Reproductive range of Boas - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-14-2014, 05:31 PM   #1
Celtic Constrictors
Reproductive range of Boas

I have been doing some searching on the interwebs for a couple of hours and cannot for the life of me find an age range in which female boa constrictors can successfully breed and give birth to healthy litters.

I have found:

* Approximately 3 years of age is safe to begin sexual reproduction.
* Average lifespan of a Boa is 25-35 years.
* Males reach sexual maturity at 18-24 Months of age

I only ask because I bought a wild type female of unknown age who I would guess is approximately 9 to 12 years of age and had hopes of breeding her with my 8 year old male wild type.

Old 01-14-2014, 06:30 PM   #2
AbsoluteApril
The oldest girls I have bred were 16 and 11. The 11yr old will be 16 this year and I'm planning to breed her again. I don't breed until they are 5 years or older and breed sporadically, so there's always 3-5 years between litters. Simply 'cause I am lazy and keep for fun. My oldest boa is turning 25 this year, she was the one I bred at 16. She could possibly still be going but I only bred her that one time. She is just now starting to show signs of age, basically she won't eat in shed now but that's really all that's changed.

As long as they are healthy and have good muscle tone, I don't see why your boas can't breed.

good luck!

Old 01-15-2014, 12:34 PM   #3
Celtic Constrictors
Excellent information April. Thank you for your reply. I wasn't sure but I suspected they could breed up to about 20 years of age.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:53 PM   #4
TIBOR PAPP
that would be neat to breed that 25 yr old female..I surely would use a motley..lol
congrats on raising her to that age,very good!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!