Anyone successfully bred GTP's? Need cage advice - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Arboreal Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-18-2015, 07:56 AM   #1
Big Borg Reptiles
Anyone successfully bred GTP's? Need cage advice

I have a couple green tree pythons, one being a 4 year old female, and was looking for some caging advice. I currently have them in makeshift enclosures that work fine as far as heat and humidity go but I want to invest in something nicer.

I looked into 4 or 5 different companies, and the Boaphile arboreal cages to me seemed like they would work the best. The biggest sales point to me is that you can connect a tube between two different cages so that a snake can travel between them. From what I've read they travel over to a neighboring tree to breed and then go back to their own in the wild, so it sounds about as close to a "natural" breeding environment as possible. To me this seems like it would be great rather than trying to move them around myself, but was looking for thoughts from people with more experience.

Old 08-19-2015, 05:02 PM   #2
yeloowtang
that sounds like a great plan and idea..
I make my own cages out of PVC when the price of meterials is good, otherwise i buy them from pros who build them..
i was actually going to make a trap door between my double cages for that purpose..

but keep in mind that they may not go back to their cage as you wish
when i breed my emerald tree boas, i get better success by transfering the male in the females cage, leave him there for a few days , then transfer back.. give him a few days off and then back again. doing this gets locks everytime, versus him staying there like many do..they lose interest.. so the idea is great but still be prepared to move them yourself if need be
if you notice that he stays in the other cage and no more action is going on, remove him for a few days and then open the access door again.. it will be like meeting a new girlfriend over and over again :-D tta and the female may switch sides too.. be fun to watch..

Old 08-19-2015, 08:05 PM   #3
Big Borg Reptiles
Thanks for the response, you bring up a good point that I didn't really consider though...with ball pythons I always do 3 days in, 4 days out; like you said, it's like introducing them to a new girl every time to stimulate breeding. After posting this I started contemplating building a custom cage using sterilite tubs, flexwatt tape, and removable pvc pipes. Then I could build a "breeding" tub with space for two pvc pipes, and just transfer the male over without having to try removing him from his perch.

Old 08-21-2015, 03:03 PM   #4
yeloowtang
for sure , when possible, if you can just take the perch out and put it back in the other cage
that would be perfect, less handling of the sankes in breeding mode..
I haven't had time to breed GTPs yet, concentrating on ETBs but if they are/act the same.
as we both mentionned, it's best to do the in and out.
I've noticed that they will lock the first night and then show no interest in breeding. by day 3-4 i remove him, try feeding if it's his week and the back he goes.. that slways gives me another lock.
the female swings her tail with interest all over the cage versus just coiled up and have no interest in the male. many leave the males in for months at the time during the breeding season, i've tried leaving him for longer and seems like the magic is gone after that first lock
I have a few PB males that i alternate with the females.. but not with all of them, because i keep certain males for specific females to make following the bloodline easier.
with hold backs, it's best if you know who the parents are

your caging sounds like a good plan and saves $$ at the same time..

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!