Tribal Reptile - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 04-30-2004, 05:12 PM   #1
Migga069
Thumbs down Tribal Reptile

hey hows it going everyone.. i bought a 800 gram female from tribal reptile awhile back and she was advertised as an odd looking female.. so i clicked the link on kingsnake and read the description etc and click the pic. looked like an axanthic female. she was black silver with white outlines.. beautiful. so i call tribal reptile 3 times about the snake asking if she looks just like the pic and if she is black white silver etc. the kid chriss tells me ya dude for the most part she is but a little dirty looking.. i asked if she was an axanthic and he said i dont know man i dont deal with ball pythons shes just a beautiful snake. etc so i asked again is she black white silver he says yes.. so i decide to purchase the snake pull out the card and buy her. well when i recive her i received a very normal looking ball python. i fought with them for 2 months never getting a reply or anything solved finally the owner e-mails me to tell me his employee never told me anything like that etc. and they will not refund my money.. and to top it all off she is the snake from hell she bites at anything and everything including me. i attached a file of the pic of her. if it doesnt work let me know ( this is my first post ) anyways has anyone else delt with them ?
Attached Images

Old 04-30-2004, 05:45 PM   #2
SPJ
I can only see half the picture but if the snake in this pic is the one you got from Tribal, then you did not get a normal. That animal has different coloring than a normal BP. Sounds to me like you are unhappy because the snake is aggressive and not because it was misrepresented.

Old 04-30-2004, 05:52 PM   #3
The BoidSmith
We can only see half of the picture. How much did you pay for this female? Was she sold as CB, CH, or WC? Is she eating?

Thanks.

Old 04-30-2004, 06:13 PM   #4
Migga069
that is the pic they had on the add.. and the pic they sent me.. i recevied a total normal looking female she was supposed to be CB and feeding on f/t. she only eats live and your right i am mad she is agressive.. but im more pissed that its not the snake i bought. i thought i bought the snake in this pic.. but boy was i wrong. i would not have paid 300 bucks for a normal female with an attitude. i got ripped off totally.
here is the pic again hope it works.. this is what i was sent and what was advertised. this is not a pic that i took. this is straight from tribal reptile.
Attached Images

Old 04-30-2004, 07:04 PM   #5
The BoidSmith
Mike,

Do you have a picture of the snake you received then? Do you have the e-mail exchange with them? Have you notified them that you initiated this thread so they can post their side of the story?

Regards.

Old 04-30-2004, 07:50 PM   #6
JJFOUTZ
Quote:
Originally posted by Migga069
she only eats live and your right i am mad she is agressive.
Quote:
Originally posted by Migga069
to top it all off she is the snake from hell she bites at anything and everything including me.
I don't think aggression in a snake is in any way deserving of a refund. I understand that you have other issues with the deal but this in my opinion should not be one of them.

Old 04-30-2004, 08:32 PM   #7
toadellen
Did you ask about her temperament? I always ask, doesn't mean I'll get a 100% honest answer, but I ask! Balls are generally docile, but what is life w/out the exception of the rule!!
The pic of the snake is one good looking snake!! I would be upset if the one I got didn't look as expected. Can you post a pic of the one you did get?
Hope it all works out.

Old 04-30-2004, 10:27 PM   #8
Python Dreams
I agree that temperment should not be one of your complaints, unless you clearly stated that as one of your needs and was agreed upon. As far as Tribal Reptiles goes, I have been to their store on a few occasions when I was interested in purchasing a striped female Jungle Carpet Python. Their store was immaculate! I saw nothing but clean cages and healthy animals. She was a beautiful snake and I was assured she was a pure Jungle Carpet (even though I knew in my head that she probably wasnt, but I bought her anyway). Later I emailed a pic of her to VPI (I think) and they pretty much told me she did not look pure Jungle Carpet (no problem because I pretty much figured it anyway). Raised her for about a year, maybe a year and a half and even though she was not near breeding size, I wanted to introduce her to one of my males. So they both went into their favorite 6 foot deco tree and I witnessed a very cool case of male combat. A weird little dance where they would go up as high as they could and then my female/male (was smaller) would get slammed down (not really hard with the leaves cushioning her/him). So then she pretty much turned to a he, so I emailed them without any response back. I really was not expecting anything since it had been so long, but would assume they would have responded. I guess my opinion is that they have very nice animals that are well kept and a very clean store (havent been their in a couple years), but if you want a particular sex, exact knowledge of parents or type, or in this instance even the animal in the photo, you might be better off giving someone else a try.
Tom Baker

