quick question, need to figure this out before i get my first gecko - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-11-2005, 04:49 PM   #1
houdini1
quick question, need to figure this out before i get my first gecko

Hi my name is Kristy, I currently have a Ball Python, love him to death but oh he is so stubborn and I dont want anymore, So I really want to get Leos. Any way I have read that they need Uv lighting and that they dont. So I figured I would ask cause I dont want to stress them out and have them die because I didn't take the time to figure it out first. So does any one know if they need special lighting? Or what do you all use.
Thank you for your time.
Kristy

Old 12-11-2005, 04:53 PM   #2
snowgyre
Leos don't need special UV lighting. Most nocturnal reptiles don't. In fact, most people don't even use lights at all for their leos, since breeders house leopards in rack systems. These are heated using undertank heat tapes, such as flexwatt.

So no, no special light is required. What I do though is I buy those handy night-time bulbs to heat my 30 gallon exhibition tank. Keeps the cage warm and the light's not bright enough to keep me awake at night.

Old 12-11-2005, 06:16 PM   #3
Rioko
lights

I just use an old aquarium tank light. I use it mainly to see my gecko. (although he tends to hang out in this humid hide)
Attached Images

Old 12-11-2005, 06:30 PM   #4
Gonzalez2293
Talking

Well if you live somewhere where the temperature is cold get a light with a night-time bulb or a infrared bulb because the UTH alone isn't enough to heat the geckos body temperature.You could also get a a bulb that is red because geckos can't see red light.Hope this helps

Old 12-11-2005, 07:53 PM   #5
GeckoStud
Yeah, special lighting probably wont hurt them at all, i don't see why it would. But they don't need it so don't get it, those lights tend to be pretty expensive. I just use regular incandescent bulbs for the day and infra-red bulbs for night time.

Old 12-14-2005, 01:07 PM   #6
Sauradon
Where in Idaho are you Christy? I'm in Pullman, WA for school. Lightning with leos is not important, most of my geckos are in racks with under tank heaters. If you prefer lights I would use one of the nocturnal lights from a pet store, the aim is to hit 90 degrees in the hot end. Hope this helps, Chris.

Old 12-14-2005, 02:17 PM   #7
houdini1
Thank you,

I am in Coeurdalene so were are pretty close. Thanks for the info Those uv lights are really expensive.

Old 12-14-2005, 04:49 PM   #8
snowgyre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauradon
Lightning with leos is not important
No, I don't house my leos with lightning either.

Old 12-14-2005, 06:57 PM   #9
wsmitty
What do you mean by stubborn?

Wayne

Old 12-14-2005, 07:18 PM   #10
houdini1
re: what do you mean by stubborn

I love my bp to death but lately I have been having tons of trouble trying to get him to eat. I posted the problem in the Ball python discussion forum. If you know anything about them you should read it and see if you could give me any advice on getting him to eat or if I am missing something. I am really worried about him.
Kristy

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!