware of the potential - never just stick your hand in the cage, even when you think the snake is tucked snugly in its hide.

As far as what types of snakes might be most similar in behavior & attitude, or provide you with the "feel" you are trying to develop...well that depends on what venomous you hope to work with. Bitis, Naja, Crotalus, and Trimeresurus are very different animals, so you need to have different skills for each.

Old 03-10-2007, 11:54 PM   #4
Clay Davenport
I see a new girlfriend in your future.....

You're interests are quickly moving beyond her tolerance limits and something will have to give. You might want to start formulating your response now for the inevitable "it's me or the snakes" ultimatum.

Old 03-11-2007, 05:44 AM   #5
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by constrictorcrazi74
99.9% off venomous snakes are extremely agressive just my oppinion
While I am sure this expression of your opinion is well-intentioned, I have to disagree with it. I have kept a fair number of venomous reptiles over the years (approx 35 species total; and at one time, the "hot" portion of my collection was larger in number and diversity than the group of animals currently under my care), and I can count on one hand - without even using all 5 fingers - the ones I considered truly aggressive. That is not to say that I considered them tame, or even that they wouldn't have bitten me if I made a mistake...just that they didn't fit the definition of aggressive.
characterized by or tending toward unprovoked offensives, attacks, invasions, or the like
Take the vast majority of venomous reptiles, put them in a situation where they are not closely confined and 5-6 ft away from a person that is not threatening them...what will they do? The vast majority will either sit still or move away from the person (you will find the occasional errant behavior, wherein the snake moves toward, then past the person). Very rarely, if there are other choices, will the animal choose, instead, to attack the person. Put the person closer, making the situation more threatening to the snake, and you will start to see different behaviors. Getting too close, especially if it involves any sort of contact (even with a hook), and you have added provocation. So called aggressive behavior at that point is simply self defense.

Old 03-11-2007, 01:06 PM   #6
constrictorcrazi74
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore
While I am sure this expression of your opinion is well-intentioned, I have to disagree with it. I have kept a fair number of venomous reptiles over the years (approx 35 species total; and at one time, the "hot" portion of my collection was larger in number and diversity than the group of animals currently under my care), and I can count on one hand - without even using all 5 fingers - the ones I considered truly aggressive. That is not to say that I considered them tame, or even that they wouldn't have bitten me if I made a mistake...just that they didn't fit the definition of aggressive.
characterized by or tending toward unprovoked offensives, attacks, invasions, or the like
Take the vast majority of venomous reptiles, put them in a situation where they are not closely confined and 5-6 ft away from a person that is not threatening them...what will they do? The vast majority will either sit still or move away from the person (you will find the occasional errant behavior, wherein the snake moves toward, then past the person). Very rarely, if there are other choices, will the animal choose, instead, to attack the person. Put the person closer, making the situation more threatening to the snake, and you will start to see different behaviors. Getting too close, especially if it involves any sort of contact (even with a hook), and you have added provocation. So called aggressive behavior at that point is simply self defense.
i totally agree with you i was just sayin venomous are more prone to bite the other snakes but every thing with a mouth can bight i think you should have more expericne with snakes before you go jumping into venomoids like u said when they strike thats there only line of defense i agree with you a 100% i was more puttin it towards that if you give them the chance to bight their gunna take it thats just there nature iguess

Old 03-11-2007, 02:45 PM   #7
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by constrictorcrazi74
i totally agree with you i was just sayin venomous are more prone to bite the other snakes but every thing with a mouth can bight i think you should have more expericne with snakes before you go jumping into venomoids like u said when they strike thats there only line of defense i agree with you a 100% i was more puttin it towards that if you give them the chance to bight their gunna take it thats just there nature iguess
just out of curiosity, do you know what venomoid means?

Old 03-11-2007, 03:11 PM   #8
constrictorcrazi74
yea its anything that produces venom in a line of hunting and killing their prey or its a way to immobilize its prey and they use there venom to help start digestive process is that what you were looking for?????????

Old 03-11-2007, 03:59 PM   #9
hhmoore
that's what I thought...
venomoid is a term applied to venomous reptiles that have been physically altered to render them "safe". This is typically done by removal of the venom glands and/or duct ligation. I did not say "surgically" altered because, more often than not, it is not performed under sterile conditions by a licensed veterinarian.

Old 03-11-2007, 04:03 PM   #10
constrictorcrazi74
hmmmmmm i learen something new today im not about to say anything ignorent about your remarks but thanks fer the info i dont like to step low down to other peoples level and make them feel dumb i would rather educate people then to make them feel stupid than make myself feel good because i no more then they do that just no me

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!