?????pet Shop????? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-04-2006, 02:00 PM   #1
vinnybocknyg
?????pet Shop?????

i JUST PUT A DEPOSIT ON A BALL AT A NIEGHBORHOOD PET SHOP YESTERDAY.THE LADY IN THE STORE PROMISISES ME THAT ITS A CB SNAKE.THE MAIN REASON i BELIEVE HER IS THE SNAKE CANT BE MORE THAN 2 MONTHS OLD AND WHEN I HANDLED IT IT WAS ONLY IN A BALL FOR ABOUT 10 SECONDS AND THEN IT WAS VERY ACTIVE.I JUST WANTED SOMEONES OPINION WHATS THE ODDS THAT THIS IS A WILD CAUGHT SNAKE?????

Old 06-04-2006, 03:09 PM   #2
shrap
There is no way to tell for sure. Flip a coin.

Old 06-04-2006, 04:40 PM   #3
A_Kendergirl
Well, you could have a very good chance that it's CH/farmed. My guy Spot balled up only AFTER he was popped for sexing...and he was CH...my mistake was thinking he was CBB. There's a very long and involved story, but Spot was a very sick snake when I got him, and due to my inexperience I didn't recognise all the signs until I had him home. Not to say that'll happen to everyone, just be careful. The problems I had with Spot were heartbreaking...he was a very good tempered snake despite everything. I say was because he eventually died from all the problems he had, and couldn't have been more than a few months old.

Old 06-04-2006, 07:50 PM   #4
sschind
My guess would be captive hatched, imported, which is different from wild caught, but there probably is no way to know for sure. Depending on the shop, they could be buying CBB morph siblings for very reasonable prices. As far as the difference between them, I have found, personally, that the CH ones I have dealt with have done better for me than the CBB ones. If you have no moral objections to CH and the snake in question has fed in your presence then I see no reason why it should matter. In fact, even if I watched it come out of the egg I would still insist on seeing it feed.

Another thing to remember, to some people CB means captive bred and to others it means captive born. Technically, all farmed babies are CB, or CH. Many wholesalers will use the term CB for any farmed or ranched babies and use the term CBB to refer to animals bred in captivity

Old 06-04-2006, 10:32 PM   #5
connorrm
Why not suggest that they feed it before it leaves the shop to make sure it'll eat? Then at least it has a meal in it before you bring it home. I am assuming it will be at the shop for another week.

Old 06-04-2006, 10:50 PM   #6
Rebel Dragons
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnybocknyg
i JUST PUT A DEPOSIT ON A BALL AT A NIEGHBORHOOD PET SHOP YESTERDAY.THE LADY IN THE STORE PROMISISES ME THAT ITS A CB SNAKE.THE MAIN REASON i BELIEVE HER IS THE SNAKE CANT BE MORE THAN 2 MONTHS OLD AND WHEN I HANDLED IT IT WAS ONLY IN A BALL FOR ABOUT 10 SECONDS AND THEN IT WAS VERY ACTIVE.I JUST WANTED SOMEONES OPINION WHATS THE ODDS THAT THIS IS A WILD CAUGHT SNAKE?????
If you are indeed in Brooklyn, Ny I would be very careful about purchasing that snake. If I am not mistaken ball pythons are on the banned list for the 5 boroughs of NYC. It's against the law for the store to be selling them and it would be against the law for you to have it as well. I would hate for you to spend the money on the snake and then sometime down the road have it taken because someone reported you having it. Not to mention the fine you would be given which I hear is quite large.

Be careful and research your local laws before making that purchase.

Old 06-05-2006, 08:19 AM   #7
connorrm
Here is the banned list for NYC reptiles. Its brief but I feel it does the point. Hope ya'll find this helpful!

Here is the link:
http://www.wnyherp.org/reptile-laws/...animal-ban.php

Old 06-05-2006, 09:57 PM   #8
vinnybocknyg
1st off I did see the snake eat already. I just have this thing in my mind that Id hate for some shmo in a pet store to think they got over on me. Also I just moved to NJ and luckily pythons and boas are allowed here you have no idea what I had to go through in Brooklyn to get a real snake not to mention the price Idda paid....

I gotta change my location on my profile..................

Old 06-06-2006, 12:59 PM   #9
LadyOhh
You can't be sure if it's wild caught or not unless you see it hatch from where and when... But! To guarantee health, take it to the vet for a prelim check to make sure that it is healthy. Even if it is CH or CBB, it can and possibly will be a good healthy snake, depending on how you and they take care of it. Good luck!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!