Finally got a digital SLR - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 01-25-2007, 11:43 PM   #1
garweft
Finally got a digital SLR

So I finally got a piece of camera equipment made after 1980.

I am not exaggerating either, my original setup is built around Canon AE1 manual focus bodies and lenses.

A few years ago I picked up a digital point and shoot to play with. While I like a lot of the benefits of digital, I could not stand the loss of exposure control. So I finally gave in and picked up a Canon 20D and a 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 zoom. Now I just need to work on building up my lens collection for EOS bodies.

Old 01-26-2007, 12:42 AM   #2
Mooing Tricycle
Beautiful shot! Im looking at getting one of these in the neat future! they're so darn cool!
which camera did you end up going with? and whats the pricerange?

Old 01-26-2007, 01:29 AM   #3
garweft
I got a Canon 20D. It is a little older version, but can still be bought new. I got the camera body for $900 from beach camera through amazon.com.

Old 03-26-2007, 12:55 PM   #4
jsrocket
Nice shot, Matthew. After 40 years of shooting with film, I finally made the digital plunge. Here's one I took, after a recent ice storm.
Attached Images

Old 03-29-2007, 05:34 AM   #5
East_Coast
Digital SLR...

Sweet. Having a nice camera is part and parcel with herping, in my opinion...

- Peter Jolles

Old 03-29-2007, 09:49 PM   #6
jsrocket
Hey Pete, that is an awesome photo. I have often thought it would be so cool if someone came up with a morph, which kept those colors to adulthood!

I used a Canon Rebel X for years, and have several lenses.

Just bought a Kodak Z650 for a couple hundred, and it takes surprisingly good pics. Nice, big piece of low dispersion glass. My biggest gripe so far, is the crappy, little viewfinder. My eyes aint what they used to be, and it makes it annoyingly hard to compose a shot.

Old 03-30-2007, 12:19 AM   #7
garweft
Nice pics guys.

I recently got a 100mm macro for my Canon set up, so I'm ready for the herping season this year. It's nice to know that you have workable images in the can before you let your subject go. Unlike film where your not quite sure. I'll never dump my film set-up....I like B&W darkroom work just too much for that...but my digital SLR set up has taken it's place as my grab and go equipment.

If I was crazy I might have considered doing a few weddings again this year to help cover the cost of the new camera and lenses, but I think the horror that is a bridezilla is still too fresh in my mind.

Old 03-30-2007, 02:04 PM   #8
jsrocket
Quote:
Originally Posted by garweft
If I was crazy I might have considered doing a few weddings again this year to help cover the cost of the new camera and lenses, but I think the horror that is a bridezilla is still too fresh in my mind.
That's a good one, "Bridezilla". I have worked many weddings as a musician and photographer (not at the same time), and have experienced this also. A sweet little woman puts on a white dress, and is suddenly transformed into Genghis Khan.
Attached Images

Old 03-30-2007, 10:01 PM   #9
East_Coast
What happened to your rebel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrocket
Hey Pete, that is an awesome photo. I have often thought it would be so cool if someone came up with a morph, which kept those colors to adulthood!

I used a Canon Rebel X for years, and have several lenses.

Just bought a Kodak Z650 for a couple hundred, and it takes surprisingly good pics. Nice, big piece of low dispersion glass. My biggest gripe so far, is the crappy, little viewfinder. My eyes aint what they used to be, and it makes it annoyingly hard to compose a shot.
I guess the Rebek you are talking about was a film camera?

I just learned (yesterday) what the "F Stop" is and means in a camera! I have never adjusted it for any of my pictures. Gonna start taking some sa-weet pics once I figure out the best settings.

Actually, I am going to Southern Maryland to look for Kings, Milks, and Copperheads tomorrow AM with a friend. Maybe I will get my first opportunities at field photo's for 2007? I would even be happy with taking some pic's of some Black Widows if I happen upon one of those oily looking little bugs...

- Peter

Old 03-30-2007, 10:33 PM   #10
jsrocket
Quote:
Originally Posted by East_Coast
I guess the Rebek you are talking about was a film camera?
Yes, it was film. I wanted to buy a newer Canon digital body, so I could still use the lenses. After a little research, I found out they were too old to use on a digital body, so I scrapped that idea, and went with the Kodak.

You have a very good eye for photography. Good luck on your adventure tomorrow, and post some pics (unless you get skunked).

What the Hell, post some pics, even if you do.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!