Old 04-30-2004, 11:53 PM   #9
Spitfire
First let me start by saying I know nothing of tribal as I have had no firsthand experience with them. But the pic posted struck me as odd. It seems to have a blue hue to it, especially when looking at the background. I put the given pic through Photo Editor and simply turned down the blue on the pic and came up with this. Does this look like the snake you have? Notice the the more natural color of the woodgrain background now.

But as far as it's temperament, unless you specifically asked if it was a calm animal, there is no weight to your issue. And still even if it was calm for them and turned mean for you, it is hard to claim they are responsible as changes in husbandry and caging can bring on changes in temperament on occasion.

But whatever the case, if the customer is unhappy, isn't it just easier to take the snake back and refund the cost of the snake?
Whether Tribal is at fault or not, they should at least just take the snake back and refund the dough to settle any issues. Who loses there? No one in my opinion.

Old 05-01-2004, 12:05 AM   #10
odatria
This guy called Tribal and accused them of enhancing the color of the animal in the pic. And now, here he is claiming that they didnt send him the animal that is in the pic they supposedly enhanced. So which is it? Chris has not responded because he is at the bedside of his father who is in the hospital. When he gets the chance, you can bet that he will tell his side of the story. I happen to have seen the animal in question with my own eyes, and it looks EXACTLY like the picture!

I have known The guys at tribal for over 10 years and I can tell you without a doubt that they would NOT knowingly misrepresent an animal for ANY reason. Tribal Reptile Co. is the most imaculate reptile store you will ever see. I have personally witnessed the owner refuse to open the store if he finds feces in a cage!!! The cages at tribal are cleaned EVERY DAY. And Im not just speaking of a spot cleaning either. Every inch of glass is cleaned (inside and out), every water bowl is removed and cleaned/sanitized and replaced with fresh water. The walls of EVERY cage are completely scrubbed daily as well. You will NOT find a cleaner store. PERIOD!

As for the "kid named Chris" you talked to, he just turned 31 and has been store manager at Tribal Reptile since they opened nearly 10 years ago! He has worked in the reptile business since he was a young teenager, when he used to ride his bike to work for Creative Habitats as an aniomal caretaker. He is no rookie!

As for their business practices, I can speak from occasions that I have personally witnessed. I have seen the owner refuse to sell high end animals to potential customers who did not have the experience to keep them or the desire to listen to simple husbandry advise. This is because he sincerely cares about the animals and will not compromise the health of an animal to make a buck (or in one of the case above, $1,500!!!).

I have seen Chris spend two hours explaining in detail the proper husbandry of a green anole! Where in the world are you going to find service like that? I agree with Tom that if you want "very nice animals that are well kept and a very clean store" then you should definitely check out Tribal!

Tom, I am not familliar with your particular snake. But I can tell you that Tribals jungle carpet pythons came from Larry Black. Larry is known for having exceptional jungles. For someone to look at a picture of jungle and say it is not "Pure" without having the opportunity to count the scales or at the very least examine it in person is pure arrogance. And I dont know which is more surprising, the thought of Dave or Tracy responding as such, or the fact that you cannot remember if they did. Every herper I know has made mistakes in regards to sex. EVERY SINGLE ONE! But that does not mean that they did it intentionally.

I am looking forward to seeing the pics of the ball python that he claims they sent him. If it looks anything like the pic he sent Tribal(a blurry picture of a few inches of pattern) then it will be a waste of time. I challenge him to post a CLEAR picture of the ENTIRE animal. Then, and only then will anyone be able to see the truth.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!