Any one else slurrying their geckos, ADVICE NEEDED - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-08-2005, 02:24 AM   #1
yellowconda12
Any one else slurrying their geckos, ADVICE NEEDED

So I have been trying to wait out the female blizzards impactation situation. I got her an enema from the vet and have been trying to feed her slurry mix. I used about fifteen mealies, 10 waxworms, 1 jar turkey baby food, the right amount of pedialyte (artificial orange flavor) no ensure, some leaopard gecko vitamin powder and about a third of a can of hills dog food. I have been dripping it on her nose and letting her lick it off,... when she does. She has the tendency to as soonas the drop is on her nose, side of her face or chin, is to shake her head violently and rub her nose into the ground, then lick it off along with the "completly digestable" coconut fiber substrate. I am about to force feed her cause I am afraid she will get to sick to rebound inbetween now and th e time her vet appointment has been scheduled. Any other tips about the slurry would be appreciated serve it warm? is dog food not the right kind of hills food?
I am going in on the fourteenth to see vet again for enema and shot of vitamins,.. Any advice would be awesome. also I know it is not looked upon as a good thing to do but, I am needing force feeding advise, if anyone has pictures of force feeding slurry or picturesx of force feeding in gen, please post

Old 03-08-2005, 05:55 AM   #2
SableLynx
Are you sure it has come to the point that force feeding in needed? It can be much more stressful on the animal then the actual impaction itself. Have you had the gecko to the Vet? What have you tried to relieve the impaction?

Marcia from GoldenGateGeckos has an excellent slurry recipe

As far as force feeding goes what I did when I wormed my geckos was to load up the dropper, then I gently prodded the bottom lip until they opened their mouth, as I was using the dropper to prod with it was easy enough to slip it on into the mouth then slowly administer the panacur, which in your case would be the slurry

Old 03-08-2005, 06:53 AM   #3
yellowconda12
I have taken her to the vet,

she went to the vet about three weeks ago (x-ray, enema,) she had not eaten anything for almost a month then, now its almost another month. She is starting to not look good, tail is thin, no ribs showing yet, and clear eyes when she opens them, but no luck with the slurry. thank you for the advice.

Old 03-08-2005, 07:23 AM   #4
SableLynx
That is really sad. I hope she gets better soon. I hope that you are able to get her eating soon. Mine were pretty stubborn on opening up at first but I just kept gently prodding at finally they did open their mouth. I hope it works for you. My dropper has a rounded edge so i knew I was not going to cut them so I placed it on the bottom lip(?) and just pushed slightly inward and downward at the same time. Hope that makes sense.

Old 03-08-2005, 07:26 AM   #5
SableLynx
Hey do you have the book on Understanding reptile parisites? that shows how to force feed medication. That would probably work. otherwise maybe you could go back to the vet and have them demonstrate force feeding for you.

Old 03-08-2005, 09:07 AM   #6
robin d.
first off any sick leo should be take off any substrate until they are well and placed on paper towels. have you trie hand feeding her with tongs or tweezers? she soundss very weak, if you say she is not openting her eyes very much... either that or in pain. i would call your vet to see if you can get in sooner. he needs to get that impacton out asap. waiting to the 14 i feel may be too late.... if it comes to true force feeding you need the right tools.... a syringe,tubing ect. you have to get the tube down the esophogus past the glotis but if you do not get her to a vet soon it may be too little too late. she sounds like she is going downhill fast

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!