High End Herps (Inquiry) - Page 220 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:07 PM   #2191
Wraith
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Hultman View Post
It has been a long time since Kathryn "Spiritualosophy" posted here. She knew Damon and helped out here. She also mentioned the girl that left California with Damon or at-least the girl that he was engaged to when she last seen him was "Brittany".

She looked at some pictures early on in this thread but pictures weren't that good.
I wish she would come on and look at the mugshots of Tawni. I sent her a email.
I seem to vaguely remember it being confirmed that Brittany = Tawni.. just can't remember how far back it would have been.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:11 PM   #2192
zzzdanz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
I seem to vaguely remember it being confirmed that Brittany = Tawni.. just can't remember how far back it would have been.
Thought I saw something like that as well.

Old 05-01-2011, 03:02 AM   #2193
SirenSanJose
This is a pretty good, well researched, "makes snake owning look normal", positive article on the snakes in question. (Check out the part in red, though!)

http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/04/29/3038753/79-snakes-slither-to-safety-in.html

By John Henry

jfhenry@star-telegram.com

FORT WORTH -- The Humane Society of North Texas is taking its mission of compassion to a new scale.

This week, an East Texas judge granted custody of 79 nonvenomous snakes to the nonprofit. The reptiles had been seized in an animal cruelty investigation and are all constrictors, including a rock python, anacondas and "a few things in between," said Tammy Roberts, the Humane Society's lead cruelty investigator.

"As far as I know, this is one of the largest snake seizures our agency has dealt with," said Roberts, who credited the DFW Herpetological Society with a big assist. "You can tell they're starting to feel better because they're a little on the cranky side."

The snakes are 2 to 14 feet long and weigh up to 70 pounds, she said.

Judge Alice Tomerlin ruled that the snakes seized by the Wood County sheriff last week had been cruelly treated while in the custody of Damon James Heynen, a snake dealer alleged to have worked under several aliases, including David Beauchemin, Roberts said.

He was taken into custody on warrants related to animal cruelty charges in Louisiana.

'Pretty pitiful'

"Several [snakes] were emaciated," Roberts said. "Some had upper-respiratory infections, others mouth infections. And almost all were dehydrated.

"They were pretty pitiful."

Tomerlin also declared Heynen financially responsible for the snakes while they are in the Humane Society's care, though society officials agreed that they're more likely to see snow in July than a nickel from Heynen.

Heynen has 10 days to appeal. After that, the Humane Society, working with the herpetological society, will begin looking for new homes for the snakes.

Several zoos have already expressed interest, Roberts said.

Feeding time

The serpents are living in the Humane Society's area for exotic animals, each in a 10- to 12-inch-high bin that is about 4 feet long and 2 feet wide, said Charles Thompson, another employee in rescue and cruelty at the Humane Society.

The bins need to be about 90 degrees at least on one side so proper digestion can take place, said Mark Pyle of the herpetological society.

Officials have not fed the animals out of concern that they might have to be moved if Heynen appeals and wins. Pyle said snakes need 24 to 48 hours to digest food or they risk regurgitation.

He said the snakes will be fed thawed rats or rabbits, depending on the size. Workers will use 4-foot tongs to dangle the bait. Big Cheese Rodent Factory in Fort Worth is donating feeders and discounting other supplies, he said.

"When they get in feeding mode, they want to grab whatever is there," Pyle said. "If your hand is there ... it is a little bit of a tricky task."

Pyle said some snakes can sell for more than $100,000, though none in this collection are worth that much. After a cursory examination, he said Heynen's snakes are probably worth $25 to $300.

"This isn't an ideal place to keep them, but what we're doing short-term is the most logical for us," Thompson said. "We're trying to make sure everything is just right for them."

John Henry, 817-390-7539

Old 05-01-2011, 03:14 AM   #2194
SirenSanJose
Also, an updated photo (the mugshot circulating seems to be from his 2010 arrest in LA)

From this article:
http://www.kltv.com/story/14517212/s...ing-in-wood-co

I guess it's not "as" vital now that he's been fingerprint ID'ed as Damon, but... if he eventually pulls up and runs again, as is his wont, it can't hurt to have a photo history around, y'know? (Plus, it's fairly satisfying to actually see him in cuffs.)

Old 05-04-2011, 07:32 AM   #2196
Suncoast Herpetological
Somewhat ominous that there is still no sign of Tawni / Brittany.

Maybe our wannabe author from a few pages back knew something we don't.

Old 05-04-2011, 02:26 PM   #2197
Aaron Mattson
I thought this would be pertinant. I hope this is the right forum. According to this news article David Beauchemin has been arrested:

http://www.kltv.com/story/14485852/n...od-co-property

"WOOD COUNTY, TX (KLTV) - Forty-five down and dozens more to go. One by one, State Game Wardens, Wood County Deputies and even Zoo Keepers were called in to ID and move Boas and Albino Burmese Pythons into clean containers with clean water.

Authorities say David Beauchemin was arrested late Tuesday night on the property. He had failed to show up at a court hearing in Louisiana, stemming from 22 counts of animal cruelty."

Copy and paste the above link for the full story.

Old 05-04-2011, 02:37 PM   #2198
zzzdanz
a little late to the party Aaron

Old 05-04-2011, 03:31 PM   #2199
Aaron Mattson
Oh, I'm sorry. I just got back from a trip and I saw that link posted on ks and thought I should post it over here. I didn't see this thread on the first page so I assumed it hadn't been posted yet. Then I did a search and got this thread but I neglected to read the last page before posting. I should have checked to see if there were any new posts before posting. Sorry, my bad.

Old 05-14-2011, 10:10 AM   #2200
Suncoast Herpetological
Anyone have any updates / additional information on this fiasco?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
brian smith, damon heynen, damon smith, high end herps, josh stewart