Hatchling painted turtles, when to feed? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:55 AM   #1
snowgyre
Hatchling painted turtles, when to feed?

So, a few weeks ago a colleague of mine was monitoring a painted turtle nest by his house and watched as a striped skunk kit dug up the nest and ate half the clutch. Since the nest was ruined and the remaining eggs were beginning to dehydrate, he asked if I would like to incubate the rest of the eggs.

I did, and now I've got three healthy painted turtle babies. I've been trying to find information on hatchling care online and either I'm looking in the wrong places or the information is scarce.

My main question is should I begin offering food during the first week, or wait until the second week? I've bred lizards and snakes before but never turtles. I'm assuming the turtles live on their yolk reserves for the first week?

Also, what are some foods you recommend starting baby turtles on?

Right now I've got these guys living outside in a mesh covered sterilite container with about 3" of water, a sloped basking spot, and two large leaves (horseradish) for cover. I know they need UVB, and I have the mesh to keep cats and crows out.

Thanks for your help! I'll be keeping these guys throughout the winter and will release them next spring in the area where they hatched when they're a little bigger.
Attached Images

Old 08-14-2013, 06:24 AM   #2
allesuberschildkroten
I would suggest you start with blood worms, what I use for hatchlings as well as other breeders I know.
Care sheet for painted turtles http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Car...rn_painted.htm
I would go ahead and feed them the first week. Just put them in a separate container and give them the blood worms.

Old 08-14-2013, 06:26 AM   #3
allesuberschildkroten
Also if you have them outside, as long as they have direct sunlight, you dont need UVB

Old 08-14-2013, 11:08 AM   #4
snowgyre
Justin, thanks for the advice! I'll try and find some bloodworms today. I did purchase commercial pelleted turtle diet for them, but haven't attempted to feed them yet. I know they don't need additional UVB when they're in sunlight, but this winter I will have to buy a bulb for them.

The care sheet does not discuss the need for additional calcium, however. Do you supplement your turtles and if so, what do you use?

Thanks for your help!

Old 08-18-2013, 09:29 AM   #5
allesuberschildkroten
Yea sry I forgot its almost winter time!! I use this supplement http://www.carolinapetsupply.com/cat...roducts_id=261 it has everything you need!! Sry it took so long to respond. I also offer mine pellets with blood worms.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!