One Who has No Beliefs and Why....... - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > SOUND OFF!!!

Notices

SOUND OFF!!! Ever have something REALLY bugging you and nowhere to vent about it? Well, this is the place. It does not have to be fauna oriented at all! Get it off your chest right here.

Old 03-31-2004, 09:24 PM   #11
Randy T.
(Quote Darrin Chappel)

Also, for the Atheist to say that there is no God, he must by reason of thought, say that he knows all and from this complete knowledge he can know that there is no God. For the theist to assert God's existence, he need only have one proof of His existence and no more. Proving a negative is INFINITELY more difficult (if indeed not impossible) than is proving a positive assertion.

I understand to prove the existance of something only takes one instance, but I have yet to see,hear,read of any such instance anywhere other then religious text.

Also, to what were you referring (Randy, I mean) when you stated that the Bible specifically forbids the marrying of a woman to her dead husband's brother? I want to make certain I understand you correctly.

I will try and pull up the text where it shows this, it may take awhile. (work too many hours..lol)
Later

Old 04-05-2004, 07:38 AM   #12
Glenn Bartley
Quote:
Also, for the Atheist to say that there is no God, he must by reason of thought, say that he knows all and from this complete knowledge he can know that there is no God. For the theist to assert God's existence, he need only have one proof of His existence and no more.
So are you saying that because more than one piece of proof has been offered that:

1) Darwin was correct about evolution.

2) Jesus is god.

3) Allah is god.

3) Vishnu is god,

4) Thor is god.

5) Baal is god.

6) Frea is god.

7) Zeus is the head of all gods.

8) Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny really exist.

9) Bill Clinton had very good morals and was faithful to his wife.

To say any of them is false would be to mean that you know everything. To say they are true only requires only one proof????????? I think I could offer proof for everyone of the above with the possible exception of a single one - you guess which.

Of course the theologian or theist needs only one proof of god, and then says oh man we have proven it to the heathens. Of course I have yet to see proof positive, let alone one proof of any sort, so I doubt. Then again, is it not true that the religious needs no proof - that being the essence of faith? This is the big problem with religion and religious beliefs as I see it: No matter how many times someone offers proof to a religious person, the religious person blatantly says in essence 'oh no you are wrong, it was god who did this'; and no matter how many times a nonreligious person asks a religious person for some hard cold evidence, the religious person always seems to fall back on faith. Then again it is a problem with the scientist too. In the end when it comes down to the big bang (or whatever theory you choose) if you ask the scientist what came before, or why does it worjk that way, he can only go so far before admitting that he does not know (or saying it requires more research). I tend to think it is better to admit that one does not know than to assume it must be that it comes down to a supreme being.

Of course this is my opinion, and it is subject to change when someone, anyone offers up proof positive for either case. Until that time, I will be blissfully ignorant and doubtful......

All the best,
Glenn B

Old 04-13-2004, 05:16 PM   #13
Mercer Don
Religiously speaking, how old is this planet? 2500, 3500, 5500 years old? Yet, there is scientific PROOf of HUMAN life 30,000+ years ago. (We'll just leave dinosaurs out of this, since "GOD" must have placed their bones in the earths crust.)

How can something so popular, (religion) which is based on fear, have such a following? Fear of commiting a sin. Fear of going to Hell. Fear of eternal damnation. Fear of not going to your "happy place". Since when is fear a good thing? I thought fear made you weak? Wait, it does. That explains it. Shouldn't people just be happy, without the "fear of God" over their head? To many weak minds.

Why do some need a "book", church, or religous leader to tell them whats right from wrong? Stealing=Bad, Murder=Bad, Rape=Bad, Polite=Good, Generous=Good, Caring=Good. Lying=Depends on the moment . Is this really that dificult to grasp? Sounds like something that should be taught by parents or in kindergarten.

Why do most religions want your money? Does "God" need a new Mercedes? A beach house on the moon? Pay off alter boys family? Or is "He" in debt? Why do they need a new church or temple? Did "God" tell them to redecorate? Where does the money go? I know, legal funds!

How many different types of insects are known to exist? 6 million? 8? 10? Maybe even 30 million since new ones are discovered almost everyday. Was there a pair of each of these on Noahs little boat? Wonder how many he was not able to take with him, or how many alllll the lizards and birds ate along the way?

Who wrote the "Book"? Meer mortal men, thats who. Story tellers. Liars. When was the last time you saw a sea part, or a burning bush? (Well, I've seen some pretty hot bush, but none that were burning!) Everyday I hope to see a "miracle", but I guess I shouldn't hold my breath. Doodoodoodoo,doot, da doodoo "Only a miracle can save us now."

Bigfoot, Loch Ness, Champ, Aliens, or the Lizard man have more proof of existence than "God". Atleast we have hair samples, footprints, photos, sightings and crop circles from them. PROOF is there of no "God". When FACTS can prove otherwise, maybe I'll change my veiws. (Like that will happen!)

"Out of the ooze, and born to cruise!!"

Don

Old 04-17-2004, 09:00 AM   #14
meretseger
Well, fundamentalist Christians being wrong doesn't negate the exsistence of some sort of higher power, not that I'm saying that there necessarily IS one. We just should keep the two concepts seperate. I'm imagining how funny it would be if... say... there were fundamentalists for the ancient Egyptian religion trying to affect school policy. "We don't want to say evolution is wrong, we just want to leave room for an alternate theory with an Intelligent Designer, who most likely created the earth from a formless ocean by having relations with himself."

