Dave Powell of Coluboids: Bad Guy! - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 01-13-2007, 11:02 AM   #21
Behmfamily
Gentlemen,

I understand your point. Let me give you some background, as I learned a lesson from AJ.

1. When I saw his ad for a pair of CB 2001 Loxocemus bicolor, I immediately checked the BOI. This was something that I'd never done before.

2. When I read this thread, I was immediately put on guard.

3. When I contacted Dave, I set up specific terms:

a. detailed pics
b. ship first by overnight carrier
c. detailed the way I wanted the animals packed
d. upon receipt, if animals were as advertised, I would immediately (15 minutes) pay by Western Union. If not, I would overnight back.

4. Had many emails back and forth with Dave. Communicated at each step in the process. Transaction went smoothly.

As to my post. I didn't say that I'd recommend him to anyone, I said that I would definitely do business with him again. The reason is that I controlled the process. At initial contact I could have taken two positions. One, I could have insisted that he clean up the issues on the BOI before I bought from him. Or, two, I could create a procedure that would make it nearly impossible for someone to AJ-me again. What I decided was that I wanted the Loxocemus, but I learned from all of you that there was a major risk. Hence, my new process. I'll risk the cost of an overnight return for the ability to avoid an AJ.

Now, I have no problem explaining to Dave both the importance of having a clean BOI and the power of the BOI if you're going to try and sell to this community. I made him jump over hurdles that were unnessary for someone who could have had a good standing.

People naturally trust each other, that's why we are suseptible to getting burned. I for one have been AJ'd out of this camp. My new process keeps people honest. Had I used this process with AJ, I would have only been out the cost of the first overnight return.

Mitch

Old 01-13-2007, 11:19 AM   #22
The BoidSmith
Quote:
I just completed a large transaction with Dave today. He sent me the animals, they arrived and were in perfect condition. I would definitely deal with him again and I'm very picky about who I deal with.
Mitch,

This person committed a federal offense by shipping snakes USPS in Fall 05'. Then did again exactly the same thing in the Fall of 06'. Please notice that I'm not even mentioning the issue of faulty shipping practices that cost the life of one of the snakes shipped in the second instance. Based on those facts it wouldn't matter if he had the "piece of the puzzle" that was needed to complete my breeding collection. My money would not be sent to support the activities of such an individual.

Regards.

Old 01-13-2007, 11:27 AM   #23
The BoidSmith
Mitch,

Hit the "post quick reply" tab too soon . Did he learn his lesson or did he ship you the loxocemus USPS also? Did he send you a tracking number?

Below is a thread where we discussed the issue in extense:

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...ive+snake+USPS

Regards,

Dan

Old 01-13-2007, 11:29 AM   #24
Behmfamily
Dan,

I didn't pick that up when I scanned the BOI a week ago. I will reread each post now.

Mitch

Old 01-13-2007, 11:39 AM   #25
The BoidSmith
Did he ship your Loxocemus USPS also? Any heat packs with them? I just want to know if he has at least learned from past experiences.

Thanks

Old 01-13-2007, 11:47 AM   #26
Behmfamily
Reread all the posts. I don't know Dan's history or experience. I recently received a shipment of expensive animals that were housed directly in the insulated box. I'm talking about no bag or container and this was from one of the most reputable breeders in the country. If Dan was an experienced keeper, this was unexcusable. Inexperienced keepers, like AJ, may be reducated, but its up to the community to decide if they are to be dealt with again.

As to the refund. I have already emailed Dave and suggested that he address all issues covered under the BOI. In addition, I gave him the name of Superior Enterprise of Canoga Park, here in California, for animal-specific shipping/packaging supplies.

In response to your question, I did receive a tracking number and the package was sent by UPS overnight 10:30am guaranteed. The packaging was not up to my standards, but was acceptable. The animals weren't cold on arrival.

Mitch

Old 01-13-2007, 11:51 AM   #27
Behmfamily
Further, two heat packs in an insulated container. Shipping cost him $81.

Mitch

Old 01-13-2007, 11:54 AM   #28
The BoidSmith
Quote:
I recently received a shipment of expensive animals that were housed directly in the insulated box. I'm talking about no bag or container and this was from one of the most reputable breeders in the country.
Are you saying this guy sent you more than one snake loose inside a Styrofoam insulated box?!

Old 01-13-2007, 11:58 AM   #29
The BoidSmith
Quote:
Further, two heat packs in an insulated container. Shipping cost him $81.
That's odd. FedEx is charging us $60 for a 4 lbs package sent priority overnight. Your loxocemus shouldn't weight that much. Is that much of a difference between UPS and FedEx.

Old 01-13-2007, 11:59 AM   #30
The BoidSmith
Should read:

Quote:
Is there that much of a difference between UPS and FedEx?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!