ut oh she laid some eggs - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
 Sponsors »  Breeders | Dealers |  Importers/Exporters | Caging | Feed | Supplies | Services | Events 
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Product Reviews |  Classifieds!   | Photo Gallery   | Banner Advertising 
 
  Do you want to be able to bump and highlight your classified ads? Click here!

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2004, 10:50 PM   #1
timboi
ut oh she laid some eggs

Ok well I just got a female like a month ago she is about 7 or 8 months old. So today I notice she goes into this moss hideout that shes never been in before, and earlier in the week I noticed she was fat and had some white circles in her tummy so I kinda guessed she was pregnant. So anyways I check the hideout and sure enough she had burried 2 eggs in there. A couple hours later I made a sorta homemade incubator with a cool whip container with some moist moss in it in a box on top of a heating pad with a thermometer and the temp is around 85 degrees. Is this good enough for the eggs to survive in ??? Im not going to spend the money on an incubator since its not really critical that the eggs really do survive to me. Ok so now shes losing weight wich I was expecting from reading, so another question of mine is whats the best way to fatten her back up? Also do I need to seperate them now (as in will he keep humping her and she keep spittin out eggs) b/c im pretty sure she will die if she gets pregnant again. Ok and how long does it usually take for the eggs to hatch?? And my last question (sorry for so many yes im very new to this ) What would I get from this pair the male is a very high yellow normal with about 50% carrot tail and the female is a very beautiful blizzard.

Thanks
Tim
 
Old 11-16-2004, 11:21 PM   #2
aliceinwl
Separate them! Because, leos store sperm, she'll probably keep laying fo awhile, but she will feel less stressed and it will be easier for her to maintain her weight if she's by herself. Sometimes separating the pair seems to reduce the number of clutches laid by the female (this is what you want).

I incubated my first eggs in a coolwhip container in the tank. The best incubation medium is perlite with 1 part perlite to .8 parts water. Perlite is available at most stores with a garden section. You can use a postage scale to get the wieghts right. Alternately, you can use vermiculite in a 1 to 1 ratio with water by weight. If you don't have a scale, get the vermiculite to feel moist, but not wet. If you squeeze a granule, water should come out. You want temps to be around 80 to hatch out girls and 90 to hatch out boys.

From this breeding you will get normal appearing leopard geckos that are het for blizzard.

Unless your female is ready to breed, you shouldn't house her with a male.

-Alice
 
Old 11-17-2004, 12:16 AM   #3
timboi
how long does it take the eggs to hatch and is peat moss ok to keep the eggs in ??
 
Old 11-17-2004, 01:24 AM   #4
gurnham4
depends on the temp. In the leopard gecko manual it states on pg 74

"anywhere between 36 days at 32.5 c (90.5 F) to 107 days at 24 c (75 F)"

if you keep it at the temp you have now (85F) you'll ahve about a 20% chance for a male and about 80% for male



here's a few good link to check out the hatching process

egg laying, checking to see if they are fertile and hatching
 
Old 11-17-2004, 12:41 PM   #5
progeckos
I wouldn’t keep the eggs on moss but perlite works great like Alice said. The moss molds very easy. Here is a link to some homemade incubators if you’re interested.
http://www.herpcam.com/incubator.htm

Also if you’re worried about her laying herself to death cool her down for a few days up to a week. This will stop her from producing more eggs. Then you can work on fattening her up. Superworms tend to add a lot of weight along with roaches. Make sure every food item is gutloaded prior to feeding as she needs all the nutrients she can get. You could also try a pinky mouse. Good luck!
 
Old 11-17-2004, 02:03 PM   #6
timboi
Thanks for all the info guys !! And whats the best way to cool her down?? She was looking really small yesterday but she has fattened up tremedously when I looked at her today.
 
Old 11-17-2004, 02:09 PM   #7
timboi
Oh and also I have them housed in a 100gallon tank on each of the ends there is about a 10inch part seperated by a 5 inch wall. IN one side I have it filled with moss in the other I have it filled with stones fake plants and water (not deep) She seems to like to go to the water and lay in it I guess to cool herself ??
 
Old 11-17-2004, 04:24 PM   #8
progeckos
Cool her down by lowering the temps a little. Make the temps in the upper 70’s for about a week and that should do the trick.

Usually when a leo is in water they are too hot. Check your temps and make sure it’s about 90 degrees.
 

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
leos laid eggs HELP!!!!! beccablaze Geckos Discussion Forum 3 06-07-2008 03:28 AM
Gopher snake escaped and laid eggs!!! thebrandonisgood Pituophis & Drymarchon Discussion Forum 5 06-11-2006 10:31 AM
Zena laid her eggs!!!!!! varnyard Skinks & Tegus Discussion Forum 18 05-12-2006 12:23 AM
She finally laid those eggs nydrgnldy Geckos Discussion Forum 11 05-24-2005 11:24 AM
Chunky Monkey laid eggs beakgeek Geckos Discussion Forum 1 05-09-2004 10:05 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:40 PM.







TESTING!
Fauna Top Sites


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Page generated in 0.03828597 seconds with 10 queries
Content copyrighted ©2002-2018, FaunaClassifieds, LLC