Rebecca Purdom - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 07-30-2006, 06:43 PM   #1
Richard Holyoak
Rebecca Purdom

Just wanted anyone who is thinking of dealing with Rebecca Purdom You can feel very confident in her and that she will do her absolute best for you and your snakes. I imported from Rich Z and was very happy. I have ordered more from her already.

Thanks again Rebecca

Richard Holyoak

Old 08-01-2006, 05:06 PM   #2
ChristinaM
We have inquired about Rebecca on the Canadian BOI ( see post here: http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...ad.php?t=84236 ) and now I see her on here as well.

Since she claims to have dealt with several US breeders, I would like to hear your input on her please. How was she to deal with, any problems or good things to say about her?

Several of the Canadian cornsnake breeders, have been wonderring about her due to her recent posts on both cornsnakes.com and reptilescanada.com . Just looking for honest opinions of her, as well as detailed accounts of any transactions with her, whether they be good or bad transactions.

TIA

Old 08-18-2006, 03:27 PM   #3
ChristinaM
I am bumping this one up, because I'd like to hear other opinions. On a message board, Rebecca has been misrepresenting her animals , not accrediting breeders and not being honest in that some of the snakes she offers are NON-FEEDERS from US Breeders.

I would like to hear from anyone else who has gotten snakes from her, or even just corresponded with her, as to how it all went. Positive/negative, indecisive, whatever your opinion is, we would like to hear it.

So far we've only heard from 1 person ( Richard) who has gotten anything from her, but since she's a "breeder/wholesaler" there has got to be others that have dealt with her out there.

Even people she has purchased from, we would like to hear how it went.

Thank you

Old 08-18-2006, 04:53 PM   #4
TripleMoonsExotic
I have dealt with Rebecca (she purchased animals from me) & she was very pleasant to deal with.

Quote:
On a message board, Rebecca has been misrepresenting her animals , not accrediting breeders and not being honest in that some of the snakes she offers are NON-FEEDERS from US Breeders.
You are not posting all of the FACTS.

Rebecca is reselling Rich Z's hatchling that he sells in bulk discount "out of the egg." This means, that when she receives them, they will not have been fed. They hatch, and they're shipped. They are not "NON-FEEDERS" as they hadn't even had the opportunity to feed yet! Rececca has made it very clear in numerous posts I've read (and in conversations privately via AIM) that she is getting them feeding before shipping them out to any buyers.

Personally, I have felt that the venom coming from other Canadian breeders is unnecessary. You all should be supporting eachother. Rebecca has imported thousands of dollars of cornsnake mutations into your country (from extremely good lines), mutations that are hard for Canadian individuals to get a hold of, and she is constantly ridiculed. She has amazing patience and a very thick skin, I would have spoken my mind weeks ago about the behavior.

Old 08-18-2006, 05:19 PM   #5
ChristinaM
Venom? There's no venom. We are just concerned that she is selling non-feeding hatchlings w/o informing people, as well as not clarifying the original breeder of the snakes.

Example: She bought some snakes from Joejr. Out of the 12, 5 were non-feeders, yet they are for sale with no mention of who they are from or that they are not eating. Add onto that, they were shipped Tues. for delivery on Wed. For sale by Thurs

All we are asking for is honesty, being upfront about the snake's history, etc.

She may have imported thousands of $ worth, but so have a LOT of other breeders. We do support each other, even if that means calling out ones that are not being truthful. There's a few of us who are striving hard to improve the Canadian market, not only with the genetical wonders of cornsnakes, but integrity of the hobby.

We appreciate any input on how your personal transactions are I'm glad to hear that she is a wonderful customer.

Old 08-19-2006, 02:49 AM   #6
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristinaM
Venom? There's no venom. We are just concerned that she is selling non-feeding hatchlings w/o informing people, as well as not clarifying the original breeder of the snakes.

Example: She bought some snakes from Joejr. Out of the 12, 5 were non-feeders, yet they are for sale with no mention of who they are from or that they are not eating. Add onto that, they were shipped Tues. for delivery on Wed. For sale by Thurs

She may have imported thousands of $ worth, but so have a LOT of other breeders. We do support each other, even if that means calling out ones that are not being truthful. There's a few of us who are striving hard to improve the Canadian market, not only with the genetical wonders of cornsnakes, but integrity of the hobby.

