Crazy BP acting weird... advice? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 07-26-2007, 03:03 PM   #1
filez41
Question Crazy BP acting weird... advice?

I have a one year old 400 gram ball python. He went off feed about a month ago for no apparent reason, and has been desperately trying to get out of his rack. Once taken out and handled for a while, he doesn't calm down when put back in his cage like usual.

He was eating f/t mice, and when we tried to convert to rats he ate one rat and then has ignored almost anything since then.

He is in a 41qt rack, with hot side of about 88 and a cool side that ranges from 79-81 at night and 82-84 during the day. His humidity has been high, since it's summer, staying between 60 and 70.
He has two hides, one on each side of the cage, and a large water bowl.
There are three other snakes in his rack, all of them have been eating like it's their job and they have the same stats. The three snakes in the rack next to his haven't been having any problems either.

Any ideas? Is this something I should be worried about?

Old 07-26-2007, 11:17 PM   #2
RJK890
Novice giving advice:)

Hey,
I have mostly worked with Burms but have kept several Bp's over the years. Some may not believe me but I have never had a problem feeder and only two have ever gone "off feed" for the winter. Other than that they kept up with my Burms...lol.
However, it seems to me a 41qt. may be a bit large for a 400g BP. Try putting it in a 6-12qt for a little while and then offering food. You can also put it into a brown bag and leave it over night. Not with Live prey!, and I wouldn't leave it more than 8-9hrs. You may have to try changing different things such as the time you offer food, prey offered(mice, small rats, live, PK or f/t. Even gerbils but I would try to avoid that.)
Well, thats just my two cents based on limited experience and research. I am sure some of the more knowledgable keepers will come along and help you out. I don't recall if you mentioned it or not but is it a WC, CH, CBB, just wondering.
Anyway, Good luck with it,
Rob

Old 07-26-2007, 11:20 PM   #3
filez41
Thanks! That's a definite possibility, I'll give that a shot. I didn't think of that because I have a smaller girl in the same rack and she's eating great, but that could definitely be it.

He's from NERD, I believe he's CBB.

Old 07-27-2007, 02:52 AM   #4
armchairangel
I'm a novice as well, but most people can tell you that bps are notorious for going off feed. This is more common in ones that are wild caught. They can be off food for months without issues. I know someone who has a wild caught bp who will only eat 5 or 6 gerbils the entire year.

However, it will be important to monitor his weight. If he loses a significant amount while off food, that can indicate a problem and should be checked out.

It does sound like he could be cruising for food. Keep offering him food in different ways and you may get lucky. Good luck!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!