Erin B.

Old 04-21-2004, 07:49 AM   #15
j tyler
I believe that the so called Wesrern religions-Judaism, Xn and Islam are Evil. Anyone who belives in one of these ideologies should be viewed with pity. Furthermore, anyone who belives in one of these revolting belief systems should not own herps because they have proven themselves,by the mere fact of their lunacy, to be irresponsilble. Who knows maybe tommorow they will start to think god told them to destroy all reptiles.

Old 04-21-2004, 09:51 AM   #16
ms_terese
I'm glad to see that there are people here who can have a discussion on such highly charged issues without resorting to sweeping generalizations and derogatory comments.

Old 04-21-2004, 10:07 AM   #17
Darin Chappell
I bailed on this thread a while back. However, I do check on it from time to time to see what's being written. Both of those appear to have been good decisions, I think.

Old 04-22-2004, 12:06 AM   #18
scales
you can't blame the actions of a few on the whole. there have been a few bad presidents, is america bad now? everyone is human and makes mistakes are you so much better that you can judge someone else? if you are so unforgiving to anyone who makes a mistake then you're going to get pretty lonely. being an atheist is unfortunate because there is alot of good things going on that you would refuse to see because of your beliefs. there is a creator, just look at the perfection of your own pets. that just didn't happen or evolve over time, they wouldn't survive.
this is a wicked world we live in and some people get sucked into it but there are alot of good people out there. are they bad because of everybody else?

Old 04-22-2004, 01:31 PM   #19
SpindleHead
All religions have one thing in common. Faith, plain and simple. You can make all the arguments you want regarding the Bible or God but the fact is Faith is what keeps people coming back.

It is ridiculous to say that religion is evil, or that people who believe in God shouldn't have pets. You are making sweeping generaliztions about people you don't know. Millions in fact!
So you don't believe in God, well that's your right, or rather your lack of faith but that doesn't mean the people that do are wrong because they don't agree with you. I am not saying that you are wrong, but you don't KNOW He doesn't exist for a FACT either. You are making assumptions based on your beliefs but they aren't necessarily true either.

Truth is that belief in GOD does not take away from your existance here, so where's the harm in it? Faith keeps some people going, is that wrong? If I have faith in a higher power does that mean that I'm right? NO but what if I am? Then I guess my faith helped, and If i'm wrong does my life suddenly lose all meaning? NO again, because of my belief I was kind and looked out for others and maybe I've made someone else's life better for my actions. Again I'm not saying that the disbelief makes someone unfriendly or unkind or evil, but if GOD is out there you are going to pay the price. I'm betting HE is. What do I have to lose?

This is the way I live, if you don't that's fine too. I am not here to judge anyone, I don't have that right and neither do you.

Thanks for listening...

Chris Marston

Old 04-22-2004, 09:01 PM   #20
Glenn Bartley
Quote:
Faith keeps some people going, is that wrong?
Well yes it can be quite bad when that faith is used as it often has been throughout history to persecute others who are not of that faith. Let's see, for a few current examples we can use the Muslim Extremists who have faith in Allah, and who believe that when they kill Christians or Jews they will go to a heavenly reward. Then we have regular Muslims and regular Hindus and regular Sikhs, and regular Christians all in India who regularly massacre one another in the name of their faith. They all believe
G(g)od is on their side as they hack each other to death. You remember those new items that appeared on the nightly news before they were overshadowed by the news of the war in Iraq. Then we just recently had the Taliban and their religious beliefs in Afghanistan, wherein they destroyed some fine treasures of the past, and also basically enslaved women, and executed those who were not of the faith - all in the name of their faith. Then closer to home we have the KKK which often proclaims its righteousness in the name of faith while this group routinely targets blacks, Catholics of all colors and Jews of all colors.

Further back in history we also have had the nazi party members, who had faith in Adolph Hitler. Maybe it was not faith in God but I think you may see the faith based analogy and the ruin to which it led. A bit further back into the past and we have the Salem Witch trials here in America based upon strict religious faith in god. There also was, close to that same time, many witch trials in Europe all based upon the right of the Christian faith. Go a bit further back and we can find the Italian and Spanish Inquisitions, all faith based moments that were just wonderful in their effect on the world. There were also the Crusades, another faith based movement whereby one group rode off under God's banner to kill another group under the banner of their own god.

Today we pray for our soldiers. We pray that God protects them and helps them in battle. This is ludicrous if you want to say that faith does not do wrong. Do you, or anyone else, really believe that God is on our side in this war? I am pretty sure many American believe this, as many over on the other side believe god is on their side.

There is also plenty of intolerance within religion - and my guess is that this leads to much of the evils above. Just the bickering among all the different sects of Christianity is enough proof of that. There is also plenty of evil, as in the examples above, that has been bred by faith and belief in G(g)od. To deny this makes no sense, these are incontrovertible facts; that is unless of course you think those things were good.

Now all of this may actually be G(g)ods will, if there is a god. Well if this is G(g)ods will, then you can have him, or is it her, or is it them, all for yourself and I will remain a heathen by the free will that some believe G(g)od granted to me.

Now don't get me wrong, I am not sure if there is a G(g)od or not. maybe I will never decide; but I am certain of what I said above about religion breeding evil. Remember G(g)od is not religion, religion is man's attempt at reckoning with alleged his creator; being created by man it sure as hell can be evil. Then again, if G(g)od created everything, did he not also create evil?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!