We appreciate any input on how your personal transactions are I'm glad to hear that she is a wonderful customer.
The BOI serves as a permanent record.

A few questions.

I haven’t read any of her ads but since you brought the information to the BOI, you need to add a little more information. You state

Quote:
How do you know that she is selling the snakes from this order? How do you know that five are not feeding? If they are for sale with no mention from which breeder they are from, how do you know it is the same group? Since when is it mandatory that a wholesaler state where she received her animals from in an ad?
As a customer the information would be something that I would want to know. I would ask but I wouldn’t accuse the seller of being dishonest. Sounds a little ridiculous!

Quote:
I should hope that she is feeding the one's she got from Rich's out of the egg sale, before selling them to people. Most, if not all, reputable breeders will make sure the snake has eaten 3 meals before shipping them unless otherwise specified. Is she charging you to feed them?
Well, how do you know she’s not feeding them?

For someone who is just posting an inquiry, you sure do seem to spout out a lot information as it were facts.
This is the thread you started on the Canadian board.

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...ad.php?t=84236

When the response you received was positive, You still keep trying to dig for something bad.
So, What’s your concern? Did someone have a bad experience?

And who the hell is the “WE” you keep speaking of? Are you the spokeswoman for all of Canada?

Quote:
So far we've only heard from 1 person ( Richard) who has gotten anything from her, but since she's a "breeder/wholesaler" there has got to be others that have dealt with her out there.

So let me get this straight. She’s is a newbie. She’s just starting out and she is informing people (obviously because all you have the information) that she purchased the “out of the egg” sale Rich was having. How is this being dishonest? All I see is someone hitting a newcomer over the head for being NEW.

The information on the BOI is a permanent record. You need to supply evidence that she is misrepresenting animals. You need to post the proof that she has been selling non-feeders as feeders.

Prove your case, Please!

Old 08-19-2006, 03:18 AM   #7
Dennis Hultman
The customer that has come forward has stated that she is holding animals and feeding them.

You seem to be making a big deal at of the fact that you can only find
one customer for her.

Well, if that is the only customer she has had, So what! He gave a good
recommendation.

Could you show me the customer she sold non-feeders as feeding?

Post from the other thread. Bolding by yours truly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Holyoak
Just wanted anyone who is thinking of dealing with Rebecca Purdom You can feel very confident in her and that she will do her absolute best for you and your snakes. I imported from Rich Z through her and was very happy. I have ordered more from her already. She is feeding the babies from Rich for a couple weeks.
Thanks again Rebecca

Richard Holyoak
After he posted his positive experience, You posted this smart ass remark.

Quote:
Is she charging you to feed them?
His response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Holyoak
I bought 2 from Rich that she picked up and trans shipped to me. I felt very confident as she worried a bunch as to their well being and if this would work out for me.

She is keeping my babies for a while to see they are eating well as you would expect of any reputable breeder or shipper.

I can see the reasoning behind your concerns but we all have to trust our gut.

So far mine has been right.

Have a nice day.
Richard Holyoak
The buyer stated she told him where the snakes came from. The buyer stated that she was holding them to make sure they feed.
Who has had a negative experience?

Old 08-19-2006, 06:33 AM   #8
Dennis Hultman
OK, I made it over to cornsnake.com and read a couple of threads.

First thread-
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/sho...9&page=1&pp=10

She posted what she just got in from Rich and the Canadian Welcome Wagon really welcomed her with open arms. I tell you what, you would think it was a no-brainer but since all of you put in your two cents that the snakes might not be what they are, Why don’t you just ask Rich? After all, it is his site.
You would have to be one stupid scammer to try and rip someone off by claiming the animals you have are something different on the very site of the person who bred them.

Second Thread-
She posted a list of available stock from Rich. She stated that she would make sure they were feeding before she sold them.
Later in the same thread she posted a current available list and didn’t mention who she received the snakes from. Because there was more snakes on the “available list” (not a list of snakes from Rich) that she posted earlier, everyone assumed she was being dishonest and claiming all the snakes were from Rich.

