getting " envenomated " can get you ........ - Page 21 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-17-2006, 07:39 PM   #201
Vinny D
Harald, Please beleve me. yes I WAS A STUPID IDIOT FOR WHAT I DID 110%. i will admit that all day if i have to, I understand that a permit will not make some 1 stick their hands in the cage, but it will make it harder for inexperienced people to go and buy one. Like i did.

Old 04-17-2006, 07:40 PM   #202
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny D
I know what it is like to almost die from a snake bite.I just dont want it to happen to others.
There it is...the caption on the poster, and a quote from Vinny himself.
The picture is of Vinny lying in the hospital bed. I can see it clear as day.

Old 04-17-2006, 07:43 PM   #203
hhmoore
Don't worry, Vinny. I'm done poking fun...until you throw out more ammo, lol.

But I mean what said about the legislative process. I've seen it at work, I've tried to influence it. but once it starts...

Old 04-17-2006, 07:44 PM   #204
Vinny D
You make a very good point that i over looked Rick, rember im only 20 and you guys have been doing this for many many many more years than me. im just trying to say it WILL be a good idea for a permit system. not only for you and me, but for everyone in the neighbor hoods where people own venomous snakes.

Old 04-17-2006, 07:45 PM   #205
crotalusadamanteus
Quote:
As far as how many people under the age of 18 have purchased a venomous snake since i have been here. All i know is ALOUT I NEVER see one vendor card someone at a show i have been too.
Than you target the vender. Period. And who cares if they don't like it. It is irresponsicble for them to sell to a minor just cuz they want the $$.
I say turn them in, and let them reap the rewards for the idiotic move they just pulled.

Rick

Old 04-17-2006, 07:47 PM   #206
Vinny D
Well im sorry for trying to make the keepers of venomous reptiles a little safer. by having all venomous reptiles on record. ok here is an example: some one gets tagged by their hot, his wife dosent know what kind of snake it is. he is screwed, but if his snakes were on some kind of record well than maybe his live will be saved. im not trying to argue with you guys. I respect everything you say.

Old 04-17-2006, 07:49 PM   #207
Vinny D
i know what you mean Rick. That is very true.

Old 04-17-2006, 07:52 PM   #208
Vinny D
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore
There it is...the caption on the poster, and a quote from Vinny himself.
The picture is of Vinny lying in the hospital bed. I can see it clear as day.

Actually it's not. it is the truth. Im not trying to be some poster boy really, but not only me this happens to many more people than just me.

Old 04-17-2006, 07:52 PM   #209
hhmoore
That is all well and good, but if he has more than one (and they are not all NA crotalids), then what? Do the rescuers guess at what bit him? Of course the assumption you are basing this on is that the guy is unconscious, or otherwise unable to identify the snake. Don't get me wrong, Vinny. I am not opposed to a reasonable permit/license system - I can't stress that enough.

What is your opinion on the procurement of antivenom? I'm sure you have considered that, since this is something you have discussed with a respected member of the herpetological community for quite some time now

Old 04-17-2006, 07:59 PM   #210
Scott Ashton
Quote:
Im pretty sure 6 people have been envenomated in the past 5 years, but only 2 in captivity including me.

As for how many hot's that were sold in PA i couldent tell you ALOUT. i go to just about every Hamburg show. and i see all kinds of species of hot's leaving the builging.

As far as how many people under the age of 18 have purchased a venomous snake since i have been here. All i know is ALOUT I NEVER see one vendor card someone at a show i have been too.

Im not trying to prove anything. I just think it is a good idea for a permit system in the state of PA, so that people cant just go buy a hot. thats all i was trying to say. this is not something i havent even started, but me and Brint and been talking about it for a while. And he is highly respeced in the world herpetology. I respect you guys and i have listened to alout of the great information i have received from you guys. I know what it is like to almost die from a snake bite.I just dont want it to happen to others.
So you haven't really done any concrete research - yet you are proclaiming the need for legislation in Pennsylvania?

Let's assume that your figures for envenomations in captivity are correct at 2. The U.S. Census bureau reports the population of Pennsylvania at 12,406,292 as of 2004. That would mean (according to your figures) that .00000161 % of the population of Pennsylvania were envenomated by a venomous reptile over the past 5 years.

So Vinny based upon the numbers, you should also champion legislation banning the following activities:

Odds of injury from fireworks: 19,556 to 1

Odds of injury from shaving: 6,585 to 1

Odds of injury from using a chain saw: 4,464 to 1

Odds of injury from mowing the lawn: 3,623 to 1

Odds of fatally slipping in bath or shower: 2,232 to 1

Odds of drowning in a bathtub: 685,000 to 1

Chance of dying from a car accident: 1 in 18,585 Better outlaw cars

Chance of dying from any kind of fall: 1 in 20,666 Ban stairs, ladders

Chance of dying from accidental drowning: 1 in 79,065 OMG - drain all lakes, pools and ponds

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!