Best heat to use on Savi ? Help please. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-17-2013, 01:16 PM   #1
allreptiles1966
Best heat to use on Savi ? Help please.

I have a 250 heat new heat bulb in a 8-10" dome. but to get 140 i have to place
the bulb pretty close to the Savanna's rocks. Like 6-8" . Is this ok ?
His/her other bulb is an outdoor spot or flood and needs to be close too. But i think thats a 150.

He/she is thriving i believe. Growing and roaming in the pen.

Thank you

Old 03-18-2013, 12:35 PM   #2
chairman
The best way to produce the necessary hot spot is to use three (3) or more 45-60 watt flood lights placed in a triangular pattern.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:03 PM   #3
allreptiles1966
Why not 1 250 ? I have hot spots under every light. I just want my lights up higher then 1 foot to get the 130 i want.
I'll give it a try. But i cant see how 3 60 watt bulbs are going to let me raise my heat up another foot so its not so close to my Savanna.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:21 PM   #4
chairman
A single light creates a small, focused area of heat. A group of lights creates a basking spot that the lizard's entire body can be in (instead of just one small part of the lizard). In such a setup, the hottest portion of the basking spot will not be below a bulb, but in the middle of the three.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:41 PM   #5
allreptiles1966
Got it. He/she is all set. I put a 250 heat bulb and a 150 flood light and its doing good. Still closer then i like,but i raised it 4" and basking is at 130 ish. He/she is only about 14" at the moment and only in a 3x5 ish until about full grown. Then i will build him/her a 4-5 x 8.
I really want to give him a partner. I dont want to breed,but its hard to get used to them being mostly solitary. my beardies did awsome in 3 x 5 pens and thrived in groups of 5-6 females.. Added male to each group and they always did their jobs well. I could not believe how they did it. lol.
Thanks for the help. I will add a 3rd light when he/she gets bigger.

Old 03-20-2013, 02:28 PM   #6
chairman
If you want to add an additional monitor you'll need to do it soon as monitors have a habit of killing eachother if they don't bond at a young age. Even when they do bond they'll occasionally pick fights and wrestle around, occasionally causing damage to one another. I've seen videos from long-time keepers, the non-fatal monitor fights are actually fairly amusing. You'll also need to go bigger than 5x8, probably something more along the lines of 6wx12lx4h.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!