What are your female breeding requirements? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-05-2012, 12:05 AM   #1
pythonpaintjobs
What are your female breeding requirements?

I know many breeders say grow them up slow and breed them when they hit 1500g (most in their 3rd year or longer). I have never power fed a snake, but I do OFFER my juvies about every 3-4 days. The frequency does go down to once a week after they're about 1500g. Many of my girls are 1500-1800 grams by their second year if they're June or July babies. Would YOU breed them at 18 months if they're in this range? Please put why you would or why you wouldn't. Thanks! Chris

Old 02-05-2012, 12:22 AM   #2
RobNJ
I am breeding an 1,800 gram cinnamon that's only 18 months old. She's healthy, strong, and chunky and can no doubt handle a clutch of eggs if she's sexually mature. She is, of course, the exception of my collection. The rest of my girls are in no hurry to get big. All are on the same once a week feeding schedule, the cinny just took off.

That aside, I'm not a big fan of the 1,500 gram rule. As a guideline it's fine, but as a rule it sucks. You can have a 1,200+/- gram female that's 3, 4, 5 years old, be nice and thick and perfectly capable of breeding with no worries. Then you can have a younger female at 1,600 grams who a) may not be sexually mature(no harm, no foul) or b) may be on the thin side and would really benefit from another year to bulk up, yet seeing her hit the "magic" 1,500, people would just throw a male in with her.

I really think age and body type/girth should be given as much consideration as weight.

Old 02-05-2012, 01:12 AM   #3
KY Reptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobNJ View Post
That aside, I'm not a big fan of the 1,500 gram rule. As a guideline it's fine, but as a rule it sucks. You can have a 1,200+/- gram female that's 3, 4, 5 years old, be nice and thick and perfectly capable of breeding with no worries. Then you can have a younger female at 1,600 grams who a) may not be sexually mature(no harm, no foul) or b) may be on the thin side and would really benefit from another year to bulk up, yet seeing her hit the "magic" 1,500, people would just throw a male in with her.

I really think age and body type/girth should be given as much consideration as weight.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:32 AM   #4
JHMills
I would breed them IF their growth had slowed down. If they are getting longer, staying thinner due to growth, and do not physically appear mature, I would not breed them at that age. I had a girl last year that was "breedable weight", but she wouldn't quit growing. I put her off till this season, and she now is a beast .

Old 02-05-2012, 02:55 PM   #5
stevek123
What is it about cinnys, I have a 1.0 hatched 7/12/2011 and he is 555 grams. The guy is just growing out of control. Females, I breed at 1400-1500 grams empty. not a gram less.
no powerfeeding, just once a week or every 10 days after a yr old. Yes they do have to look up to the task, being well rounded.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:45 PM   #6
R. Eventide
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobNJ View Post
I am breeding an 1,800 gram cinnamon that's only 18 months old. She's healthy, strong, and chunky and can no doubt handle a clutch of eggs if she's sexually mature. She is, of course, the exception of my collection. The rest of my girls are in no hurry to get big. All are on the same once a week feeding schedule, the cinny just took off.

My het Red Axanthic was 1500g at a year old (July 2010), so she would've been 18 months when breeding. She developed follicles, too, but I decided to wait. She still seemed to be growing and I didn't want to rush her. I'm breeding her this year, and she's 2700+ grams, so I'm glad I waited!

Then again, I have a 3-year-old het G-stripe who peaked just above 1500 grams this fall. I'd wait, but I don't think she's going to get much bigger.

So...yeah, as mentioned, it pretty much depends on the snake. Rules are good, but there are always exceptions.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:24 AM   #7
Zombie's Morphs
I agree, I think that age and size is pretty comon for a lot of breeders. Good luck with your pairings and may the odds Gods smile upon you!!

Old 02-07-2012, 01:25 AM   #8
Zombie's Morphs
Common*

Old 02-07-2012, 01:50 PM   #9
mechnut450
I do a minium3 of 3 years for my snakes if I had them since hatching. and a 1500+gram min weight. I also do a rule of thumbe that they must be in my collection at least a year and be over that weight too. I have a second rule for snakes as well once clutch they must be xxx grams above their past breeding weight to be allowedto breed again.
(example)
min was 1500 gram on 3rd year, year 4 they must be 1500 + xxx grams to be consider breedable again. if not they get the year off and will wait till the following year and if they still not above the set weight they don't breed.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:19 PM   #10
MrBig
I simply pay attention to each of my snakes. I have a 3 year old girl on the small side, but more then ready to go and I have a huge 18 month girl who is ready to go, with a bunch in between. I have a small collection so it's easier for me to pay individual attention to know which ones are ready and which ones aren't. As far as the year rule Terry stated, while I don't follow that per se, all snakes that come in are at minimum QTd for 3-6 months. So most times they will be here for almost a year before being bred. I wouldn't rule out buying a breeding pair and after an adjustment period breeding them while both in QT, if both were up to it. So while most use 1500 grams as the bible of weights, I use it as a guideline and pay attention to all factors of the snakes age, weight, girth, and maturity. Know your snakes and they will tell you what will work and what won't.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!