She explained that she was told by a moderator to post her availability on the same thread.
She didn’t clarify that the updated availability list was just that an “availability list” not a list of snakes just from Rich. She clarified the misunderstanding afterwards. Unless of course, someone has proof that she was really trying to imply that her total availability list was from Rich.

Again, you would have to be the stupidest scammer to try and pull something off like that on the breeders on site.

Granted, She is inexperienced and has made some mistakes.
So again, Why the inquiry? You said you wouldn’t be buying any of these “babies” from her.

Quote:
I'm just very corncerned about these babies. You seem in a hurry to move them, after they just got there from a nice stressful plane ride. I'm not sure it's worth taking a chance investing in them, after they have gone through 2 stressful events and potentially have not eaten.

So tell “us” again why you have you posted this in more than one location on Fauna with no intention of doing business with her.

Back to this statement-

Quote:

In the second thread she noted the corns on her “availability list” were from Joejr. Christina, I thought she wasn’t telling people whom she received her snakes from?

Anyway, her response to Joejr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgr8dnlvr
You know what? I am very sorry about this. As people have pointed out mistakes before, this one has been pointed out to me. I have been stretching myself a little thin of late and definitely jumped the gun on this posting. I definitely would not have RELEASED any of the snakes that I have purchased from you to people I don't know very well. I think what I need to do is again, go over my inventory and remove the new snakes from the list. This way I can be sure that accidents <ie miscommunications> are not going to happen. Rest assured I am very clear on the fact that a number of your snakes didn't eat yet, and I don't actually have that 12 snake that YOU sent me listed. There are two other snows that I already had on there.

Again, I think that it seems people on here want me to list EXACTLY where each snake came from. To this I shrug and say "no problem" ! I can definitely do that in the future! For this reason I will delete the current list of available babies.

I thank you for your great service, your labeling of the babies is FANTASTIC and I hope someday we have the opportunity to deal again!

I'm sorry for the mistake,
Talk to you soon,
Rebeccca
His response

Quote:
Not a problem, Rebecca. I just wanted to make sure that you weren't selling those non-feeders as feeding snakes with my name attached to them.

Glad you liked the babies. Hope the ride josted some sense into those non-feeders.

Hmmm, Obviously it was cleared up for Joe. Why do you Christina post this afterwards?

Quote:
It’s obvious that she has had a lack of understanding of the importance of breeder information to individual collections. It is just as obvious that she wasn’t attempting to scam someone. Most resellers/wholesalers list animals available and do not list each breeder for every animal. They usually don't sell to people that care.
They post an “available list” as she did.

In these cases it is important for a potential buyer to request the information. If the information is important to ones collection.

If the information is unavailable, or they don't want to divulge their supplier for whatever reason. It doesn't make them dishonest, just someone you wouldn't be interested in doing business with.

Old 08-19-2006, 07:29 AM   #9
TripleMoonsExotic
I think Dennis covered everything fabulously. But, I wanted to reply anyway.

Quote:

From the moment Rebecca posted about those cornsnake hatchlings from Rich, she has been up against nothing but conflict.

As for selling hatchling she did not produce & not disclosing the information. Guess what? That really isn't any of your business. You're LUCKY she's willing & able to disclose that information to you. Their are a lot more individuals purchasing in bulk lots and reselling then you know. In fact, most wholesalers do NOT want their information disclosed to the consumer. I'm working with a wholesaler right now [not with animals, but products], and I'm legally bound in a contract to NOT disclose who my wholesaler is.

Here's a crash course in sales....

Manufacturers/Breeders
Wholesalers/Distributors
Retail Business
Consumers

Quote:
She has repeated herself many, many times that she is holding all shipments until the purchased snakes have fed consistantly. Their is absolutly nothing wrong with her posting an availability ad.

Guess what I do? As soon as my cornsnakes hatch, they go up on my website for individuals who want to have first shot at what I produce. A deposit is then placed & no shipments are made until they have shed & fed at least twice. If the hatchling they want does not become available, they get a refund of their deposit or credit toward another hatchling of choice.

Quote:
Then PROVE that you support each other. Make SUGGESTIONS not ACCUSATIONS.

