Michigan's Right to Farm - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum

Notices

Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum Survivalism, Livestock, Preparedness, Self Reliant Homesteading, Individual Liberty

Old 07-26-2014, 07:31 AM   #21
allreptiles1966
Well,I hope the little guys win.

That modified corn crap is too much. You can't even grow corn near those modified corn fields. There was a special on tv about that. The big ag people run around corn fields taking corn from the small guys fields to check and see if they were pollinated by their corn.

I DONT WANT MODIFIED FOODS!!

Old 07-27-2014, 01:17 PM   #22
Dennis Hultman
Michigan Dept of Ag
http://www.theorganicprepper.ca/mich...-eggs-07222014

Quote:

While Americans in the nearby city of Detroit face life in third world conditions, unable to even afford running water, the state of Michigan decided to direct its resources towards cracking down on a small food co-op in Standish for having the utter audacity to provide milk, butter, cream and eggs to people who bought shares in the organic dairy.

The Michigan Department of Agriculture must be so proud of their deeds, after they forced Joe and Brenda Golimbieski, the owners of Hill High Dairy and Jenny Samuelson, the owner of My Family Co-op, to dump out 248 gallons of milk, to break 100 dozen eggs, and to destroy an undisclosed amount of fresh cream, butter and cheese.

According to a post on the Hill High Dairy page on Facebook, the agents from the MDA stood over the family, watching as the food was destroyed.

100 dozen eggs… Each egg had to be broken. 248 gallons dumped in a sprayer that had to be witnessed by MDA being dumped and sprayed on the field.

Here are pictures of the destruction of this food from Hill High Dairy page – if you’re on Facebook, please go and give them a “like” to show your support.

hhd1

hhd2

hhd3

According to the owners of the dairy, the MDA threatened to arrest the co-op owner, Jenny Samuelson, for “selling food without a license.” However, the farm is a co-op, where people must buy shares. The MDA, however, said that the co-op contracts were invalid, and therefore, instead of being shared, the food was being sold. Because co-op members had paid for their shares, technically the MDA stole food that belonged not just to the Golimbieski family, but to every single member of that co-op.

One member wrote angrily:

This is such a shame! I paid for these products and this is what happened!!!! They are all criminals!!! Government stealing all our food! I paid just so that Jenny and the farmers didn’t have to carry the burden all on their own!!!! A crying shame. Shame on Michigans Department of Agriculture! Criminals everyone on u!!!!

Looking at the website and Facebook page, all I see are happy, well-treated animals, actually roaming around in fields. How is it that Michigan approves of the horrific conditions in its state’s factory farms, where animals are tortured, drugged, and crammed into cages for the entirety of their miserable lives, but raising animals humanely and naturally is considered “dangerous”?

What is wrong with the world when REAL farming is treated like a crime and fresh food is treated like the crystal meth?

I’ll tell you what’s wrong – big corporations do not want us to have options. They want a monopoly and they are working hard to destroy our other choices. Big Agri clearly has many good friends in the Michigan Department of Agriculture. Clearly the “Department of Agriculture” really means the “Department of Big Agri”. They aren’t there to support small farmers or people who wish to be self-sufficient. They are there to lock down the market for corporate farms. (Like Dean Foods, who also owns Horizon Organics – read more about the way this company does business - they own up to 90% of the corporate milk business in the state, according to an article on The Complete Patient )

David Gumpert, a raw milk advocate and owner of the site The Complete Patient wrote:

The government-sponsored dump of nearly $5,000 of milk, eggs, butter, and cream from Michigan’s My Family Co-Op yesterday carried a very clear and powerful political message to all Americans: We control your food and we don’t like you buying your food outside the corporate food system. Every now and then, we are going to remind you of what bad children you are being by taking your food and throwing it in the garbage. In fact, we are going to do more than remind you, we are going to completely humiliate you by preventing you from even feeding it to farm animals and instead forcing it to be disposed of in a landfill or dumpster…

…If you think I am exaggerating the intent of what is going on here, ask yourself this question: When was the last time you saw government agents seize and condemn food from a place like Foster Farms or Taco Bell or Del Monte or Kellogg’s or Trade Joe’s when their food has been found to contain pathogens, or made people sick? There’s been not even a suggestion that food at My Family Co-Op contained pathogens or made anyone sick. (Read the rest of Mr. Gumpert’s excellent essay on the subject)

The state of Michigan appears in the news again and again for infringing upon the liberty of its residents to choose what they wish to consume. Recently, they took away the “right to farm” from ordinary people, rescinding a law that had been on the books for years. Before that, Michigan’s Department of Natural Resources destroyed a farmer’s heritage pigs, calling them an “invasive species.”

