Bad Guy JMG Reptiles not so good.. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:11 AM   #1
CJReptiles
JMG Reptiles not so good..

So the story is that without me knowing as a surprise, My son bought me a red phase female Western Hog at the Daytona show. He bought it from JMG Reptiles for $180.00. (they were asking 200) He showed it to me on the car ride home and the snakes tail was swollen like a turnip. I emailed the owner on Monday morning but did not hear back for a few days.. He admitted that he knew it was like this and sold it anyway without disclosing the health issues. He did offer a replacement snake if I pay shipping both ways which would be around $120.00.(That would put the snake around $300.00!)I think what he did was dishonest and he should pay all shipping.. Am I out of line here?

Old 08-25-2012, 11:12 AM   #2
CJReptiles
here is the first email

Hay buddy, My 13yo son bought a female western hog from you Saturday at the Daytona show for 180.00. Her tail south of the vent is swollen up like a turnip... I can send pictures just let me know..

Chris Ivins

Old 08-25-2012, 11:13 AM   #3
CJReptiles
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 12:03:34 -0700
To: <cjreptiles@comcast.net>
Subject: RE: Daytona

Hi Chris,
a lot of adult female hognose have that, they get swollen musk glands from musk building up in their scent glands. If you go to any hognose forum and post it everyone will tell you the same thing. If you get them to musk a lot the swollen appearance will greatly reduce but since their musk glands are stretched out they fill right back up. It does not affect their health or breeding.

Jeff Galewood

JMG Reptile
7542 Olde 8 Rd
Hudson, OH 44236

Old 08-25-2012, 11:13 AM   #4
CJReptiles
-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Daytona
Date: Wed, August 22, 2012 2:11 pm
To: jeff@jmgreptile.com

Do you know of any solutions? That's allot of money for a sick snake..

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

Old 08-25-2012, 11:14 AM   #5
CJReptiles
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 12:38:17 -0700

The snake isn't sick, I would say about 25% - 40% of all female hognose end up with enlarged scent glands as adults. It does not cause any health problems. If you don't believe me ask any large hognose breeder or post it on a hogose forum. If you want a refund we can do that but we can't pay for the shipping, we could also send you another adult female hognose if you send her back but can't pay shipping on sending a new one or receiving her. I have three more adult females I am selling, two of the three have enlarged musk glands the one isn't very noticeable.

Jeff Galewood

JMG Reptile
7542 Olde 8 Rd
Hudson, OH 44236

Old 08-25-2012, 11:14 AM   #6
CJReptiles
------- Original Message --------
Date: Wed, August 22, 2012 6:11 pm

I honestly don't know what to do here. Selling a snake in less than perfect condition and calling it not a big deal is not right. A 13yo paid 180bucks of his hard earned money for a snake and I don't feel that he got what he paid for. I wish I was with him when he picked it out. Should he chalk it up to a lesson learned? Now to fix it he has to put in another 100 plus dollars for shipping.. I will talk with him tonight.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:15 AM   #7
CJReptiles
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 17:01:47 -0700

The only thing wrong with the snake is that it's tail is not aesthetically pleasing. You seem to be ignoring what I am telling you about the snake. In my first e-mail I told you it was enlarged musk glands and is common in adult females for this species of snake and you reply back and say the snake is sick.

Jeff Galewood

JMG Reptile
7542 Olde 8 Rd
Hudson, OH 44236

Old 08-25-2012, 11:15 AM   #8
CJReptiles
-------- Original Message --------
Date: Thu, August 23, 2012 5:50 am

I have Googled it and have found only one post on it. You don't seen to understand what you did is unethical, selling the snakes when you knew they had issues(whatever they may be) without any disclosure to the customer. (A 13yo mind you) And at full retail price might I ad.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:16 AM   #9
CJReptiles
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 10:17:45 -0700

It's not an issue. Please post it on a hognose forum, you will get a lot of reponses stating it is common or e-mail some large hognose breeders on the topic. I can trade it out for another female if you are going to be at any expos or shows we will be at. We won't be at any more Florida shows for the year though.

Jeff Galewood

JMG Reptile
7542 Olde 8 Rd
Hudson, OH 44236

Old 08-25-2012, 11:20 AM   #10
CJReptiles

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!