Old 08-19-2006, 08:36 AM   #10
ChristinaM
Valid points everyone, unfortunately I am time limited but I will respond to what I can:

- I never said that I wouldn't do business with her. I stated I was concerned on the snakes health. My comments: "I'm not sure it's worth taking a chance investing in them, after they have gone through 2 stressful events and potentially have not eaten."

- "As for selling hatchling she did not produce & not disclosing the information. Guess what? That really isn't any of your business"

Actually it is. She, at first was posting the snakes as Serpenco stock, when they were not Serpenco stock ( that is the main reason that it is anyone's business). Second, as a breeder, the origin of the snake does indeed play a part in my breeding plans. Example: a good chunk of Canadian corn stock comes from one breeder. We ( and by we I mean several breeders) are trying to increase the availability of other bloodlines to avoid repeated inbreeding which some have come to believe does indeed play a part in poor hatchlings, death, deformities, etc.

Now she did correct that, which is appreciated and show's that it was a sincere mistake.

- "Hmmm, Obviously it was cleared up for Joe. Why do you Christina post this afterwards?"

I, obviously, had posted before she had posted to clear up this matter, and have not had the chance to read it. I had posted my post, before she said anything in response. Maybe I should have waited, I'm more than willing to admit it when I am wrong. Don't like it, but I will do it

- "After he posted his positive experience, You posted this smart ass remark."

Said remark is not a smart assed remark. She has said via pm's that she will charge you after 3 feedings. So I inquired if she was charging him to feed them. No sarcasm intended whatsoever, it was a question.

- "Then PROVE that you support each other. Make SUGGESTIONS not ACCUSATIONS."

Indeed. I agree on that. But when accusations are based on facts, what can you do? When she was originally asked in pm's if she was feeding the snakes before selling them ( referring to Rich's snakes) she had replied that she would if you wanted her to. What about the ones that don't think to ask and just assume like everyone else, she sells the snakes after a minimum of 3 feedings? I know it's their problem for not asking, but based on what 95% of other breeders do, it is a good assumption that they would have been fed unless otherwise stated.

- "It’s obvious that she has had a lack of understanding of the importance of breeder information to individual collections. It is just as obvious that she wasn’t attempting to scam someone. Most resellers/wholesalers list animals available and do not list each breeder for every animal. They usually don't sell to people that care.
They post an “available list” as she did."

The key issue was that was listing all these snakes as Serpenco stock when they weren't. I don't think she should have to list every breeder for them, just that she should not say that they are Serpenco stock when they aren't. Which she has corrected, and yet again, that is appreciated

- "You seem to be making a big deal at of the fact that you can only find
one customer for her.

Well, if that is the only customer she has had, So what! He gave a good
recommendation.

Could you show me the customer she sold non-feeders as feeding?"

That is what I am trying to find out. She states she has sold to numerous people, I am trying to get input from others. A variety of experiences with her.

- " And who the hell is the “WE” you keep speaking of? Are you the spokeswoman for all of Canada?"

Nope, I am not. I wouldn't want that position at all . My apologies as I generally use "We" in alot of different aspects. I know there are other breeders out there with the same concerns as well.

-"When the response you received was positive, You still keep trying to dig for something bad.
So, What’s your concern? Did someone have a bad experience?"

No, I am not trying to dig for something bad. I'm trying to dig for other experiences with her period. Good, bad, whatever. Just trying to find more people that have dealt with her. It is hard to base an opinion on only 1 person's feedback, which is why I posted on the American BOI, as I know she's dealt with several breeders. I did not ask for only people who have boughten from her, people who have had ANY interaction with her whatsoever.
Hence an inquiry. That's what BOI's are for if I'm not mistaken.

- " So let me get this straight. She’s is a newbie. She’s just starting out and she is informing people (obviously because all you have the information) that she purchased the “out of the egg” sale Rich was having. How is this being dishonest? All I see is someone hitting a newcomer over the head for being NEW."

That is not my intent whatsoever. I am in no position to " hit a newcomer over the head for being new." as I am not as experienced as alot of people but not exactly new either.She did not tell people that the available snakes were from out of the egg, UNTILL she was asked about it. Maybe I am mistaken by thinking that it should have been listed as such in the beginning? If so, my sincere apology.

She states she's a newbie, but she states she is a breeder/wholesaler and has wholesaled and sold tons of snakes. ??? I'm confused.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!