This horrible visual of a farmer destroying fresh food while an “agent” stands over him to make certain that it’s inedible will stick with me. It’s like a scene from a movie, where the vanquishing enemy goes “scorched earth” on the denizens of the area they have conquered, ruining their crops, stealing their food stores, and most of all, making certain that they know they’ve been defeated.

Except it’s not a movie. It’s life in America. The barbarians are members of the government, and it is our own farms that are under siege.

Old 07-27-2014, 03:36 PM   #23
Dennis Hultman

Old 07-27-2014, 04:05 PM   #24
Lucille
"The MDA, however, said that the co-op contracts were invalid, and therefore, instead of being shared, the food was being sold."

I'm wondering if the dairy farmer was aware of that the contracts have been held invalid, or whether the MDA came up with it to justify their actions here?

In any case, I've read more 'Right to Farm' articles, and think that the farmers are caught between a rock and a hard place. If they do not have a 'right to farm' they are open to all sorts of legal actions from neighbors. But there is also the danger that having 'Right to Farm' is a Trojan horse, and a tool of Big Ag, preventing small farmers from asserting rights when Big Ag uses genetically altered crops or takes other actions that might harm small neighboring farms.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:36 PM   #25
WebSlave
Man, I'll tell you, the very next time this planet stops turning, I'm getting off.....

Old 07-28-2014, 02:38 AM   #26
Dennis Hultman
I don't know if I posted about this here or not but I have been following the saga with Mark Baker from Baker's Green Acres for years.

He is located in Michigan and been dealing with Michigan's Big Ag and DNR for years.

Let me give you a short summary from memory.

Short and to the point,

Out of the blue Michigan's DNR came out with declaratory ruling a few years ago claiming his livestock is illegal. He didn't comply with destroying his animals on demand and won his right to keep a breed them for now.

Longer version.

Michigan's DNR came out with a declaration that all pigs exhibiting certain characteristics or considered feral and a invasive species and immediately outlawed.

Some problems. A feral animal is a animal that is not under the husbandry of humans. His pigs are. They are fenced, breed, feed and controlled.

Second, the characteristics they applied cover all species. Such as the pig may have a straight tail or curly tail. There was no rhyme or reason.

Third, they ordered destruction of his animals and tried to deny his day in court multiple times and tried to impose unreasonable fines for him seeking his day in court.

So Michigan's DNR set out and forced all the small independent farmers who breed the same type of heritage breed pigs to kill their animals. All but Mark Baker complied.

For seeking His day in court Mike was given a fine of somewhere around 750,000 dollars.

He counter-sued, After years of them trying to squirm there way out of this and destroying his business, putting a hold on all animal sales, Trying to extort funds if he didn't comply, they simply told the judge that he is now in compliance and can keep his animals.

He changed nothing, didn't kill his animals, didn't clarify anything different. The Judge dismissed the whole case. Mark didn't get any restitution for his business being destroyed.

Another Judge has now declared this "Declaration" from the Michigan DNR as illegal and unconstitutional.

They are going to rewrite it and they have the support of Big Ag. Why? To put the small farmers who have their animals out on pasture out of business.

Anything that could be targeted against small farmers coming out of Michigan should be suspect.

I'll see if I can find a well written, more comprehensive article about this and videos to put up.

What they did to this independent farmer was ridiculous and a abuse of power. What they did to all them was unconstitutional and illegal.

To take someones property away without due process and impose unreasonable fines happens way to often. So much so that when we let unchecked regulations violate the law.

Old 07-28-2014, 03:01 AM   #27
Dennis Hultman
As a side note, The virus that killing off all those pigs in Michigan is hitting all those factory farms. Mike's heritage breed hasn't had any loses.

Swine industry has lost 8 million.

Also, the invasive species part is laughable because no pig in Michigan is native. I can't think of any farm animal that is.

Also, isn't there really only one species of pig? Aren't these pigs and the factory farm pigs come from eurasian boar?

Old 07-28-2014, 03:11 AM   #28
Dennis Hultman
In the beginning

Old 07-28-2014, 03:13 AM   #29
Dennis Hultman
HOGWASH

Old 07-28-2014, 03:16 AM   #30
Dennis Hultman

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!